Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was trying to download this game... and it fails.

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Yeah, willing to go back to one of these old-school gems. Logging into my Station account and choosing the options to re-install the game. All that happens when I click the EXE file is a black window with some "Star Wars Galaxies" in it; I guess THIS should be the launcher, but nothing happens. I tried this like dozens of times.

Where is the problem here you think? SOE (again lol) or me? Let me add that I use Firefox. I also tried to log into the account by Explorer, but the page then seemed messed up. Not that I was surprised though.

Last time I played it, the game was not "that" bad, but I think the only reason I left it was due to some stupid expansion from WoW.

Help most appreciated!

EDIT; Game is installed. Launcher was "suddenly" appearing.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I recently tried to download Vanguard and had problems. First it kept repeating one file over and over then when I got that fixed it said I didn't have enough memory to update the game. I haven't been able to find any workarounds so I really can't be much help. I did try using the Station launcher and the Vanguard exe but neither worked.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I will try to re-install both Java & Flash as I got an error message while I tried to do Speedtest.net

[Mod Edit]

I wanted to fly in a "real" 3D space environment. I always liked that part... I fear I will not be looking back after this. Too bad really, cause SWG gave me one of the best MMO experiences ever.

Unless there are other links where I can download the client from rather than from Sonys own account pages? Would be a relief...

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I just have the SWG launcher that I downloaded a week ago...not the station launcher. Works fine for me. Granted I started the whole process from the original Disks...but that just ends up going to the same digital download off SWG page of website.. You could try downlaoding the SWG launcher only straight off the SWG site and not from the Sony Station launcher.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/index.vm

I think that is just for SWG launcher only (along the right hand side of the page where it says "Need to reinstall SWG?"). I am at work so it is watchguarded and I can't confirm.

Side note:  I have a Station launcher icon..which i launch and use to access Vanguard (again with no problem). If I hit the SWG button in the station launcher though it starts to download the whole game again...and doesnt seem to recognize that I already have the whole game on my drive. So I also have the SWG icon/launcher separately for playing SWG.

Suddenly the Launcher was installed. Weird. Out of nowhere. And SWG is now installed. Of all MMO's SWG has given me the best starter experiences ever. So now I need to update myself regarding servers, population, pvp & etc. Will do that in another thread.

Cheers.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by chrisel

Suddenly the Launcher was installed. Weird. Out of nowhere. And SWG is now installed. Of all MMO's SWG has given me the best starter experiences ever. So now I need to update myself regarding servers, population, pvp & etc. Will do that in another thread.

Cheers.

easy to remember

yo uhad 32 professions you have now 9

jedi was prestige class, now its not

cantinas where swarming with all sorts of scum from the galaxy, now they are empty

players had good combat animations, now they don't

i did the same thing you did, i gave it a chance... uninstalled a few days later...

So sad... It was so great in beginning. The game is dead now? I tried to ask a few questions in anothe thread where to start etc, but no replies so far. I am willing to give this a chance. But if this reflects what it is ingame, it is probably not worth wasting any time on.

I do hope I am wrong though.... :/

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Starsider, Flurry and Chilastra are the most populated servers these days.

I've been taking advantage of the free 45 days that SOE gave to all account holders, and to be entirely honest I've been having a pretty good time. Decided to roll a fresh character, just hit 90 yesterday on him (the double exp that ran until May 31st was a huge help) and am beginning my Pilot grind now.

My PA is extremely active, with a minimum of 10-20 players on every night. Tons of players from other servers have used the Free Character Transfer Service to come to Flurry. PvP is an everyday thing, and the GCW seems to be going strong. Restuss still seems very active as well.

I didn't have any issues downloading the client, so I won't speculate as to what was causing problems for you.

In the end, different strokes for different folks. I find it entertaining, even if it is a shadow of what it once was, but just because I feel that way doesn't mean your experience will match my own.

Check it out and see what you think, the worst that can happen is you decide its not for you and uninstall.

I am having lots of fun. I am still on the newbie station due to lots of chatting on Facebook after work today. I think I am going to skip some of the Pilot quests; they are tedious and hard. I have done all the others though. So far so good. I am having a great time, and now I am eager to paricipate in the bustling life in the game itself.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Cheers.

cantinas where swarming with all sorts of scum from the galaxy, now they are empty

That is not true at all. Go to Chilastra and you will find tons of folks in the cantina...and just about everywhere else too. I just returned and find the game to be a refreshing change of pace from the easy mode crafting garbage games. The space is still great, and the new dungeons are really good actually.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Cheers.

That is not true at all. Go to Chilastra and you will find tons of folks in the cantina...and just about everywhere else too. I just returned and find the game to be a refreshing change of pace from the easy mode crafting garbage games. The space is still great, and the new dungeons are really good actually.

compared to bria mos espa cantina (edit: Back in 2004-2005)... any chilastra cantina will seem empty (and yes i have been in the game after the change)

and those dungeons... instanced i presume? raid like? 

huh... *COUGH* WoW *COUGH*

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

compared to bria mos espa cantina... any chilastra cantina will seem empty (and yes i have been in the game after the change)

Much of the population that made up Bria has transferred to Flurry and Chilly.

So, judging by your own statement, it seems its been quite some time since you played last. Cantina's on both Flurry and Chilastra, specific ones - not all of them obviously, are just as packed as any Cantina on Bria ever was.

Originally posted by Kost

compared to bria mos espa cantina... any chilastra cantina will seem empty (and yes i have been in the game after the change)

Much of the population that made up Bria has transferred out of the game

So, judging by your own statement, it seems its been quite some time since you played last. Cantina's on both Flurry and Chilastra, specific ones - not all of them obviously, are just as packed as any Cantina on Bria ever was.

there fixed it for ya

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Cheers.

What new dungeons??? You mean those heroics?

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"