Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free PK Necessary?

I began to play Eudemons Online days ago, so far has no problem, the game is just good. But one thing annoyed me, when I tried to level up in non-city place, I got PKed.

I don't like PK....Could they just close the free PK mode? or this is  a necessary part to attract more gamer >.<

lol NEVER VENTURE OUT ALONE

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

There should never be "Free PK" in any game as there should always be some kind of penalty for killing players outrite. Most successful PvP based games have some kind of system like this in place as without it the game just devolves into a chaotic gankfest. Lineage has the Karma system, EVE has High-Sec and Concord and even Darkfall has a similar system. Mostly where you find the 'free PK' is on a PvP server for a PvE game as they don't have any type of ruleset to deter this type of ganking. I'm not sure if the game that you're playing has a system like this in place but if it doesn't you should just move on to a new game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Brenelael

There should never be "Free PK" in any game as there should always be some kind of penalty for killing players outrite. Most successful PvP based games have some kind of system like this in place as without it the game just devolves into a chaotic gankfest. Lineage has the Karma system, EVE has High-Sec and Concord and even Darkfall has a similar system. Mostly where you find the 'free PK' is on a PvP server for a PvE game as they don't have any type of ruleset to deter this type of ganking. I'm not sure if the game that you're playing has a system like this in place but if it doesn't you should just move on to a new game.

Bren

Darkfall's system is a joke.  To get around it, all you need to do is to kill your friend that has a character from an opposing race 3 or 4 times after killing one of your own race.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Originally posted by Creslin321

Bren

Darkfall's system is a joke.  To get around it, all you need to do is to kill your friend that has a character from an opposing race 3 or 4 times after killing one of your own race.

When you havent played a game, or havent played a game in a long time, you shouldnt comment on its current state.

What you describe is not the case in Darkfall anymore. They now have a more complicated system.

Originally posted by Consequence

Bren

When you havent played a game, or havent played a game in a long time, you shouldnt comment on its current state.

What you describe is not the case in Darkfall anymore. They now have a more complicated system.

How so?  This is from Darkfall's website:

Players of opposing factions will always be considered evil to you no matter what their alignment is. To see if a player is considered good or evil, just target them. If the name appears in blue, they are considered good and you will take an alignment hit for killing them. If the name is in red, then they are considered evil and you will gain alignment by killing them.

If you attack a blue character, you will go rogue for a few minutes. This is noted by a grey name. While tagged as rogue other players can kill you freely no matter what your alignment is.

Hitting players in your party or your clan will not carry any alignment penalties, or turn you rogue. If your clan has declared war on another clan, you won't take an alignment hit for killing these players, nor will you turn rogue.

If you turn evil (red) you will respawn at a chaos stone when you die. There are no guard towers at chaos stones. To become good (blue) again, you have to kill evil (red) players.

Sounds like the old system to me.  Note that to become "good" again you have to kill "evil" players, and opposing races are always "evil" to you.  Therefore, I don't see why you couldn't just kill your friend that is a human if you are an Alfar 10 times and get your alignment back.

• breakqopbreakqop Member Posts: 6

Bren

Players of opposing factions will always be considered evil to you no matter what their alignment is. To see if a player is considered good or evil, just target them. If the name appears in blue, they are considered good and you will take an alignment hit for killing them. If the name is in red, then they are considered evil and you will gain alignment by killing them.

If you attack a blue character, you will go rogue for a few minutes. This is noted by a grey name. While tagged as rogue other players can kill you freely no matter what your alignment is.

Hitting players in your party or your clan will not carry any alignment penalties, or turn you rogue. If your clan has declared war on another clan, you won't take an alignment hit for killing these players, nor will you turn rogue.

If you turn evil (red) you will respawn at a chaos stone when you die. There are no guard towers at chaos stones. To become good (blue) again, you have to kill evil (red) players.

Sounds like the old system to me.  Note that to become "good" again you have to kill "evil" players, and opposing races are always "evil" to you.  Therefore, I don't see why you couldn't just kill your friend that is a human if you are an Alfar 10 times and get your alignment back.

That's how the old system worked. Now, to gain alignment, you must "pray" at a church (which costs gold). You can only pray once a day, so going from -100 alignment (as evil as you can get) to blue takes about a month and 100k+ gold.

Originally posted by breakqop

Bren

That's how the old system worked. Now, to gain alignment, you must "pray" at a church (which costs gold). You can only pray once a day, so going from -100 alignment (as evil as you can get) to blue takes about a month and 100k+ gold.

Ah I see, they must have not updated that part of their website with the new system.  Incidentally, the new system sounds much better and less exploitable.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by breakqopYou can only pray once a day, so going from -100 alignment (as evil as you can get) to blue takes about a month and 100k+ gold.

Ah I see, they must have not updated that part of their website with the new system.  Incidentally, the new system sounds much better and less exploitable.

From previous experience, Darfall's website can be out of date by 6 months or more.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

As much as I hate ganking, I like that added emotion you get out of the game that makes you scared when you go back to the zone, or makes you hate that one ganker.  Calling in friends or guild members to counter gank turns a small gank into a zone battle.

This is what makes games fun.  And although you will probably say that you hate it, or it ruined your day.  You will never forget it when it happened, and you will speak fondly about the game, especially when you inevitably have all out wars over quest areas and guild rivalries spawned out of ganks and griefing.

Trust me, it's worth it.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by UknownAspect

As much as I hate ganking, I like that added emotion you get out of the game that makes you scared when you go back to the zone, or makes you hate that one ganker.  Calling in friends or guild members to counter gank turns a small gank into a zone battle.

This is what makes games fun.  And although you will probably say that you hate it, or it ruined your day.  You will never forget it when it happened, and you will speak fondly about the game, especially when you inevitably have all out wars over quest areas and guild rivalries spawned out of ganks and griefing.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Most good PvP games systems have motivations for the players to police the game world themselves. In Lineage and Darkfall if you go red your a free kill for anyone and could drop some valuable gear. In EVE you can place bounties on people which makes them very lucritive targets not to mention that if your security status gets low enough you're a free kill even if Concord is sitting right there watching... In fact they will probably help kill you.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• While it is not an exactly an MMO, Demon's Souls for the PS3 is popular for its forced PVP and also for its high difficulty. So yes, in Demon's Souls, there is "free PK" and there is no penalty for killing or "ganking" another player. In fact, the game rewards you for successfully killing another player by giving you back your body. Although it is possible to avoid PVP altogether by disconnecting your PS3 from the internet or playing the game in soul form. Needless to say, Demon's Souls is not for casuals, but is popular enough that it's getting a sequel called Dark Souls.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Originally posted by Lilithoo

I began to play Eudemons Online days ago, so far has no problem, the game is just good. But one thing annoyed me, when I tried to level up in non-city place, I got PKed.

I don't like PK....Could they just close the free PK mode? or this is  a necessary part to attract more gamer >.<

Is it necessary no.  There are many games out that do just fine without pks, infact most of the games that don't force pvp down your throat do significantly better then the ones that do.

Neither play style is better or worse then the other, to head off and nerd wars, different strokes for different folks.