Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I still try WoW?

RedLifeRedLife Member Posts: 4

So yeah is World of Warcraft still a good game to play nowadays or are other current mmos gaining more attention? Do they prove to have better gameplay, content, and etc? I've heard about Rift but I'm not quite sure about it. If there's anything you guys can highly recommend that's not huge on system requirements, I would appreciate it.

Also as a side question on future releases, is Guild Wars 2 shaping up to be the next 'must-play' online title that WoW was? I don't know too much about it yet.

Comments

• BizzlebuffBizzlebuff Member Posts: 87

WoW is more of a dumbed-down kiddie game now then it ever was.  It's hard to believe that's possible, but it's true.  The graphics are severly outdated, and combat feels sluggish and bland. Overall it's a very generic feeling mmo with a laughable story and embarrassingly bad looking gear. I couldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 14.

Yes, Rift is much better, as are many other p2p and free to play games.

GW2 looks awesome.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Try the free trial and see what you think of it. I personally would not recommend it but it still has the highest subscription rate of any other MMO out there at the moment.

Most MMO's have a free trial and it is worth trying them all before commiting yourself to the one which will be the one that will consume your free time and there are quite a few decent F2P MMO's like LotRO and Champions Online worth checking out.

Good luck :)

• RedLifeRedLife Member Posts: 4

Edited thread post.

• FigureFigure Member Posts: 128

If you haven't at least tried WoW yet, you should.  It's a good way to understand the genre's current obsession.  If you're the type that likes WoW's gameplay style, you won't dislike it as much as many of the posters here.   Fair Disclosure, I quit WoW 6 months ago, not really because the game sucked, but because I was burnt out on raiding and the whole idea of it. 

The game becomes a different game at max level though, keep in mind.

Currently Watching: TSW. << Very Eager for a Beta invite. Have experience with Beta Testing.
    Not personally a big fan of raiding or current pve endgame mmo philosophy. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of burnt out on it.
    Hardcore raider in wow from Launch to.. about 7 months ago.
    Currently Playing: Champions Online.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

You should still try WoW. It's starting to show its age a bit, especially the graphics, but the gameplay is fun, it's really polished and bug free game and there's a lot of content and different things to do. Plus the streaming trial client does not require you to download the whole game before playing, so it's not too much trouble to install and try it out.

Guild Wars 2 is looking really good, but no-one has played GW 2 yet and the release date isn't known. I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye out for GW2, but you shouldn't wait for half a year for any game to come out. Pick one that is already released and have fun now.

Rift is good game, and I think a good competitor to WoW. The Rifts are fun and offer more dynamic gamplay. On the other hand WoW has more content and the content is, in my opinion, often better. I found the gameplay of both WoW and Rift to be very similar.

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

If WoW was f2p then i would say try it out but it is no longer worth the $$ and there are many good p2p to put money/time in instead of WoW .

I started playing Rift but I can't tell u much about cuz I couldn't play alot due to real life issues at moment but my first imperssion is I think it is way better than WoW as p2p game .

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

No reason not to try it out- it really depends what you are looking for in a MMORPG.

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

I say try it yourself,and form your own opinion about WoW. As far as GW2 goes research it yourself, and again form your own opinion. People need to stop asking other people to make up their minds for them. Youtube has alot of great videos about GW2 so go check them out.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Dril

Originally posted by snoop101

Originally posted by Dril

Originally posted by Bizzlebuff

WoW is more of a dumbed-down kiddie game now then it ever was.  It's hard to believe that's possible, but it's true.  The graphics are severly outdated, and combat feels sluggish and bland. Overall it's a very generic feeling mmo with a laughable story and embarrassingly bad looking gear. I couldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 14.

Yes, Rift is much better, as are many other p2p and free to play games.

GW2 looks awesome.

I'm amazed: you managed to cram so much bullshit into that one post. I mean, it just really baffles me how people can have that much crap coming from their fingers.

