Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online next-gen mmorpg? video inside!

2»

Comments

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by headen

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by kallearses

wtf the people there saying the prototype video looks like crap. i am really confused now..

mmorpg-community vs. massively  different opinions? oO

The Massively people seem to have never played Mortal.  

Yup, this forum has exclusive rights to play/comment on MO  ;)

perhaps the people as Massively don't have the same agenda as some posters here,so they're not as hellbent on making present-day MO sound bad by comparison... well, I thought the prototype video looked pretty... wierd too.  The swimming mobs were cool, but that city looked like an uninventive Morin Khur and rest just seemed a bit buggy... not to hate a pre-pre-pre-pre alpha video of course.

...sigh, yes everyone has an agenda here. 

Well yeah, every conscious thing has agendas, myself included.  You're missing the point of my post I think.  Point is,while things like AI in the video looked better (in a controlled 'filming' environment), all-in-all present day MO looks much better... especially considering that in that video there was no crafting, etc.

Some people are taking humorous exageration as fact than using that 'fact' as indicication of a serious problem, which is a trend I pointed out. 

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

wtf the people there saying the prototype video looks like crap. i am really confused now..

perhaps the people as Massively don't have the same agenda as some posters here,so they're not as hellbent on making present-day MO sound bad by comparison... well, I thought the prototype video looked pretty... wierd too.  The swimming mobs were cool, but that city looked like an uninventive Morin Khur and rest just seemed a bit buggy... not to hate a pre-pre-pre-pre alpha video of course.

Well yeah, every conscious thing has agendas, myself included.  You're missing the point of my post I think.  Point is,while things like AI in the video looked better (in a controlled 'filming' environment), all-in-all present day MO looks much better... especially considering that in that video there was no crafting, etc.

Some people are taking humorous exageration as fact than using that 'fact' as indicication of a serious problem, which is a trend I pointed out. 

I understood your point and I respectfully disagree with it. I had purchased MO on the basis of the Mob AI. I thought it looked amazing to play. I would take that over pretty graphics any day and wished SV would dedicate time to it, but as more time passes I see their focus isn't going anywhere in that direction. Disclaimer: I really am talking about aesthetics over graphics to some extent.

I understood your point and I respectfully disagree with it. I had purchased MO on the basis of the Mob AI. I thought it looked amazing to play. I would take that over pretty graphics any day and wished SV would dedicate time to it, but as more time passes I see their focus isn't going anywhere in that direction. Disclaimer: I really am talking about aesthetics over graphics to some extent.

Are you seriously telling me you made your purchase decision solely because you thought MO's mob AI was gonna be the best?   I'm honestly suprised PvE would ever be the primary selling point for a hardcore player-driven sandbox game... especially MO... seriously, MO barely has PvE, that's just simply not it's focus.  Not saying you're wrong to want that, and I can understand that you'd be frusterated when you realized MO wasn't a PvE-focussed game, but you can't blame the game for focussing on PvP and player-economy-related stuff, which is it's primary focus as I understand them.

Also, when I say "looks better", I wasn't referring to graphics necessarily (although yeah, vast improvements).

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Are you seriously telling me you made your purchase decision solely because you thought MO's mob AI was gonna be the best?   I'm honestly suprised PvE would ever be the primary selling point for a hardcore player-driven sandbox game... especially MO... seriously, MO barely has PvE, that's just simply not it's focus.  Not saying you're wrong to want that, and I can understand that you'd be frusterated when you realized MO wasn't a PvE-focussed game, but you can't blame the game for focussing on PvP and player-economy-related stuff, which is it's primary focus as I understand them.

I think you are giving them to much credit for focusing game on PvP on purpose. They simply failed to implement good enough PvE, as did DF. All nowdays sandboxes are not even worth being called sandboxes, but are simply Full loot mmos. A sandbox is so much more then just an empty world with no forced classes, first person view and advanced crafting system.

Please refrain from trying to make MO look like a good representative of sandbox genre. They simply failed to implement good PvE, which should be least as important as PvP in a good sandbox. Not to mention that MOs "economy" is childs play compared to for example EvE or even WoW.

Fanboism/hate aside, I can't stand people defending obvious flaws in design as intended things.

Originally posted by Toferio

Please refrain from trying to make MO look like a good representative of sandbox genre. 

Fanboism/hate aside, I can't stand people defending obvious flaws in design as intended things.

I think MO is a good representative of the MMO sandbox genre. Please refrain from telling me not to state my opinion.

I can't stand people attacking design decisions that don't match their tastes by calling them defects, so... yeah...