Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can you pitch a game idea to a game making company?

blueplain1blueplain1 Member Posts: 13

I have had many ideas through the years but it was only last night through a half dream that I shot out of bed and thought to myself that is actually a brilliant idea for a game and I want to play it now!. I am going to write this idea here for two reasons.

1, theres a chance a game developer could read it and start making it so I might be able to play it in 5 years

2. I want to see if im deluded in case its not a good idea at all, in either way I would like to state to any game developing company out there that I do not want any intellectual rights to this idea and I pass any ownership to the idea to the company that makes it and all I want in return is a free copy when its finished. Here is the idea.

It is a zombie apocolypse, now before you moan and exit the web page let me tell you why in this very busy setting how this will stand out from the rest.

You start off as a group of survivers surrounding a run down shack in the middle of the countryside. You are armed with basic weaponds and zombies are all around you. With you is a team of AI builders which while your are takeing out the zombies starts building a chain link fence around the shack. This takes time as you defend but once its build you can shoot from inside the fence as the fence can take damge over time and need maintenence. While this is happerning you also need other people to go fetch food and water and first aid ect. As soon as the fence is up you are then able to harvest the wood from the tress and so on, this gives you more build options to create farms, wells, better walls so you dont have to go out of the compound as much. Once you reach a certain size for the compound and you have built a good few facilities and a strong wall you discover a trap door in the shack that leads to an underground bunker full of building material, iron steel ect. The game then picks up alot of pace and you will need people who join you online to contribute in building projects as well as defend. Once your small shack has become a fortress an economy kicks in and you can start an economy trading ect with other fortresses in the area. To a point you could even attack and take over another teams fortress. Once your teck is high enough you can build underground trams to each others fortresses and so on. As you can see a zombie survival shooter evolves to trying to make a permanant home, then to a point were your fighting other people for surpremecy while defending from zombies, (these zombies of which get stronger and more muteted bosses come to try defeat your defences) untill your a city hub with an economy taking in survivers with the skills you want because your place is so good. A company could do monthly subscriptions or your could buy production power, gun power or even the tech or matieral to build with. I think it is a huge money maker and with everyone into zombies so much it would be a best seller. 

I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME NOWWWW!

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Unless you're very incredibly lucky, no developer will develop any idea you or anyone else comes up with. Developers have their own ideas, designers and projects.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

If you would like to pitch an idea, go to college and earn the proper degrees while working your way up the corporate ladder in a gaming company to talk to a developer one on one.

Or just use an open source engine and make a popular enough game to draw developers interest.

Option 2 would probably be a better bet, but both require years worth of work. Neither of which will happen over night.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

You can't pitch a game idea to a game developer. If you had a proper game design document(several hundred pages) that has every aspect of the game covered, then you might be able to pitch to some company.

Ideas are cheap and no company will ever listen to random people's ideas, let alone pay your money for it. Better bet for your is to find a game engine you'd like and try to develop it there, or try and mod a game into fitting with your idea.

• SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

I have a fool proof plan, which is the only way to get a company to make your game idea if you are broke;

step 1; Work for investment bank and climb thier internal ladders, build external reputation, get contacts of capital holders( individuals and funds)

step 2; set up your own new fund for your contacts, to invest in the latest missle targeting systems / medical patents / off shore drilling project they like the look of.

step 3; use that money instead to make your dream game / buy private island with enough private security stop prevent the incoming, freak heart attack/ choke on corflakes/ slip down steps you just happen to incur.

step 4; enjoy your new game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Ideas are cheap, and game developers have studios full of people who have been submitting them for years. Execution has some value, though. If you can create a basicworking version of your game, you could use that to help you try to get funding and build a team to produce it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Ideas are cheap, and game developers have studios full of people who have been submitting them for years. Execution has some value, though. If you can create a basicworking version of your game, you could use that to help you try to get funding and build a team to produce it.

I thought ideas were free.

I mean, an idea and four quarters can buy you a dollar. :)

That's the problem with a normal person rying to sell their idea, that's like trying to sell your carbon dioxide. :(  Everybody generates it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I thought ideas were free.

