Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, with all the white noise, there is only one way to see the truth here...

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

...and thats to DL it and try it.

I am not a cash shop fan, to say the least, but I am tired of the 'cool' haters trying to crap on a game just because they think it's leet to have a negative opinion on Smart.

So I am going to have a look. It's free, why not.

I will come back here and give my honest opinion on it as a game (probably reserving my views on it's use of a cash shop, because it'sa given that I'm not going to like that part, but the gameis what it is in that regard and I accept it for the purposes of this).

Sometimes the only way to see the truth is to go looking for it yourself.

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by vesavius

I am not a cash shop fan, to say the least, but I am tired of the 'cool' haters trying to crap on a game just because they think it's leet to have a negative opinion on Smart.

I will come back here and give my honest opinion on it as a game (probably reserving my views on it's use of a cash shop, because it'sa given that I'm not going to like that part, but the gameis what it is in that regard and I accept it for the purposes of this).

Same here.  I will try it out tonight, and give my opinion.  I will finally find out once and for all if it deserves all the hate I gave it, or if it is a hidden gem that I should have started playing a long time ago.

Edit.

Well, here is my opinion.

Downloading was a hassle, and even after downloading it, it refused to play because it said I didn't have a Shader 2.0, despite the fact that I know I do, and crashed every time I tried to play.

While I cannot give an opinion on the gameplay, my opinion of startup is less than favorable.  The mere fact that it requires something to play, and given that it cannot detect it even though it is on my computer, makes me believe that this game does deserve at least some of the hate I have given it.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

hrm, I DLed and got in really easy, no problems at all. It also ran smooth as silk on highest settings once I was in.

This is a first impressions opinion, and I stress that, but I don't see why the hate at all for this game.

Algernon presents itself very well. It has a engaging cartoony world (which isnt my taste but good for what it aims to be) that feels hand crafted and made with care. It also seems a fair size with lots going on. It's play systems are robust and seem complete,with a few originalish twists.

Alll in all, a good experience. Recommended if you like traditional Thempark quest MMOs and F2P.

This game really just needs a rebrand (Alegernon is a awful name and dosent say anything about the title and it would give Quest an excuse to generate some media attention over it), and a launch on Steam (selling the pack that you offer anyhow on account creation).

I would also say, with no intent of malice or insult to Derek Smart, that they need to hire a community/ PR manager, because DS just attracts the wrong kind of attentiom whether it's his fault or not.

There really isnt any reason, if handled right, Algernon couldnt have a decent user base. At the moment though it simply has no profile in the mass market.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

i have tried it before and did not like it myself it is all the same then the existing mmorpgs.

Alganon is the most popular mmo in russia

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Same here.  I will try it out tonight, and give my opinion.  I will finally find out once and for all if it deserves all the hate I gave it, or if it is a hidden gem that I should have started playing a long time ago.

Edit.

Downloading was a hassle, and even after downloading it, it refused to play because it said I didn't have a Shader 2.0, despite the fact that I know I do, and crashed every time I tried to play.

While I cannot give an opinion on the gameplay, my opinion of startup is less than favorable.  The mere fact that it requires something to play, and given that it cannot detect it even though it is on my computer, makes me believe that this game does deserve at least some of the hate I have given it.

If it says you do not have Pixel Shader v2.0 that means either your graphics card does indeed not support Shaders v2.0 or you have a driver issue. It is DirectX that reports the shader version, not the game. If it said that your hardware does not support Pixel Shader v2.0 then the game will simply exit, or not start at all. It does not "crash". Your issue should be directed elsewhere, not at the game.

My opinion on the game is that it is quite good. I like it better than any of the other MMORPG's out at the moment; F2P or not. The download went smoothly and so did installation. I'm loving the offline skill advancement, like EVE has.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

This game isn't flashy and it doesn't have the high tech feel of some of the other fantasy MMO's out there. What it does have is a great community and most of all potential. I'm pretty old school, I remember when pong first came out, I played all the AD&D Gold Box games on a Commadore 64 and it erks me a tad when people quit playing without giving a title a chance. Slow down and play this game,  read the quests and get into the RP of RPG.  

I'm not a fanboy, I have P2P accounts on 3 MMO's but I still love this game because it isn't easy, there are no questhelpers, addons, but most of all it has people helping one another, not talking trash about each other. 

Anyway, like the poster above me said he was going to do, give it a chance, a real chance.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by vesaviusI would also say, with no intent of malice or insult to Derek Smart, that they need to hire a community/ PR manager, because DS just attracts the wrong kind of attentiom whether it's his fault or not.

That's just ludicrous if you don't mind my saying so.

