Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting

Staffa22Staffa22 Member Posts: 22

Has anyone heard or read anywhere if crafting will be part of the game?  I started in SWG and I am now in WoW.  I really enjoyed the player economy in SWG and making things and running a business.  I think the FE world would lend itself to a lot of oppurtunities for crafting, scavenging, repairing things.

I hope the game is still on track reminds me a bit of Gamma World.  I know they aren't talking much, but their site has next to no new content. 

Comments

• RadzikRadzik Member Posts: 73

I'm pretty sure they mentioned crafting in one of their Q&A's. Something along the lines of trying to remake old technologies. I'm hoping everything from food to guns and even automobiles will be craftable.

• Staffa22Staffa22 Member Posts: 22

Yeah in digging into the site more I found:

Scavenge remnants of the old world for knowledge and profit
    Develop trade skills for wealth and power
    Establish trade routes and caravans across vast and dangerous expanses
    Players can aid in the maintainence and expansion of towns and outposts as well as owning complexes
    Also, I sent an email to their link and actually got a reply in an hour:
    We are big fans of crafting as well, and we too believe Fallen Earth is a great place to have lots of crafting. If the earth falls, we'll need to re-discover and learn to re-do lots of things..
    Just imagine if 9 out of 10 people suddenly died today and you landed on earth hundred years from now..
  • RadzikRadzik Member Posts: 73

Hey thats cool that they replied. Hopefully they'll do the same when the official forums come out.

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

I definately will be crafting once the game gets going. I also liked the crafting and player economy in SWG. I think the best way to do crafting would be to do something between SWG's crafting, and Arcanum's crafting. What I mean is take SWG's different parts needed and combine it with Arcanum's use of actual items (rather than just basic materials in SWG) to create something.

An Example:

Lets say you want to make a new pistol. So you scavenge in the garbage and find some parts and start making your new pistol. You need 4 parts to make the gun: A handle, a barrel, a housing, and the part that holds the ammo. Now, the barrel is just a metal tube the right width to use the rounds you want (you know what caliber the barrel is if you're good enough at crafting). The handle would just need to be a streight piece of something solid, wood perhaps. The housing would need to be something hollow and sturdy, a small metal box.

As for the ammo holding part, you can do different things. You could make it a basic single shot that has to be constantly reloaded. You could make it a revolver, but then you'd need to find or make a revolver part. Or you could even make it a magazine loaded pistol if you find that part somewhere in the junk. This would allow for ease of creation, as well as variability of items. Different parts or the presence/absence of extras (you don't always need a scope on your gun, but you may want one) would make weapons different and personal. Also, it makes the economy dynamic, as different crafters will make stuff different ways, and thus different items will be different prices just because of one different piece.

Also, using different things for different parts would affect the stats of an item (like a gun made of scrap parts will not be able to take as much wear as that made with scavenged gun parts).

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• SenuvenSenuven Member Posts: 51

I love to craft, I love to make something. Here is my point on crafting.... MAN I should be working but hell it is friday and I have been working since 5am...

In Anarchy Online, anyone could craft, but somethings took higher skills, and unless you were an engineer or meta physicist, you would more than likely not make it. Plus it was a waste of your IP (given each time you level, and each skill cost X amount per level you raised it)

Lineage 2 ONLY a warsmith can craft. Period. When you got to higher grade items, you had a chance at failure and loosing ALL materials. VERY Frustrating in a game that has low yeild on supplies for crafting and is hard to make a buck...

so here is my crafting idea.

Some items are craft only, some items be modifieable. Like I mentioned in an additional post, maybe being able to earn the right to make something and name it.

To error is human, to forgive is devine. Neither are US Marine Corps doctrine.

• DelgadoDelgado Member Posts: 173

Completely lost track on what I have said in previously in this thread so forgive me if I have already said it.

Now since this is FPS based. We can deduct that skills are player skills and not level skills. But crafting is where we can easily add leveled skills I think.

Going through the game, killing mobs, participating in missions, quests, jobs etc give you XP. So xp is basically a point of reference on each player and what he actually has done or how far he has gone ect. But one could make it so that as each level you gain, you are given trade skill points or crafting points. There could be various catagories such as:

Weaponsmithing - Development and modifing of weaponry from small arms to heavy weaponry

Armorsnithing - Development of tactical body armor, ie: kevla vests, helms, knee and elbow pads etc..

Tech Developement - Reseact and development of lost technologies

Mechanics - Building and maintaining and maybe even modifying of vehicles.

Tailoring: Production of clothes, boots, hats, and the like.

Carpentry: For building towns?

These are just examples of what one could use gaining levels in. There could be a basic level where everyone can craft but the higher you go in crafting skills, the better quality weapons you can produce. Just an idea to try and retain some qualities of a traditional MMO point and click.

• LockmartLockmart Member Posts: 33

Even though this is an FPS, we can still have combat skills.

Pistols, Rifles, Heavy Weapons, Energy Weapons etc.   Increased skills may result in smaller crosshairs, less on-screen recoil, increased rate of fire (bolt-actions).

Increasing skills should be usage based.  When I kill a creature with a pistol, I should gain pistol XP.

Even if we asuume that we have no combat skills due to the FPS nature of the game, it makes little sense to grant crafting or generic XP due to actions taken in combat.