I mean, an idea and four quarters can buy you a dollar. :)

That's the problem with a normal person rying to sell their idea, that's like trying to sell your carbon dioxide. :(  Everybody generates it.

I went with 'cheap' because that was the word used earlier. :) I agree, though, an idea and a token will get you on a bus.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

game developers usually make games based on their own ideas.  Thats what makes them game developers.

For example, say you took the time to learn the business model for game developing and started programming your own game with a small group of people.  You went so far as to get financial backing from some investors.  You start to hype your game and increase your development team and the game is starting to enter its final stage of development.

then someone you dont know, have never heard of contacts you and pitches a new game idea.  What are the odds that you either drop what you're doing, or seek further investment from your investors to develop this game?

so, point being if you want your ideas developed into a game..become a game developer.  Or, learn the skills needed to be hired by a current game deloper and hope you can climb the ropes and maybe share your ideas with them once you have earned some respect in the team.

Think of it like country music.  Majority of the country music stars dont even write their own music, someone with the skills does this for them.. theyre just a face and a voice.  If you dont have the voice or the face (or..the big name) then you're going to at least have to learn the skills.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

dear game maker:

I have secured $150million dollar funding for a game idea i have, would you be interested in making the game? :D

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Become close friends with someone in the higher ups at a development house or publisher house. If you're not (or are not one), no way to make it happen. If you are, then you have a small chance.

It's all about who you know in this industry, just like in the movie.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Probably why we get such garbage right now, the barrier to entry is huge. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• blueplain1blueplain1 Member Posts: 13

Thanx for the replies so far. I see it is going to be impossible to see my game a reality. Also From what I have been reading game developers will only listen to the gamers  opnion when most of the game has already been made and things start going wrong. Why dont they say ok we are makeing a game and since there been alot of games failing these days and no one has found there true mmo yet how about we open a forum and let you chuck all the ideas in which you can vote on and build a game round the most popular ideas by the gamers for the gamers. I find it rediculus that the people that desighn these games and think of new games are the people that spend most there time in buissness except for the rare few of course and make games off of statisticle data instead from the actual opinions of the people that buy there games. I find it laughable that adding something like oh instead of levels we will just have skill improvements, oh dear thats risky thats not what the statistics say you should do....Oh dam it we will just gamble and hope they like it. ASK US. Alot of us gamers are sick of 1000 quests on a random lore plucked out of  a hat, we dont want to work for the next skill or the next set of armour or even the level. We want story we want depth we want an effect on the world. In the old days of games you had deep meaningfull games that had bad visuals that carnt compare to todays but they lasted the ages because they had to make a game that did not carry itself on how it looked but what it contained. Make charecters that make you cry if they die. Make a people you really want to save and help. We dont need powers to feel powerfull we will feel powerfull through our emotions if we care about the people the setting and the fight that is in a game. Alot of people want to become part of the game they want to live the game and yet there is no emotional attachment at all. I dont care who dies and I dont care if I die. I could instantly descirbe a situation out of charecter creation were your attached. Start as a child see your own mother careing for you. See the hours of cleaning working and always putting you first. Grow up and start helping her then have an evil take her from you. Why do we have to appear in a game all the time a fully fledge warrior ready to pick up a sword.

Be inside a dieing city. hear the screams and the fears. Be trapped and helpless like the rest, curt off and doomed only to get out by the edge of your teeth. Instead its oh thank goodness you are here you can now fight off the invading horde our whole army couldnt because your special. Yeah everyone is special who spawns into the game. Make setting were you need to survive need to really fight to become a warrior that is talked about. I dont want to become a famouse hero for being able to click skill 1 and 2 at a reasonable speed. Were is the difficulty in these games. We dont need just difficulty in dungeons put skill into the fighting itself

Sorry about the rant but through the improvement of technology we have lost the meaning of what we are using it for and we have lost what it is to game. We are gameing because we are entering a reallity which we could not normally do without real danger and see what it is like to take on an alien role that excites and fills us with pride through our actions and success. Please start putting something worth while in your games we all know how fast we can click now.