The bottom line is that anon people behind the confines of the Internet think it is OK to insult, harrass and defame someone just because they can. I'm a developer first and foremost - not a business guy or a politician. There is absolutely nothing in me that screams out political correctness. You won't find the likes of Kotick et al defending themselves online and simply because they are completetely detached from the people they are selling games to.

Most devs and pubs don't bother to engage the people who play their games because they either a) can't be bothered or b) they want to tow the PC line c) they don't want to be in the firing line for saying the wrong thing; thus the PR mouthpieces.

Which is why the gaming landscape has changed radically from how it was back in the day when gamers had a direct line to the devs who made the games that they played.

Sure, like most everyone, I'm hardly the poster child for online behavior, but the fact is, I am a game developer who is passionate about what he does. I treat everyone as equals and so I could care less whether or not someone thinks that I shouldn't talk about my games, engage the community etc.  I don't need a mouth piece.

And the fact of the matter is that, for good, bad or worse, it is my name, notoriety, efforts, investment, continued support of a top notch dev team etc that are primarily responsible for Alganon even being a topic of discussion today. How many games do you know of that would still be around given the circumstances of this game's disastrous launch? If you weren't around for the Beta - or even the launch - of the game back in 2009, you won't have an inkling of how far the game has come. In fact, folks from back in 2009 who recently came back, can't even believe that it is the same game.

Anyone who knows anything about the game industry knows that I never - ever - shy in the face of adversity, abuse or whatever - and none of that deters me from whatever goals I set for myself. I treat Alganon as I would any IP that I own. And now that I actually own (along with only two other remaining investors) it, my continuing to push it forward should come as no surprise to anyone who knows anything about me.

The Alganon name and IP are perfectly fine and that is the primary reason why I continue to invest in it. Just because someone says "oh yeah, change the game and it will be even better" doesn't make it so. Out here in the real world - where money and cred - are of utmost importance, we don't consider any such thing. It's not like I don't know anything about building an IP; especially when you consider that I own over six of them and which I single-handedly built from the ground up.

As I mentioned in this interview from last week, the bottomline is that I'm going to do what I do best and I'm going to continue building the Alganon IP.

Anyone who doesn't like the game, doesn't have to play it. Quite frankly, I simply don't care. I care only about those who like the game enough to help us build and promote it. No game caters to everyone and Alganon is no different. I have specific goals and metrics for it; and as long as those are met and maintained, I could care less what anyone thinks, says or feels.

It is only a game.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

Originally posted by Amjoco

This game isn't flashy and it doesn't have the high tech feel of some of the other fantasy MMO's out there. What it does have is a great community and most of all potential. I'm pretty old school, I remember when pong first came out, I played all the AD&D Gold Box games on a Commadore 64 and it erks me a tad when people quit playing without giving a title a chance. Slow down and play this game,  read the quests and get into the RP of RPG.  

I'm not a fanboy, I have P2P accounts on 3 MMO's but I still love this game because it isn't easy, there are no questhelpers, addons, but most of all it has people helping one another, not talking trash about each other. 

Anyway, like the poster above me said he was going to do, give it a chance, a real chance.

Exactly.

There is so much more to the game and community than most are even willing to consider - and simply because everyone likes a good train wreck; even if it is imagined and has no basis in reality.

Edit.

If your system doesn't meet with the game's minimum (shader model 2.0 for example) requirements, well, it won't launch.  That's why we have it plastered all over the game's page, the client page etc. We have people trying to install and run the game on XP w/ SP2 - despite the fact that ALL the OS service packs are required.

Most gamers think that they have an uber system capable of "playing Crysis" - when in fact the most likely scenario is that it probably won't even play a game from 2000, let alone one from 2009.

We haven't made ANY changes to the game's graphics engine which could change the system requirements from what it was back in 2009.

The cards listed are all SM2.0. If the game is saying that it's not detecting it, then one of this is the cause:

1. You don't have an SM 2.0 capable graphics card

2. You don't have the latest video card drivers installed (this won't be the cause, since the card itself is queried directly using its CAPS)

3. You don't have the latest DirectX 9.0c runtime installed (this won't be the cause, since the card itself is queried directly using its CAPS)

Originally posted by dsmart

Edit.

If your system doesn't meet with the game's minimum (shader model 2.0 for example) requirements, well, it won't launch.  That's why we have it plastered all over the game's page, the client page etc. We have people trying to install and run the game on XP w/ SP2 - despite the fact that ALL the OS service packs are required.

Most gamers think that they have an uber system capable of "playing Crysis" - when in fact the most likely scenario is that it probably won't even play a game from 2000, let alone one from 2009.