Anyway: WoW is a fun ride (and, yes, that's what it is. You walk up and mobs die) for levelling, and while it's not particularly interesting if you know all the lore, if you've never played it or are coming back after a while it's pretty fun.

Heroics are still pretty hard if you don't have the gear, and ZG/ZA are harder still. Raids are beung nerfed (as usual) so everyone can play everything, but if you want to raid it's easier than ever.

Honestly? Play it. If it's not your cup of tea, don't sweat it, there's a lot of other themeparks (and there's also EVE) if you don't like it. 

Actually he was right on the money. Agree to everything he says. Granted you seem like your a fanboi. IMO WOW is not a good game to start your MMO experience in, because it will teach you bad habits, show the bad sides off MMO's and because everything is handed to you other games will feel not the same. Go with something a bit harder. I started with DAOC and im glad I did. Granted im old, but hey.

I do agree to try the trial and see for yourself.

And you're just a bitter hater with no life, lulz.

Look mummy, I can use those words too!

In other news: I said WoW was a fun ride (nothing more) and that raiding is being nerfed to the ground. How does that make me a fanboi exactly?

It helps if you can actually read before you start typing.

Actually I was refering to your comment about the other user posting bullshit. He was right on the spot with what he said.

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

WoW isn't the best, but it's still a solid game. It's starting to show it's age, however. The general play of the game is considered below standard nowadays.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

yes, if only so that when you come back to the forums to shit on the game you actually know what you're talking about.

• PingmeisterPingmeister Member Posts: 51

No game can compare to WoW's amazing Quest engine.

One Quest you will be shrunk down to sneak into a town.

In another you will be riding on the shoulders of a giant as he stomps enemies.

Or flying in a bomber launching bombs.

Or guiding mobs to self-destruct in a crowd of enemies.

Say what you will about WoW, the quest system is an amazing accomplishment.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Wait OP, you did not mention, but have you not tried WoW before?  If you have not, there is no reason not to.  It's not going anywhere soon, but it's still one of the most popular games of our generation, and it would be a shame to miss it.  Regardless of what people think about it's current incarnation, it's still a great game for the most part.  Rift as well as EQ2 are somewhat similar, Rift being the newest and I suppose the prettiest of those three.  All have free trials, worth trying no matter what.

GW2 is labeled as the next big thing, at least on this website.  Just spend a few days perusing these forums and you will learn a lot more about it :)

• RedLifeRedLife Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Worstluck

Wait OP, you did not mention, but have you not tried WoW before?  If you have not, there is no reason not to.  It's not going anywhere soon, but it's still one of the most popular games of our generation, and it would be a shame to miss it.  Regardless of what people think about it's current incarnation, it's still a great game for the most part.  Rift as well as EQ2 are somewhat similar, Rift being the newest and I suppose the prettiest of those three.  All have free trials, worth trying no matter what.

GW2 is labeled as the next big thing, at least on this website.  Just spend a few days perusing these forums and you will learn a lot more about it :)

Hmm yes I did forget mentioning that I haven't tried WoW yet. Guess all the lurking I did here made me second guess it. But what your saying sounds very reasonable, maybe I shouldn't miss the chance while it's still going strong. I think I'll definitely give the game a shot then, thank you!

And thanks everyone else for the responses, very much appreciated.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

WoW is a great game, but Blizzard needs to find things for max level people to do besides grind gear.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

For any one who is saying not to try WoW: they have an incredible amount of bias towards it and should not be listened to.

It's really fun when it's fresh and you're doing things for the first time.

How ever, once you reach the level cap, you'll be struggling to find things to do if you're not into raiding and/or hardcore PVP grinding. The only option left is to roll an alt and get them to the level cap, but after the 3rd time it gets really stale, let alone the 8th as I have done.

Try it. If you're having fun. Great!

The moment it stops being fun, don't be afraid to stop subscribing to it as I have. There's no point throwing money at some thing you don't enjoy.