Crafting skills should be usage based as well.  Raw materials to 'practice' on will be rare enough that grinding shouldnt be much of an issue (BESIDES WHICH GRINDING IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST!!!).

I propose that the best manner in which to advance crafting skills is via Trainers and Books.

1) Trainers - The starting towns local blacksmith needs 200 lbs of steel.  You go and salvage that amount of steel from various wrecks and ruins and return it to him.  He then teaches you some basic smithing skills.

2) While salvaging 200 lbs of steel you find an Electronics book in the trunk of an old car.  Read the book and gain XP in Electronics tinkering.   Hmm... issue: What happens to the book?   In Fallout reading the books removed them from your inventory as they were of no further use, you couldnt even sell them.  Should we continue that concept?  Old books may disentegrate, old electronic data pads may burn out, but 100% loss is unrealistic.

Ok, best book solution is that they are RARE.  You have to be in possession to read it.  You may not gain ANY XP from a book if your knowledge in that category is to hig already.  Book knowledge levels are HIDDEN.  So, you have to trade for a book, but you DO NOT know if you will gain anything from it.  Potential for player made libraries?  Can only read one book per Real day.

Well those are just the thoughts that popped in my head.

• XatrosXatros Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Lockmart

Even though this is an FPS, we can still have combat skills.
    Pistols, Rifles, Heavy Weapons, Energy Weapons etc.   Increased skills may result in smaller crosshairs, less on-screen recoil, increased rate of fire (bolt-actions).
    Increasing skills should be usage based.  When I kill a creature with a pistol, I should gain pistol XP.
    Even if we asuume that we have no combat skills due to the FPS nature of the game, it makes little sense to grant crafting or generic XP due to actions taken in combat.
    Crafting skills should be usage based as well.  Raw materials to 'practice' on will be rare enough that grinding shouldnt be much of an issue (BESIDES WHICH GRINDING IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST!!!).
    I propose that the best manner in which to advance crafting skills is via Trainers and Books.
    1) Trainers - The starting towns local blacksmith needs 200 lbs of steel.  You go and salvage that amount of steel from various wrecks and ruins and return it to him.  He then teaches you some basic smithing skills.
    2) While salvaging 200 lbs of steel you find an Electronics book in the trunk of an old car.  Read the book and gain XP in Electronics tinkering.   Hmm... issue: What happens to the book?   In Fallout reading the books removed them from your inventory as they were of no further use, you couldnt even sell them.  Should we continue that concept?  Old books may disentegrate, old electronic data pads may burn out, but 100% loss is unrealistic.
    Ok, best book solution is that they are RARE.  You have to be in possession to read it.  You may not gain ANY XP from a book if your knowledge in that category is to hig already.  Book knowledge levels are HIDDEN.  So, you have to trade for a book, but you DO NOT know if you will gain anything from it.  Potential for player made libraries?  Can only read one book per Real day.
    Well those are just the thoughts that popped in my head.

First off, good idea with the trainer and book ideas. Though I think lugging back 200lbs of raw steel would be a little difficult, not to mention getting it in the first place in a desert image.

Regarding the books, since they're pretty much a rarity in the post-apocalyptic setting, we can assume that even a knuckleheaded character will do their best not to rip and tear the pages, since its like finding a brick of gold. So it'll still be there when they're finished reading it. However, we *can* set a condition on the book. Not all books are going to be found wrapped in a plastic cover, many are going to be withered and fragile. The condition of the book ought to determine how much xp/skills are gained from it. Maybe someone with a good eye will be able to pick more out of the damaged pages or work out what was missing from imagination...these should be based on traits. On the flip side, those with smaller intellectual skills will gain less. NOTE: There should be a maximum value of xp that can be gained from a book, with a certain level of skill aquiring the maximum xp and not giving any more for higher levels of skill.

What if someone gets up to or beyond the max-xp level of the book and reads it again? I think they ought to be given the rest of the xp. However, gaining xp from a certain book is a one-time event. No person can gain more than the set maximum level for a book, no matter how many times they read it.

Just my two cents worth.

-Xatros Ketosha

• onibot8000onibot8000 Member Posts: 11

Hmm, I like the idea about the condition of books. But I think that maybe for each subject a book might be about, you could have several different titles. And there is a certain max amount of skill you can learn from it. But, in order to gain this skill, you have to let your character spend time reading the book. Now, in order to avoid getting too bored while you wait, you could actually read the text yourself. This would allow you, as a person, to learn from a book. Maybe it'll give you hints about a good spot to find something, or a little trick to save you some time in your endevors. Then, maybe you could have people publish their own books, say, if a player manages to create a printing press. Say you have a really high level in a certain skill, you can create a book, and your actual skill will determine how much skill the player gets from the books. And the text you put into the book will determine how much the player reading it will learn. I think adding actual text would makes books even cooler, and a more valuable asset in the game. And by having many different volumes of books on the same subjects, you can gain much knowledge from reading books, as you would in real life. If books were handled this way, it would not only enrich your character, but you as a player.

• DelgadoDelgado Member Posts: 173

Thats pretty much like Fallout in the sense when you read a book, you gain more xp for said skill. I like that idea alot actually. Maybe the gig with trainers could be done somewhat like a school or something. That way, you combine a sort of tutorial for new players and you get a base skill level to start from. Then from there its just a matter of reading books and actually crafting to gain skill?

Good idea Lockmart.