Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will gw2 live up to his hype?

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

It'll live up to my hype. Cant speak for others and how hyped they are for this game.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Yeah of course it will in the same way Guild wars 1 lived up to all the promises Anet made.... oh wait.

It will be a good game that will hopefully bring something new and will have lower expectations due to its pricing model.

Looking forward to making it my bit on the side

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

It's not possible for anything to live up to the unreal expectations of the MMO community. Ever. It has never and WILL never happen.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Arenanet will follow the same design principles they used in GW1, they will add a bunch of new features such as a non instanced world, Autogrouping for bosses, massive dungeons and quest lines.

It will be a ton of awesome.

The PVP will again set the standard just as it did in GW1. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by ichimarunico

It's not possible for anything to live up to the unreal expectations of the MMO community. Ever. It has never and WILL never happen.

Agreed. Some people are acting like GW2 is Jesus coming to save us.

I have no doubt it will be a good game, that is very fun and hopefully a very different experience than many mmos out there. Living up to the hype is impossible though.

I hope it snatches up a large amount of players so that the industry will take notice that non-conventional means of "questing" can work too.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

yes... yes it will

imageimage

• KaynokKaynok Member Posts: 111

The hype isn't unreachable. If the hype was the mmo community thinking GW2 will be a perfect game then yes that would be unreachable. Every game has a flaw or two(or a lot more than that). But be realistic, nobody here is expecting a perfect game. It even says on the hype rating of 8.73. If people here expected a perfect game, than it would be 10s across the board.

So the question is, will GW2 live up to the hype? Simple answer is probably yes. ArenaNet is too good of a game developer tbh. The problem here is the most MMO fans generalize MMO developers. And they try their hardest to be cynical, that's why even some people refuse to aknowledge ANet and only say that NCSoft is making the game so that's reason enough that it'll be bad.

MMO fans are gullible. They get so excited for a game that they shouldn't be excited about in any way shape or form. So they act like it's the developers fault when they're disappointed. It's really not. It's the fans' faults. Invest your time in a game that deserves it. And some people might say "it's easy to trick fans when the game hasn't been released yet!". But that's why you look at the developer's past history. I mean, even with the original Guild Wars they never did promote their game as an MMO. They promoted it as a CO-RPG. But what happened? The fans expected a full out MMO despite what ArenaNet said. So a lot of fans were disappointed but it wasn't ArenaNet's fault on that one. It was the fans. And despite all that, Guild Wars has been welcomed in by the MMO community despite it not being an actual MMO. That's because ArenaNet is a community game developer. They build games for the fans, not for themselves. Don't look at the fans past history. Look at the developers'. ArenaNet has rarely if ever pointed their fans in the wrong direction. And that's why this game will probably live up to the hype.

They've worked on the game for years before even releasing any type of info on it. They announced it than disappeared. They didn't promise anything. They didn't give us any hints. They just disappeared and worked on their game. For us. They wanted to make sure that everything they were trying to do was possible. And they ended up making it possible.

I personally can't wait for the game. And I won't be disappointed because I have realistic expectations. I expect an amazing game but not a perfect one. Just like most people here.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Kaneth

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Agreed. Some people are acting like GW2 is Jesus coming to save us.

I have no doubt it will be a good game, that is very fun and hopefully a very different experience than many mmos out there. Living up to the hype is impossible though.

I hope it snatches up a large amount of players so that the industry will take notice that non-conventional means of "questing" can work too.

Agreed; GW2 will likely be a good game for players with realistic expectations but hype always winds up being ridiculously improbable.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

No probably not, at least not how hyped it is on this forum.  I am only basing this on pretty much every hyped MMO that has come out in the past seven years.  Just like all the ones before it, it's overhyped.  I am in no way saying it will be bad game, I am quite looking forward to playing it, but some of you guys act like GW2 is going to be the second coming of JC himself. 

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

As far as I'm concerned, yes it will.  There's a couple big things for me.  One, ArenaNet has said on this very site that they won't talk about anything in the game unless it's already in the game and working.  So no unfulfilled promises. 

And secondly, we're seeing half hour and hour long unbroken demo footage.  It's not like we're all just basing the hype off the manifesto trailer.  We've seen multiple zones and events, almost all the classes, several boss fights, the start of two personal storylines.

I get that people are skeptical, they've been burned before.  I don't have blinders on.  Maybe the dynamic events won't scale correctly.  Or that the combat isn't great or ArenaNet will not balance things, or it'll be buggy.  There's a million things that could go wrong and any one which doesn't get fixed is going to make the game not live up to the hype.  But ArenaNet is showing us that they are willing to work on this game as long as they have to in order to make it right.

Right now I think the bar is pretty low.  People have been burned by games before and people are just looking for any WoW alternative.  Objectively speaking, a not broken MMO that is also B2P should be a 10 on the hypemeter right there.  But GW2 promises to go way further with 1500+ dynamic events, 6 large major cities each with a unique feel, 5 leveling paths, personal branching storylines, at least 8 dungeons (or more).  The list of features and innovations goes on and on.

If ArenaNet was going to screw this up, they'd have just released the game a year ago.  I have high expectations for the game and everything I've seen and read makes me believe they will be met.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

GW2 doesn't have to live up to the hype. It just needs to be a good, quality MMO that delivers on many promises and is "better" in someway to GW1.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

ArenaNet can get criticized for lots of things but one thing ArenaNet does compared to so many others is that they always deliver a good game. Their track record speaks for itself.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by SaintViktor

ArenaNet can get criticized for lots of things but one thing ArenaNet does compared to so many others is that they always deliver a good game. Their track record speaks for itself.