We haven't made ANY changes to the game's graphics engine which could change the system requirements from what it was back in 2009.

The cards listed are all SM2.0. If the game is saying that it's not detecting it, then one of this is the cause:

1. You don't have an SM 2.0 capable graphics card

2. You don't have the latest video card drivers installed (this won't be the cause, since the card itself is queried directly using its CAPS)

3. You don't have the latest DirectX 9.0c runtime installed (this won't be the cause, since the card itself is queried directly using its CAPS)

1.  I do have an SM 2.0 capable graphics card (it isn't one of the ones listed, but it is SM 2.0 capable)

2.  I am using the latest video card driver

3.  I have the latest DirectX 9.0c runtime installed

And just so you know, my system is a 5-6 YEAR OLD LAPTOP capable of running games like WoW, Forsaken World, Allods Online, Second Life, and Champions Online (albiet at lowered settings). 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Onigod
    i have tried it before and did not like it myself it is all the same then the existing mmorpgs.

How many players does that account for (Russia)? I ask because it seems they make some decent quality stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Amjoco
    Exactly.
    There is so much more to the game and community than most are even willing to consider - and simply because everyone likes a good train wreck; even if it is imagined and has no basis in reality.

Well, there you go. Put a train wreck somewhere in the game. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• gundamwinggundamwing Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Onigod

How many players does that account for (Russia)? I ask because it seems they make some decent quality stuff.

I think he means Allods Online? That was made in Russia, Alganon was made in the U.S.

Games playing: Lotro,Fallen Earth,Star Trek Online.
    Games playing casually: CoX,Guild Wars,FFXIV,Champions Online,DDO.
    Games Played: WoW,DR,L2,RoM,FFXI,Earthrise,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,Rift,Alganon,EVE,G&H Rome Rising.
    Waiting for: Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    PC Specs: Intel i7 990x 3.5ghz, 6gb ddr3 Ram,EVGA GTX 570 SC FTW,EVGA x58 Classified 4-way SLI MB, 2TB HDD 7200rpm, 60GB Intel SSD: OS Drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Westinghouse 21 in. 1680x1050.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by madeux

So you finally get to admit that you were heaping hate on a game you never - ever - played. Nice.

Do you even bother to THINK before typing?  Seriously... do you have any idea what a great PR opportunity you just completely fucked up?

"Hey, glad to see you giving it a try!"

"We really have made a lot of improvements, I hope you enjoy the trial!"

etc.

Instead, we get your snotty, arrogant attiutude.

Which is precisely why he needs to STFU and hire a PR guy.  His game might be more then a flash in the pan in that case.

Was so close to almost downloading this out of boredom, but then he had to come on here and start his arrogant shit again, and I'm reminded why his game will never see a dime of my money.

• gundamwinggundamwing Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by vesaviusI would also say, with no intent of malice or insult to Derek Smart, that they need to hire a community/ PR manager, because DS just attracts the wrong kind of attentiom whether it's his fault or not.

The bottom line is that anon people behind the confines of the Internet think it is OK to insult, harrass and defame someone just because they can. I'm a developer first and foremost - not a business guy or a politician. There is absolutely nothing in me that screams out political correctness. You won't find the likes of Kotick et al defending themselves online and simply because they are completetely detached from the people they are selling games to.

Most devs and pubs don't bother to engage the people who play their games because they either a) can't be bothered or b) they want to tow the PC line c) they don't want to be in the firing line for saying the wrong thing; thus the PR mouthpieces.

Which is why the gaming landscape has changed radically from how it was back in the day when gamers had a direct line to the devs who made the games that they played.

Sure, like most everyone, I'm hardly the poster child for online behavior, but the fact is, I am a game developer who is passionate about what he does. I treat everyone as equals and so I could care less whether or not someone thinks that I shouldn't talk about my games, engage the community etc.  I don't need a mouth piece.

And the fact of the matter is that, for good, bad or worse, it is my name, notoriety, efforts, investment, continued support of a top notch dev team etc that are primarily responsible for Alganon even being a topic of discussion today. How many games do you know of that would still be around given the circumstances of this game's disastrous launch? If you weren't around for the Beta - or even the launch - of the game back in 2009, you won't have an inkling of how far the game has come. In fact, folks from back in 2009 who recently came back, can't even believe that it is the same game.

Anyone who knows anything about the game industry knows that I never - ever - shy in the face of adversity, abuse or whatever - and none of that deters me from whatever goals I set for myself. I treat Alganon as I would any IP that I own. And now that I actually own (along with only two other remaining investors) it, my continuing to push it forward should come as no surprise to anyone who knows anything about me.

