Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Labour Points, blessing or curse?

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I love the concept of having a limited amount of slowly recharging labour points to gather, mine and craft stuff in Arch Age; allowing you to sell your labour to the highest bidder sounds like a very cool feature and it might limit farming by RMT companies but I wonder how much it will limit those players that love to specialize in crafting and focus on that gameplay aspect.

Will those players burn through their LP in a short time each day and be forced to do other stuff than gathering and crafting in an average game session of a few hours?

Any crafters that played the beta's who can comment on this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

In a sandbox game, you should be free to do what you want. So I don't see why people are going to be limited in the amount of gathering and crafting they do.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by ghoul31

In a sandbox game, you should be free to do what you want. So I don't see why people are going to be limited in the amount of gathering and crafting they do.

Well, apparently you are limited in doing those things. That's why I was asking.

"To make anything in ArcheAge, you need materials. There’s no “god” material like Aion’s “aether” that can be transmuted into other things, so there’s no shortcuts gatherers can take to amass a quick fortune. You’ve got to pick apples from an apple tree if you want to bake something with apples in it. Cut down trees for wood, mine for stone, ore, and minerals, etc. Everything make sense, everything has a place and time and order and use in ArcheAge’s crafting system. Everything costs labor points to harvest or craft.

Real quick, let us define labor points for those of you who are learning about this stuff for the first time: labor points (LP) are one of ArcheAge’s three main character statistics, alongside health points (HP) and mana points (MP). Literally LP is displayed right next to those two stats near the top of the screen.

Labor points increase rather slowly, at a rate of around one per every ten minutes or so, even while you are signed out of your character. Labor points decrease much quickly. Some things, like crafting a simple item, cost 1 LP to do. Other actions, like mining, cost 2 to 3 labor points each attempt, depending on the difficulty of the task (mining minerals is more difficult than mining stone).

~

Before you go off thinking this is some kind of divine gift to bots and farmers, pause and do some math. Even if every labor action in the game cost 1 LP, which they don’t, you’d quickly exhaust your supply of labor by just gathering materials on one character. “So what?” you say. “Just sign on a different character and keep going!” We tried this, and it doesn’t help much.

We used up around 1000 labor points to build a boat by gathering mats, upgrading mats, and finally putting the boat together. CBT3 accounts were limited to 4 characters each, and newly-made characters only start with 10 LP. Once you use up all your characters LP, you might as well just go to sleep for 17 hours until your points are recharged. “Why not just have a second account?” You’re going to pay for that? Really?

No, labor points are meant to be used sparingly, thoughtfully. You’re supposed to think before you waste your character’s labor power on chopping down an apple tree instead of harvesting from it (yeah, you can do that). You’re supposed to put your own character’s labor up for sale, sell your LP to the highest bidder so he or she can get her house or boat built in a reasonable amount of time, etc."

source

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I was a bit gobsmacked by that too .... why would you limit that .... sandbox is about having no limits.

Anyways, if it turns out to be enough to be gathering for say two or 3 hours a day, i'm fine with it ... but i would hate to find myself without labour points in half an hour.

Also my gaming time concentrates around friday and saturday nights .... i wouldn't mind accumulating the points i didn't use during the week, so i can spend 8 hours on gathering when i do have the time for long sessions.

Would love to hear clarification on this topic.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Kind defeats the purpouse of sandbox but i think it´s a good thing for the economy.

I HATE CRAFTING LIKE THE FIRES OF THE BUNRING HELL OF THE ALMIGHTY DRAGON THAT SITS STUDYING COMPILERS AT WEEKENDS soo would be nice to sell my labor points, gain some money, and help the comunity grow.

:)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Kind defeats the purpouse of sandbox but i think it´s a good thing for the economy.

I HATE CRAFTING LIKE THE FIRES OF THE BUNRING HELL OF THE ALMIGHTY DRAGON THAT SITS STUDYING COMPILERS AT WEEKENDS soo would be nice to sell my labor points, gain some money, and help the comunity grow.

nah.. think is like "stamina" you cant work forever..

