Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give Vanguard a chance

124»

Comments

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Ardwulf

Originally posted by itchmon

not that this is incentive for a game company as i'm just one player, but...

...show me one update in the works (meaning it's being tested currently) and blam you'll have my fifteen a month.

There's that vicious circle again. I can understand the sentiment, but as long as numbers continue SOE has little incentive to support the game.

However, I have learned a few things over the last couple of days.

First, Vanguard does have two developers on the books.  SOE may be sharing them with other projects for all I know.  So the no development team thing is what's visible, but at least it's not official.

Two: Since the last posted update in Jan 2010, there have been a number of small bug fix updates, but  they're not logging them.

Three: There is still GM support in-game, customer support through SOE, and reps who still post on the forums.

Four: The links to the Isle of Dawn 14-day trial are broken.  I posted in the tech support forum on this, but SOE probably has other concerns at this time.  I have found a link to the trial installer that works, and I'm working on the problem.

when you have this type of vicious circle, no customers = no updates = no customers it is not up to the costumer to make the first move, thats what marketing companies are for. SOE can do good business and market and promote the hell out of vanguard and then people will come. it does not work the other way around...

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

when you have this type of vicious circle, no customers = no updates = no customers it is not up to the costumer to make the first move, thats what marketing companies are for. it does not work the other way around...

Totally Agree!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by OrleanKnight

I played Vanguard at launch. But many other rats like me bailed out and dropped the game like a bad baby the INSTANT it was accquired by SOE. So many poeple left for that fact alone, and thier crappy "Trust us, we learned our lesson!' campaign was full of crap, because clearly they haven't and never will. SOE must die, and sadly that means Vanguard must die as well. Stop supporting it.

um, no.

I like Vanguard. I don't care that sony has it. when I play it, which is casually, I enjoy it.

Why should I stop doing something that I enjoy becaues someone has it in for Sony? Heck, I can point to most developers, companies, etc that do things that I don't like. And some of them do thing that I really dont' like. Things that I think actually matter. Not this silly "sony does x and y".

As far as I know, sony is not supplying terrorists with guns, depleting the water supply of indegenous populations or supporting hardcore right wing agendas that I feel are a threat to the world. Or hardcore left wing agendas for that matter.

If they start doing that then I'll stop paying for their games.

Otherwise they offer a product, a product I like and one that I would love to see other companies learn from, and I'll play it until they shut the servers off.

Do I think they should do more? yes. But they are not. They essentialy saved the game from oblvion, spruced it up and said "this is it, this is what we are willing to do" and you can pay for it while we offer it.

It's just that simple. As I haven't exhausted the content in the game I have no problem subscribing to the game. That's their price for entry and I think it's worth it.

Or... I can pay for a game that is updated all the time, has a lot of company support, fanfaires, etc but one that I just don't want to play.

I think I'll just keep my Vanguard sub.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I played Vanguard at launch. But many other rats like me bailed out and dropped the game like a bad baby the INSTANT it was accquired by SOE. So many poeple left for that fact alone, and thier crappy "Trust us, we learned our lesson!' campaign was full of crap, because clearly they haven't and never will. SOE must die, and sadly that means Vanguard must die as well. Stop supporting it.

Soooooooooooo

OPEC is screwing you 1,000,000 times more on oil prices, yet you drive your car everyday :) 

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by monstermmo

Fine, youve convinced me to give it yet another chance. =p

I couldnt help but laugh at the graphics being better than 95% of the current mmo's tho.

What has better graphics than Vanguard on the market right now? Age of Conan, and uhhh... maybe Aion? Or maybe that new Final Fantasy MMO? That's about it. With AoC at least, all the graphics are scenery, you can't actually go to those mountains you see in the distance.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Getalife

Originally posted by Garvon3

I have. I loved it. I've given it a million chances. But SoE has not, and without SoE doing anything, the game will continue to sink. Besides, I'm not a fan of all the changes they forced on the game to try to make it appeal to the casual crowd, before giving up entirely. Bind on pickup? Instant teleporting? Glowing quest icons? Dumbing down crafting? No.

SoE has no reason to make this game succeed. As it stands now, with little to no development since about 6 months after launch, its still far and away, the best PvE MMO on the market, and MUCH better than EQ2. SoE can't have that. It's a conflict of interests. Pumping money into VG would just take subs from EQ2 and equal a net loss. So instead, SoE is going to slowly strangle VG and milk subs while it can.

Yeah because the game was such a  run away success with all the old features intact right?

The features weren't what was driving people away, the horrible lag problems and glitches did. In fact, the changes to make Vanguard more casual probably drove more people away than it brought in. Aiming for WoW's market didn't work for LotRO, for AoC, for WAR, for VG, or any other company, perhaps SoE should have realized that.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Back on topic:

@OP, you seem a little overly enthusiastic, but for the most part you are right.

I don't understand how people who have played at launch, or never played VG at all and are just hating, are trying to comment on the state of the game AS OF RIGHT NOW. No need to insult those who are enjoying the game just to take out your frustration at SOE. :)

VG truly had some beautiful graphics, immense explorable world, and an "old school" kind of feel to the game with some very interesting approaches to classes. The character models were robotic looking, in a bad way, the launch was plagued with bugs, and the game was very graphic intensive considering the computer tech at the time.

As much as I did love the game, being the first Paladin to max level at launch and helping pin point a lot of exploits and bugs to the dev's, I cannot justify paying to play through the content once again with no major changes/content updates.

What I am looking forward to is the day VG becomes F2P.

What an awesome day that would be.What an awesome F2P game VG would make, even better than AoC (only my opinion).