The Alganon name and IP are perfectly fine and that is the primary reason why I continue to invest in it. Just because someone says "oh yeah, change the game and it will be even better" doesn't make it so. Out here in the real world - where money and cred - are of utmost importance, we don't consider any such thing. It's not like I don't know anything about building an IP; especially when you consider that I own over six of them and which I single-handedly built from the ground up.

As I mentioned in this interview from last week, the bottomline is that I'm going to do what I do best and I'm going to continue building the Alganon IP.

Anyone who doesn't like the game, doesn't have to play it. Quite frankly, I simply don't care. I care only about those who like the game enough to help us build and promote it. No game caters to everyone and Alganon is no different. I have specific goals and metrics for it; and as long as those are met and maintained, I could care less what anyone thinks, says or feels.

It is only a game.

I agree with you. I think it is awesome the way to talk to the players. People will hate on the devs/games and know that they will never get talked back to and will always hear a PR guy/girl to try and keep everyone calm. But when someone like you fires back at the people that keep spewing lies, hate etc. for the game and or devs they get defensive and act like "what did I do wrong, why are you mad at me?". I like it when a dev gives you the bottom line and tells you as it is. One of the things I like about Xsyon was that we are in contact with the main guy that runs the game/company. There is no PR person that we have to talk to. So kudos to you Mr. Derek Smart.

I also want to say that I was one of the Beta testers and was their at launch when I purchased that game. The game was not my cup of tea, BUT, I did see potential for it to be a really great and fun game. I will be checking out the game again whenever I find the time to download and update the game. What is making me come backis the player/guild housing, new race and new class. Those three things are what I was actually waiting to see in Alganon and you guys put it all in an expansion. I hope Alganon takes off when word gets out more on the changes, and I bet more people will check the game out once the comics come out and I am REALLY looking forward to those!

Sorry for the long post.

Games playing: Lotro,Fallen Earth,Star Trek Online.
    Games playing casually: CoX,Guild Wars,FFXIV,Champions Online,DDO.
    Games Played: WoW,DR,L2,RoM,FFXI,Earthrise,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,Rift,Alganon,EVE,G&H Rome Rising.
    Waiting for: Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    PC Specs: Intel i7 990x 3.5ghz, 6gb ddr3 Ram,EVGA GTX 570 SC FTW,EVGA x58 Classified 4-way SLI MB, 2TB HDD 7200rpm, 60GB Intel SSD: OS Drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Westinghouse 21 in. 1680x1050.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by zeowyrm

So you finally get to admit that you were heaping hate on a game you never - ever - played. Nice.

Do you even bother to THINK before typing?  Seriously... do you have any idea what a great PR opportunity you just completely fucked up?

etc.

Which is precisely why he needs to STFU and hire a PR guy.  His game might be more then a flash in the pan in that case.

Was so close to almost downloading this out of boredom, but then he had to come on here and start his arrogant shit again, and I'm reminded why his game will never see a dime of my money.

It's really sad because the idea of a dev actively participating in these forums, looking for feedback, and interfacing fans and potential fans is amazing...  But this guy just pushes people away, but he's too arrogant to even admit it, so he'll never hire a PR person to handle it for him.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

/sigh... Derek...  could you not see I wasnt one of the haters that you needed to rant against? Can't you see when someone is being reasonable and giving your product not only a chance but a FAIR chance,and actually recommending it for what it is?

You could have thanked me for generating a positive thread on this game and saying positive things and supported it with positive input. Instead you chose to focus on that smal part and write all that.

Anyhow, I don't want to be drawn into a fire fight here, that wasnt the aim and it just generates the exact white noise the title talks about... the white noise that is hiding the real signal that you have a decent fun product here that people should try if it fits their taste.

peace.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by zeowyrm

etc.

It's really sad because the idea of a dev actively participating in these forums, looking for feedback, and interfacing fans and potential fans is amazing...  But this guy just pushes people away, but he's too arrogant to even admit it, so he'll never hire a PR person to handle it for him.

Have to say they are right, a nicer response would have gone further for you.

Knowing you can't please all the people all of the time is just reality but what is also reality is that you get more flies with honey than you do with dung.  Admitting where things went awry, owning to past mistakes whether they were your own or not.  I always say it semi in jest since I live in Phoenix but I point out if they hired me to do their talking they would definitely have more players.  There is a fine line between defending yourself and your product and putting people off from it, I think that is all people are really trying to say.  I did play Alganon in it's beta, btw so I am not some person who never has tried it.  Though admittedly not been in it recently though I have thought about it.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

etc.

