Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow, looks cool

BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137

So when I saw this on the most anticipated games in development list ahead of The Old Republic I thought the hype rating must have been rigged by the developer or the community, but that beta 3 video looks very intriguing.  I was expecting to have to counter act the hype and bring it down a little but now this game has been officially added to my radar.

I've always wanted to see a fantasy based sandbox mmo where the world could be shaped by the player base, and now it looks like an attempt will atleast be made on a full scale.  I hope the balance and gameplay allow for the sandbox control to be on the scale of Eve Online but in the fantasy realm, but I guess only time will tell.

Props to XL Games and I hope this game continues to develop in the right direction.

Comments

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174

This game would have had a chance of actual success had they redone the character models and fully westernized it. Americans in general do not want to play as a dude that looks like a chick; or be involved with the little cutesy asian themes and stupid looking mobs. I'm sure there will always be a handful that enjoy it, but the time for dark, manly, mmorpgs... is now, not next year, right now. R.I.P. to Archage before it even releases.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Cothor

This game would have had a chance of actual success had they redone the character models and fully westernized it. Americans in general do not want to play as a dude that looks like a chick; or be involved with the little cutesy asian themes and stupid looking mobs. I'm sure there will always be a handful that enjoy it, but the time for dark, manly, mmorpgs... is now, not next year, right now. R.I.P. to Archage before it even releases.

strongly disagree, I really like their character models, though I understand that art is objective and not everyone will like the same look I personally don't see the problem.  I mean honestly the males in this game do not look "Like a chick" in my book.  I also do not see this "cutesy asian theme" that you speak of...  I really am confused by what that even means.  Like hello kitty or something?  I don't see that in this game at all.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Please don't try to pass your personal prejudices onto "Americans in general".

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Character models are up to par to most popular western titles (both current and upcoming) and the armor and style are mostly to the medieval side (e.g. armor, buildings, carts etc.). The only renowned MMO that has "manly" characters so far is EvE and that is not even fantasy. The mobs obviously look fine and none of the races is cutesy so far. Honestly, I think it comes down to whoever publisher will pick up this game in the west eventually, which is my only concern so far.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Then we must be following entirely different archeage games or you must be trolling, because nothing in character designs even screams asian to me, its the most "western" looking design to come from eastern country yet...

Characters do not even have trademark asian facial features

How the hell does anything in this look even remotelly asian?How the hell does anything in this look.even.remotelly.asian?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Yuui, I've been asking people the exact same thing countless times on these forums. People scream that it looks too asian/anime influenced and I ask how and why? So far, nobody has even attempted to answer me, they just claim it as if it were fact without any backup.

I've watched countless videos and looked at tons of screenshots of L2, Aion, blade and soul, TERA, and even some F2P asian games that nobody really plays alongside AA and I don't see it. AA has environments that remind me of Vanguard but better, and the character models look manly too, yes the females have large breasts but they do in western games too. Oh and, I haven't seen any giant blue fired glowing weapons either. And I haven't seen any cutesie characters like the ones from, FFXI and TERA, even though LOTRO has those hobbit guys and it's not considered an asian/anime looking game. The only thing I can think of is it's doesn't have the cartoony art style that WoW and WAR have (which I hate).

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Simply put if the game is good  people will play it and the character models are fine to me. If you see all the toons as little girls then something is wrong with you and not the game.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Yeah so true. FFXI had almost no customization for character models, you could pick race, sex, 1 of 8 pre-made faces, and short, medium, or tall. Yet I played that game for years along with many other people. At the same time more choices is always a better thing. Right now I'm looking forward to finding out what the un-announced races in AA are going to be.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Laughing-man

strongly disagree, I really like their character models, though I understand that art is objective and not everyone will like the same look I personally don't see the problem.  I mean honestly the males in this game do not look "Like a chick" in my book.  I also do not see this "cutesy asian theme" that you speak of...  I really am confused by what that even means.  Like hello kitty or something?  I don't see that in this game at all.

Exactly, it's much better than Aion in this regard. Graphics is mightily fine, they have to balance things out (like death penalty, etc.) and polish to oblivion

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

The success of this game will have nothing to do with the asian look (stereotype).  Pretend for 1 second Archage is everything we hope it to be, only a fool would reject it because of the flavour of gfx in certain parts of the game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

The best games i've played had horrific graphics ....

I can play fun ugly games for hours ... i can't play a boring pretty game for more then  a few minutes.