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

As far as I understand it you won't sell your actual points to someone, as in: your points getting added to the buyers total. But he or she hires YOU to spend your points working for one of his or her crafting goals so you still need to craft yourself. Not sure about this though. *Curious is*.

@MarlonB: yeah, exactly my stance. Three hours or so woud be great. Burning through them in a short while would be terrible as I love crafting and gathering and don't want to be forced to quest / grind / pvp when I don't feel like it.

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

Sounds like it's just the ArcheAge Labour Union Rules to me.  

Probably be a strike in the near future. 

• deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

This game has some themepark and some sandbox elements.  This game isn't anywhere close to being a total sandbox.  Still can't wait for it though)

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

The labor point system concerns me too. I love the concept of Archeage but I'm mainly a crafter. Labor points sound like energy in Facebook games....you use them up in 5 minutes and either you buy some more for cash or you have to log out for 3 hours before you can do something again. 

I see no point in this limitation, why should I be forced to fight something when I'd like to craft or gather ?

This is a much bigger limitation than what FFXIV placed on players with the fatique system. Hardly anyone has met the limit in FFXIV, but its very easy to run out of labor points in AA.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

I got it intenet police o/

text comprehension ftw

gee...

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by DarkPony

I love the concept of having a limited amount of slowly recharging labour points to gather, mine and craft stuff in Arch Age; allowing you to sell your labour to the highest bidder sounds like a very cool feature and it might limit farming by RMT companies but I wonder how much it will limit those players that love to specialize in crafting and focus on that gameplay aspect.

Will those players burn through their LP in a short time each day and be forced to do other stuff than gathering and crafting in an average game session of a few hours?

Any crafters that played the beta's who can comment on this? Would be greatly appreciated.

It's a reasonable solution for most of the player base but perhaps not the extreme.  In any case,  you can buy other players labor.  So there is a competition/market angle to the game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

The reason for labor points is that so that A) There is a need for interdependancy, which is 100% necessary for a sandbox-style crafting system, and B) So that every goon on the planet doesn't run through with his guild of goons chopping and destroying every tree, stone, etc. on every timer so that no one on the server can get materials. These things grow back slowly, just like your labor points return slowly.

My only gripe with the labor system is that it's not seperated for Building and Gathering. I would prefer a different pool for the two of them so that I'm not limited to gathering one day, building the next, or gathering for a week and building on Sunday.

• anastaiaanastaia Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Sinella

"This is a much bigger limitation than what FFXIV placed on players with the fatique system. Hardly anyone has met the limit in FFXIV"

While I'm not sure what FFXIV you played where people don't hit the fatigue system. I am Plagued with it every day i do leves. Every 36 hours for atleast 12 hours of my game play Across 4 different classes i am being EXP penalised for gaining experience "quickly" and over a "lengthy" amount of time. Due to the fact that the Fatigue timer does not reset for a full Fu*king week! FFXIV suffers greatly due to its fatigue system. and as such they are trying to find an alternative to it quickly. It's never a good thing to punish a person with time to play the game for using it.

broken, missing, the torment of
    my soul...

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Well i guess puting some rarity into the crafting system is the point of such system. In all mmo crafting/economy suffer from endless supply.

The only thing i'm worried about is the Eve syndrom of first served, best served. How are they balancing the new commers, will they be able to even be as good blacksmith as a vet? Is there a kind of softcap into the crafting/gathering skill?

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by anastaia

Originally posted by Sinella

"This is a much bigger limitation than what FFXIV placed on players with the fatique system. Hardly anyone has met the limit in FFXIV"

While I'm not sure what FFXIV you played where people don't hit the fatigue system. I am Plagued with it every day i do leves. Every 36 hours for atleast 12 hours of my game play Across 4 different classes i am being EXP penalised for gaining experience "quickly" and over a "lengthy" amount of time. Due to the fact that the Fatigue timer does not reset for a full Fu*king week! FFXIV suffers greatly due to its fatigue system. and as such they are trying to find an alternative to it quickly. It's never a good thing to punish a person with time to play the game for using it.