I agree.  Sad really as Mr. Smart is capable of some very informative, warn and even funny posts on here. Still, I give him props for hes frequent and personal contact with the community.  Many developers could take a lesson from that.

Still, not a fan of the game and its development...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• MadotoMadoto Member Posts: 31

(mod edited)

First, I would like to apologise for my english.

Second, do you even read what mr. Smart says?He just congratulates the guy, because he admit that he made a mistake a year ago.What is wrong with that?Just because you hate mr. Smart it doesnt mean that he is a bad person.You cant admit when someone says the truth and you start insulting him.

If you are smart  enough you would give Alganon a try no matter what mr. Smart says or does, because the game is AWESOME, but people like you ruin it, because there are many other good players that dont play Alganon, because they read on the forums that some stupid kids whine and cry about Alganon and mr. Smart.Have you EVER played Alganon?Have you EVER reached more than 5 lvl?If not then dont say anything about the game, I have a max lvl character and I can say the game is AWESOME!!!They have some problems with the lag, but in the end of the day almost every game has lag.

Have a nice day everyone.

Originally posted by Madoto

(mod edited)

First, I would like to apologise for my english.

Second, do you even read what mr. Smart says?He just congratulates the guy, because he admit that he made a mistake a year ago.What is wrong with that?Just because you hate mr. Smart it doesnt mean that he is a bad person.You cant admit when someone says the truth and you start insulting him.

If you are smart  enough you would give Alganon a try no matter what mr. Smart says or does, because the game is AWESOME, but people like you ruin it, because there are many other good players that dont play Alganon, because they read on the forums that some stupid kids whine and cry about Alganon and mr. Smart.Have you EVER played Alganon?Have you EVER reached more than 5 lvl?If not then dont say anything about the game, I have a max lvl character and I can say the game is AWESOME!!!They have some problems with the lag, but in the end of the day almost every game has lag.

Have a nice day everyone.

What Smart said was a backhanded comment.  It seemed like he was congratulating me, but in truth he was insulting me.  That is why people are hating on Smart in this thread; they are saying that the biggest reason why they are not playing Alganon is not because it has bad gameplay or anything, but it is Smart's behavior that is keeping them away.

• KralomaxKralomax Member UncommonPosts: 2

Ok, I have a favor to ask, please don't hate here. If you dislike Mr. Smart go to a forum you do like because I love this game and want more players to have fun with. Thank you as a fellow gamer I hope you understand this.

Also, Mr Smart don't hang out here! I know you don't care what others say but your hurting us. It's that simple, go to the Alganon forum and voice your opinions there.

Now, I'm going to go kill stuff!

• cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73

I for one dont mind this game. Been playing a little every now and then.  I personally dont like the big changes to the mana regen on the mages and priest but thats another story.  Made a account over here cuase its to hard to really say anything on there forums due to fanboys and others just hounding you for a opion. Mr Smart doesnt seem to bad just needs to find a better way to express himself.

• fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

I respect DS's honesty , and his strong views , and goals for Alganon. He knows what he wants as a delevoper , but  his people skills are just absolute crap. Cant take critism? Then why bother posting in the forums? So you can rage on the haters?

That just looks bad , and not very professional ! Another problem is that DS Stated that he doesnt care if we hate the game or dont play it. With an attitude like that your game will never do well..... well because you dont care !

If DS is happy with his small community of 100 players , well good for him for not setting the bar to high.

Word of advice to you DS... Maybe you should care...unless of coarse your happy with the playerbase.

Also raging on someone who admits his or her mistakes was the worst move i've seen. The person admitted to not giving the game a fair shot before hating on it. That took alot of courage to do.

What do you do DS?..instead of encouraging them to try it out. You push them away with negativity.

So to sum it up..If DS doesnt want an PR guy. Maybe DS needs to STFU and keep his personal feelings off the forums.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

At this point I believe QoL is working with a small, efficient team.  They probably can't afford to replace Tork.  This is unfortunate because Tork was exceptional at what he did.

If they can afford to replace him but choose not to, then that is a big mistake.  DS seems to know that he can rub people the wrong way.  Noone should ask him to change who he is, but they can ask him to let someone else try to attract new customers and keep the existing ones.

My personal opinion is that their official forums got hit with a heavy hammer once DS arrived, it had to be rainbows and unicorns or else it was getting in the way.  Players need to know that they can be honest and even criticize what DS says/does from time to time.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I believe that for the sake of this game that I love to play, we should just not speak of "him" here. The less he is here the less bad publicity the game gets. I vote for only raving of the game here from now on. If we have problems we should bring it up on the Alganon forum. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.