If that was to happen I would be ALL OVER THAT and would not look back. I will go as far as to drop down a total of $5 monthly on cash item shop expenses, because I feel that's what I am willling to pay for the game. I am not saying it is JUST worth that, but compared to alternatives out there RIGHT now, I feel $5 is a just monthly price I am willing to pay to spend time in VG.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by Getalife

I have. I loved it. I've given it a million chances. But SoE has not, and without SoE doing anything, the game will continue to sink. Besides, I'm not a fan of all the changes they forced on the game to try to make it appeal to the casual crowd, before giving up entirely. Bind on pickup? Instant teleporting? Glowing quest icons? Dumbing down crafting? No.

SoE has no reason to make this game succeed. As it stands now, with little to no development since about 6 months after launch, its still far and away, the best PvE MMO on the market, and MUCH better than EQ2. SoE can't have that. It's a conflict of interests. Pumping money into VG would just take subs from EQ2 and equal a net loss. So instead, SoE is going to slowly strangle VG and milk subs while it can.

Yeah because the game was such a  run away success with all the old features intact right?

The features weren't what was driving people away, the horrible lag problems and glitches did. In fact, the changes to make Vanguard more casual probably drove more people away than it brought in. Aiming for WoW's market didn't work for LotRO, for AoC, for WAR, for VG, or any other company, perhaps SoE should have realized that.

The changes to games were made long time after game was a horrible mess. That was last effort to get some subs back and by that time most of the bugs were gone. The game was broken and horrible at launch. Tthat is what drove people away not the changes to make it more casual friendly.

If the original game features were such a hit once the bugs were ironed out people would have enjoyed it regardless instead the population kept dropping.

• SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100

Just left Rift to return to Vanguard after a couple of years break.

I dont care if I dont get frequent or any updates for that sake, as long as the game works and got loads of content.

The game is not dead at all. I dont think Sony has any plans of closing it down for several years, and they have mentioned maybe making it f2p in the future.

Give it a chance!

• klokwurkklokwurk Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Skranken

Just left Rift to return to Vanguard after a couple of years break.

I dont care if I dont get frequent or any updates for that sake, as long as the game works and got loads of content.

The game is not dead at all. I dont think Sony has any plans of closing it down for several years, and they have mentioned maybe making it f2p in the future.

Give it a chance!

Yeah, I also left Rift to come back here. I was on the Rift forums and someone had created a topic about what people would like to see added to Rift. I started writing a post which was almost entirely made up of stuff from Vanguard like; complicated crafting, useful crafting, something like diplomacy, more races, a bigger world, housing, etc. At which point I started to wonder why I didn't just play Vanguard then? So, I'm back and going to make the most of it. See the world, build a house, that kind of stuff. Most of the time I like doing my own stuff anyway and if I can't find a group one night I always have diplomacy, crafting, or an alt to work on.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

I think free to play for vanguard would be an awesome idea, seeing as all it is lacking is players mostly.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by ArcheAge

I bet that 90% of you "i wont play another game by SOE" crew will play EQNext when it lands.

I dunno if they will, but I know I lack the luxury of following their example and boycott SOE. Just not enough good games out there.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Sovrath

um, no.

I like Vanguard. I don't care that sony has it. when I play it, which is casually, I enjoy it.

Why should I stop doing something that I enjoy becaues someone has it in for Sony? Heck, I can point to most developers, companies, etc that do things that I don't like. And some of them do thing that I really dont' like. Things that I think actually matter. Not this silly "sony does x and y".

As far as I know, sony is not supplying terrorists with guns, depleting the water supply of indegenous populations or supporting hardcore right wing agendas that I feel are a threat to the world. Or hardcore left wing agendas for that matter.

If they start doing that then I'll stop paying for their games.

Otherwise they offer a product, a product I like and one that I would love to see other companies learn from, and I'll play it until they shut the servers off.

Do I think they should do more? yes. But they are not. They essentialy saved the game from oblvion, spruced it up and said "this is it, this is what we are willing to do" and you can pay for it while we offer it.

It's just that simple. As I haven't exhausted the content in the game I have no problem subscribing to the game. That's their price for entry and I think it's worth it.

Or... I can pay for a game that is updated all the time, has a lot of company support, fanfaires, etc but one that I just don't want to play.

I think I'll just keep my Vanguard sub.

Agreed there are just to many people who equate their hate for sony with the game they are playing. Yes of course if sony suppoted it maybe It would be a better game on the other hand they might make it worse. it has unique and high quality elements to it along with bugs and low pop, but this game is certainly worth a try. Long live "After Hours"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Just bought this for £7 from steam, playing it and yup it pretty good fun.  Nice filler until next year when the big titles start appearing.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I did for over 6 months and SOE didn't show me any return; more importantly, I don't even think they showed their own developers any return.  I feel sorry for those guys.

It really bites, too, because I think the game was fantastic.  I'm really over funding SOE's complete inteptitude, though.

It's probably the most recent game that I've played that got it right with the game doesn't start at the end.  There was a plethora of content from the moment I created my character and all the way up until around level 35 or so where I finally stopped.

edit:  You'd think I would have learned after falling prey to pretty much every blunder SOE has created as far as MMOs go.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I dont care what happened to this game in the past, the fact is I and others have started playing it and are enjoying it for what it is without any 'emotional baggage', and at the moment it is a good alternative until the GW2/Archage comes along if you are tired of the current mainstream stuff. Only issue with the game at the moment is the end-game because of lack of development and low pop.   Considering the fact it will be a long time till I hit end-game, and the pop coulds easily increase if more people took the game up on face value then seems fine to me imo.  PS when i pay my subscription I am paying for the number of hours that I play the game for and access to the content, couldnt care less who gets the money.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D