Now imagine that not only you don't get exp when you fight with fatique, but you can't fight AT ALL. I hope they will balance it somehow in AA, the current system makes the game unplayable for non-combat oriented players.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

To give you all some insight...

There's a limit to make ressources a finite amount based on server-population. Finite ressources in conjunction with loss of or breaking of items are a key to build a fully functional playerdriven economy. Supply shouldn't exceed demand too much to keep prices rather stable.
    This limit also helps to level the playingfield between the players, as not every player has time to play several hours a day. If gathering and crafting would only be a question of time invested, then the casual players would be disadvantaged even more.

And yes, it also prevents botting.

Originally posted by Yalexy

There's a limit to make ressources a finite amount based on server-population. Finite ressources in conjunction with loss of or breaking of items are a key to build a fully functional playerdriven economy. Supply shouldn't exceed demand too much to keep prices rather stable.

This limit also helps to level the playingfield between the players, as not every player has time to play several hours a day. If gathering and crafting would only be a question of time invested, then the casual players would be disadvantaged even more.

Yeah I can clearly see all the advantages and realism to such a system but still there is the question: will players who like to craft a lot burn through their LP in a short time each day and be forced to do other things?

There is realism also to a game offering a lot of choice in gameplay aspects as well as rewarding those who put in a lot of time and effort into a certain aspect rather than having even casual crafters being able to keep up with a short time and effort investment each day and then move on to do other stuff which essentially turns crafting into ... *dum, dum, dummmm* ... "daily crafts".

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Yeah I can clearly see all the advantages and realism to such a system but still there is the question: will players who like to craft a lot burn through their LP in a short time each day and be forced to do other things?

There is realism also to a game offering a lot of choice in gameplay aspects as well as rewarding those who put in a lot of time and effort into a certain aspect rather than having even casual crafters being able to keep up with a short time and effort investment each day and then move on to do other stuff which essentially turns crafting into ... *dum, dum, dummmm* ... "daily crafts".

I think you burn through LP rather quickly if that's all you do.  If you are serious enough about it then you will spend your remaining time earning money and paying other people for their labour.

I personally love the idea of LP.  Sadly, I bet RMT farmers will work together and create some serious monopolies.  But at least they won't be able to bot while doing it. 

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Look at EvE Online, and see that it works perfectly fine with such limits, if the system is finetuned. In EvE there's aswell limits like production-slots, time needed to crtaft items, limited amount of ressources from moons etc.

Beeing only a crafter isn't the way to go... you need to combine crafting with trading to have enough to do, if you don't want to fight.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

This might be the perfect system to bring MMO back in crafting.

People can complain about limitations and not being able to craft all day. In reality, this will reduce the "i need no one and can build everything by myself" mentality. I can't wait to hear more about this.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

no, it will just force everyone to craft and gather for an hour a day. The people who want to do it all day won't be able to. And the people who hate crafting and gathering will have to do it because it will be so valuable.

So it just makes everyone do what they don't want to do.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

no, it will just force everyone to craft and gather for an hour a day. The people who want to do it all day won't be able to. And the people who hate crafting and gathering will have to do it because it will be so valuable.

Would you rather botting be rampant and crafting/gathering be worthless?

This is not them saying "this is an innovative system that will appeal to every one", this is them saying, "this is our way on how to combat botting so your time spent doing these tasks will not be in vain."

See the difference? As much as they would like to give you complete freedom, there will be those who would abuse such freedoms.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Really? It's only an hour a day? Man, I guess I'm just a pansy and cool enough to post info as fact about an aspect of a game that I don't know about.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

It's for balance, and it's a key element of the game.  What else did you expect?   In most games, if you avoid crafting and gathering you are hindering your character.  Perhaps it's a bit more extreme in Archeage, but that's just the way it is.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Mining should take a long time.  Making a weapon should take a very long time.  So, crafters get cut some slack as it is.  This is a better approach imo as it give players a number of "man hours" per day to do something they want to do.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"