Lol. I completely agree. Their 1 game that they released plus its expansions was definitely a good game, so I'd say that this 1 game gave ANet a surefire 100% trackrecord of good games image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Dunno, don't care. I want it, I need it. I'd want it even if everyone else decided they didn't. I like Guild Wars, I like Anet, I like their design philosophy and I love what they're doing with their game. Played the demo at PAX and had to give my turn to the guy behind me before I had a seizure from the nerdgasm.

The hype is irrelevant. People, both for and against, should give it a break. The game will speak for itself and, believe it or not, there are some that won't like it. I anticipate there are many that will, but it's impossible to please 100% of the population 100% of the time.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

I'm just using the many demos as a guage right now. That way I wont be dissapointed. I of course HOPE for more great stuff, like PvP and all that. But hoping is not hyping, expecting is hyping.

As for those who said that if the game matches the hype, then the fans have no imagination... that's not true. Hype is expectation, not wishes. The fans wish for a perfect game, but they don't expect one. As so, hype can be achieved.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Lol. I completely agree. Their 1 game that they released plus its expansions was definitely a good game, so I'd say that this 1 game gave ANet a surefire 100% trackrecord of good games image

I was about to post the same thing. Vic, it's kind of hard to not always deliver a decent game, when you have only released one game which was decent.

Sorry to those who think it's the best game ever, while it was fun in incremental sittings, it's not something I could play all that much of.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

nothing in the history of the universe has ever lived up to its own hype, its a universal law of physics that nothing will ever live up to its own hype, loaded question, fail troll fail.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by neorandom

nothing in the history of the universe has ever lived up to its own hype, its a universal law of physics that nothing will ever live up to its own hype, loaded question, fail troll fail.

Excuse you, but I live up to my hype every day. 

As far as GW2, of course some things will be over-hyped and people will get dissapointed.  That is just one thing that games, movies, books, ect. all have to live with.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by Malickie

I was about to post the same thing. Vic, it's kind of hard to not always deliver a decent game, when you have only released one game which was decent.

Sorry to those who think it's the best game ever, while it was fun in incremental sittings, it's not something I could play all that much of.

They are much, much larger than before, so you can't even honestly judge them by GW1 (which they also said had many mistakes they learned from).  A lot has changed internally for them, both in people and design goals.

GW2 looks like it will be a good GAME, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for pretty much any MMO on the market (which are good skinner boxes).  Heck, at least it is designed to be a game first and foremost and not designed to give out fun in tiny little doses so you keep playing through a grind and keeping paying sub fees or MTs.  Still, I'll be cautious until there is a demo of some sort, because there are lots of games that look like they should be good that end up being bad.

Their design goals sound good, and overall their demos have looked good.  Right now I have only seen two problems, imho.  First, I think Transmutations Stones are a horrible way to have a cosmetic MT.  Second, The Shatterer was way too immobile and felt unresponsive to the players.  Not sure if the former will get fixed (not a big deal), but they have said that at least other bosses are a lot more mobile.  If they can deliver on their design goals then the game will be great.  Now we can only wait and see if that happens.

I am hopeful.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Drachasor

They are much, much larger than before, so you can't even honestly judge them by GW1 (which they also said had many mistakes they learned from).  A lot has changed internally for them, both in people and design goals.

GW2 looks like it will be a good GAME, which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for pretty much any MMO on the market (which are good skinner boxes).  Heck, at least it is designed to be a game first and foremost and not designed to give out fun in tiny little doses so you keep playing through a grind and keeping paying sub fees or MTs.  Still, I'll be cautious until there is a demo of some sort, because there are lots of games that look like they should be good that end up being bad.

Their design goals sound good, and overall their demos have looked good.  Right now I have only seen two problems, imho.  First, I think Transmutations Stones are a horrible way to have a cosmetic MT.  Second, The Shatterer was way too immobile and felt unresponsive to the players.  Not sure if the former will get fixed (not a big deal), but they have said that at least other bosses are a lot more mobile.  If they can deliver on their design goals then the game will be great.  Now we can only wait and see if that happens.

I am hopeful.

I too think it will be a great game (now), of course as we move closer to launch anything can happen. My only gripe so far with GW2 was when I saw a Char spinning around like taz during a combat ability. If that's all I have to complain about there's really nothing to complain about :), which I can't say for TOR which I've been following a lot more closely as well as TSW.

That's a good point you started off with to.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Malickie

Well Guild Wars seemed to attract the fans that did not go the Blizzard route with WoW. Ofcourse not everyone loved Guild Wars due to whatever reason but ArenaNet still managed to sell over 6 mill copies of the game and create a large loyal fanbase like Blizzard had done with their games.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Hype means expectations. Well, I don't know about the general expectations, but I do know what mine are and I have yet to see anything that makes me unhappy with the game. Yes, there still will be problems of one sort or another, but I do expect those kinds of things, so...

And there's this one thing about GW2 and me. I absolutely hate watching other people play games, even though I'd probably enjoy doing the same thing if I was the one playing instead. And I've seen plenty of gameplay vieos from the conventions and I've loved every single bit of them. So if this game can get such a reaction out of me when just watching someone else play, I wonder how cool it would be when I actually get my hands on it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Im just gonna say that i think a lot of us that are waiting for a new mmo to call home are going to get their wish in the next couple years. hype? maybe. long overdue? definitely. something for everyone? absolutely.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Lets yust coclude it like this then :P :

Everyone here will buy the game

Everyone here will play it

Everyone here feels like it takes ages before GW2 gets released

:D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

When the poll said 'his hype', I assumed you meant mine, since it's the only hype that counts.

In which case, I assume it will, because I'm a fairly reasonable person with modest expectations.