Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls:Skyrim to be Console Game, then ported to PC.

Comments

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Erstok

Omg a new Elder's Scrolls game that will be heavy on player generated content and will live on years after release due to everything people create. WAAA but that doesn't matter, considering most developers don't take the time to even do that, because it will be ported from console.

WHO CARES. If in 10+ years players can generate something like this off Oblivion or even Skyrim. Why should ANYONE really care about if it comes from a console first or not? If players are willing to come together, put aside differences, and breath life into great classic games. What difference does it make. We as gamers have better ideas how to apply updates to game then most developers and if your going to criticize the fact that Bethesda is still going to remain true in some shape or form by releasing a construction kit so people can add and put more content into the game. When most developers wouldn't even consider or do that. You should be taken out back and beatin' with a rod.

CONSOLE PORT.

There's been MANY times when such ports have gone awry over the years, across many games, across different genres.

It shouldn't be left to the mod teams / fans to unf*ck a game.

'Nuff said.

Edit to add:  LOL, 10+ years down the road?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

'It shouldn't be left to the mod teams / fans to unf*ck a game.'

they already did that with oblivion and morrowind.

thank mods we could play really decent games.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

good thing I have a PS3, well other than that only data breach thing... that sucked.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

http://xboxfreedom.com/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-e3-gameplay-footage/

The game looks absolutely amazing and I dont' mean that in an eye candy whore way.......the features, no script dragons, hundreds of hours of gameplay, animations, free roaming wildlife, the ability to cast spells with either hand (using both makes healing more powerful).....make the game amazing.

As for skyrim being developed for the console first then ported to pc, its a sign of the times.  The days of the pc as a gaming machine are coming to a slow end.  You'll see more mmorpgs but more games will be developed for the console first or not ported to pc at all.  I like gaming on my pc however consoles have far far less headaches.

The money is with consoles and developers / publishers know this.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Spiritof55

The game looks absolutely amazing and I dont' mean that in an eye candy whore way.......the features, no script dragons, hundreds of hours of gameplay, animations, free roaming wildlife.....make the game amazing.

As for skyrim being developed for the console first then ported to pc, its a sign of the times.  The days of the pc as a gaming machine are coming to a slow end.  You'll see more mmorpgs but more games will be developed for the console first or not ported to pc at all.  I like gaming on my pc however consoles have far far less headaches.

I was on the boat that thought PC was going to maybe almost disappear at some point. But I'm not so sure anymore, look at The Witcher 2 and BF3. These are mainly developed for PC, of course they will be ported to consoles.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Let's not have the whole "PC-gaming is dead"-discussion in this thread.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

What a terrible let down.  Games that are ported are just plain NEVER as good as games made for PC.  Seeing as how I do not have nor will not have a PS3/Xbox, kinda sucks for me.

But, it makes perfect sense for a devoloper. More money.  Thank god Bestheda is above that, unlike other companies, right? :P.

Blah, hate it hate it hate it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think some people fret a bit too much.

Just play the game for what it is. It's a large beautiful world, 150 dungeons, giant dragons and a far cry from "this":

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think some people fret a bit too much.

Just play the game for what it is. It's a large beautiful world, 150 dungeons, giant dragons and a far cry from "this":

We have a winner!

/thread

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Didn't they pretty much design Morrowind with the Xbox in mind, and Oblivion with 360?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Malickie

Didn't they pretty much design Morrowind with the Xbox in mind, and Oblivion with 360?

exactly, the previous elder scrolls games morrowind and oblivion came out on console and pc ports, wouldnt expect skyrim not to do the same thing.  at least oblivioun ran great on my laptop.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Swanea

What a terrible let down.  Games that are ported are just plain NEVER as good as games made for PC.  Seeing as how I do not have nor will not have a PS3/Xbox, kinda sucks for me.

But, it makes perfect sense for a devoloper. More money.  Thank god Bestheda is above that, unlike other companies, right? :P.

Blah, hate it hate it hate it.

why not own a ps3?  hate blu ray?  hate awesome exclusive ps3 games?  hate playing ports on the console they were made for?  cmonnnnnnnnnnnn, get a ps3 you wont regret it if you actually own a 1080p tv and surround sound setup.

"This is the first time we've created an elder scrolls game that isn't on a new console". He then goes on to talk about how working on an existing console, that they know, allows more freedom in development.

Taken from this video http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/04/25/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-evolved-video?objectid=14267318

I guess that confirms that. At least as far back as Morrowind.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Who cares PC or console as long as game is good? and yes it is going to be good. No game company owe us anything. They are here to make money and yes consoles is where it is.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Bad news :(

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

Well look at the brightside...we still have Blizzard and Valve on our side. And they're the top dogs in the gaming industry.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Alot

Let's not have the whole "PC-gaming is dead"-discussion in this thread.

Heh, I remember people saying the same thing in the turn of the century.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by Zzad

Bad news :(

If you didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion.:) Both were ports to afterall.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

You all know that savvy PC gamers will make mods and make the game 100 times better.

So whats the problem?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Precusor

You all know that savvy PC gamers will make mods and make the game 100 times better.

So whats the problem?

Same here. The graphics I've seen so far is already awesome, so scratch that "console holding the graphics back" concern. Plus, I'd be modding the game eitherway so I don't see any problem.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

The game looks absolutely amazing and I dont' mean that in an eye candy whore way.......the features, no script dragons, hundreds of hours of gameplay, animations, free roaming wildlife, the ability to cast spells with either hand (using both makes healing more powerful).....make the game amazing.

"no scripted dragons" what the hell is that, does it mean that the drake just stands still at one place not doing anything? Even an order to attack, or move, must be executed through a script.

And the more lines of script an AI has, the more intelligent it behaves (if executed properly).

REALITY CHECK

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Thillian

"no scripted dragons" what the hell is that, does it mean that the drake just stands still at one place not doing anything? Even an order to attack, or move, must be executed through a script.

And the more lines of script an AI has, the more intelligent it behaves (if executed properly).

To my understanding he meant "not scripted" in the sense of not being in a cutscene or non-predictability.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Lol I dont get this, some ppl keep insisting that the futher of gaming is whit Consoles, while everyone I know is trowing them out the door.

they are great for introducing gaming to people but I never see PC gamers go console, while I seen plenty console gamers go PC.

the new batch of consoles is hold off in favor for money milking gatgets and developers already have to push the consoles to the absolute technical limmed to keepup whit pc games/power.

skyrim being developed whitin console specs does not mean it be a bad game, rather that they had to build it for consoles first due to technical limmets , if they made it whit only the pc in mind the freaking game would not run on a console and thus it would be lost money as the casual markt is the biggest bank even if its not thier core gamers.

there used to be a time that every gamer had a console. every single one of them, consoles are nothing new or fancy they bin around as long as pc gaming existe since the 80's the gaming market on its own keeps growing as more people get acces to this form of entertainment due to the financial state they live in , in effect creating a seemingly bigger market for console but in reality the % of console gamers is just as stable dropping as it was ten years ago.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

No big deal i will just buy for my Xbox :p

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

Well that is a pity. I probably won't get Skyrim on release then.

They usually release modding tools, so I am sure the community will mod it into a state fit for a PC (like they did for Oblivion) but that will take a few months after release. So I will probably still buy it, but not at release.