Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com ranking system is EVIL - here's why!

lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

If you think the STARS system and TITLE system is flawed, say Hay! otherwise say Nay!, and explain why!

I consider myself an adept. I have been subscribed for many years, I visit the website regularly (mostly every day), I post regularly in the forums when I feel like it. I update my profile once in a while, but all that doesn't matter.

Apparently the only time that my status went up to Hardcore member is when I started a trolling thread and everyone replied to it. My status went like BOOM.

Anything else? Doesn't matter.

I'm saying this because, what's the point of having a star system if it's only based on the mass forum trolling?

It should also be based on how often you visit the site,how many news you've read, do you hype some games or not, do you update your profile, etc...

Whatdo you think? Hay or Nay?

Comments

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

cool pic of you and your hot girl  here is mine lol.

other then that mmorpg.com is 50/50 with me it has the stuff i like but alot of times there messed up giveing out false warnings.  the star and tittle system doe not matter to be honest.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

I dunno, as you can see, I haven't been around as long as you, but I've been around a while.  I also don't have a ton of forum posts and I have a fairly high star rating and I've never started a troll thread and/or post.  

Edit:  ok my star rating isn't as high as I though it was (shows how much I pay attention to that.)

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I believe the stars are awarded by the regulalarity of your posts.  You have 169 posts and have been here for 8 years, how regular is that?

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

My star rating is too high, I only come here to troll.

I don't think there should be a rating, joined date, or a post count. Just a name and an avatar.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I agree with the op. Mine should be much lower, cause I almost never troll.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

I like the stars system, its much better than post count ranks. Those tend to get users posting to any topic that comes up just for the +1 instead of making quality post. Though there are users here that do the whole "+1 my post count makes me better than you" thing, It just doesnt seem as rampant here comparing the two systems.

There are more users on this forum that I respect than on any other board I frequent put together. Whether or not that has anything to do with the star system, im not sure.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

It's based on visiting the site every day while logged in, their site even says so.

Points are docked for deleted/most edited posts but they come back aver 30 days.

There are a lot of forum junkies out there that see a pleasant mix of their high score addiction + forum addiction.

All that aside, coming to a site 30 days in a row probably isn't noteworthy. It's very far from it actually.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

It's determined by your posts/day as member ratio. Most boards have them visible, but I can't seem to find them on here.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I agree with OP and always thought that mmorpg.com has the most flawed forum ranking system ever...

I personally enjoy systems where users rating is given to him by other forum members for constructive posts / helping others and such. Idiots with high post count usually end up with minuses that way and helpful people are up high.

Nobody else can rank forum members but other forum members, imo.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I believe the stars are awarded by the regulalarity of your posts.  You have 169 posts and have been here for 8 years, how regular is that?

Venge

That's exactly what it is.

It's how much you post and how much content is in the post. I beleive this is tallied on a monthly basis.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

I don't think there should be a rating, joined date, or a post count. Just a name and an avatar.

this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/6

http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/7/My-rank-went-down-How-is-this-possible.html

As it's only based on the lst 30 days though, there's no difficulty if you want a high rank, but really 5 stars or 1 star doesn't matter. There's not a lot of sniping, which is difficult to do without violating the ToS.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

It's basic gamafication.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2985-Gamification

Basically it turns posting into a game of sorts and because people like high star ratings thus it causes people to frequent the site more then normal and gets them posting in it more often.

It's not a direct effect thing but there is a influence to want a higher star rating, because other people look at high star ratings and think that person is better because otherwise they wouldn't have 5 stars and someone with no stars must either be a troll or new.  It allows for peoples opinions to seem like they matter more as apparently a 5 star person opinion is better or more valid then a no star ones.

At leasts thats the way i see it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Doesn'tReallyMatter-Ay

I don't even look at those ranking shitzel, nothing but 5 glorified gold star.

But you know a troller when you see

Originally posted by eayes

I'm just posting to boost my total :P

:P

EDIT: Just realise I have 5 stars,  I WIN!

this is the endgame now.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

All your rank are belong to me... Hehe, sorry had to say that. But I agree OP there's no real meaning to the ranking outside of how often you post. Edit- and how often you get {mod edited}.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

on mmorpg.com the stars are based mostly (if not solely) on how many times you log in a month consecutively.  ie. if you set this website to be your homepage then you will garner a 5 star in no time as long as you have it set to automatically log you in of course. 

I did just that a few years ago and had a 5 star rank for quite awhile until i changed it back to google's homepage.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Doesn'tReallyMatter-Ay

this is the endgame now.

I have five stars and spotlight poster. image

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by lunatis

If you think the STARS system and TITLE system is flawed, say Hay! otherwise say Nay!, and explain why!

I consider myself an adept. I have been subscribed for many years, I visit the website regularly (mostly every day), I post regularly in the forums when I feel like it. I update my profile once in a while, but all that doesn't matter.

Apparently the only time that my status went up to Hardcore member is when I started a trolling thread and everyone replied to it. My status went like BOOM.

Anything else? Doesn't matter.

I'm saying this because, what's the point of having a star system if it's only based on the mass forum trolling?

It should also be based on how often you visit the site,how many news you've read, do you hype some games or not, do you update your profile, etc...

Whatdo you think? Hay or Nay?

Hm...if it can make you feel better, we don't get any shinies for reaching higher Star numbers. Beside, does it really matter? I don't think members pay much attention to the Star system. I've yet to see someone say "Lol shut up 1-Star". You do hear similar comments regarding the join date of some members (especially if they are very close to the actual date and it's a troll or ignorant posts), but other than that....does it really matter?

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I have no idea how the star system works. I've been 5 stars before, but it's not someting I'm biting my nails trying to get back =P. Especially since I just painted 'em..

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Doesn'tReallyMatter-Ay

this is the endgame now.

I have five stars and spotlight poster. image

But I have an avatar.....you don't! :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

I login almost every day and really that doesn't help my rating.

I think Kudos would be an awesome way to reward users!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

To answer the OP: the star system is not at all based on "mass forum trolling" as posts that are deleted or receiving infractions against your account will negatively impact your star rating. Logging in frequently, posting constructively, etc all help your star rank.

With that said, I've been reading the feedback in this thread and I'll continue to keep an eye on it as we are always looking to improve upon existing reward systems such as the title and star rank system, but we're also looking into new ways to reward users and allow users to reward each other so keep the feedback coming. :)

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Ahh then I know how my status went down so fast :P

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

MMORPG.com to me is what Facebook is to my wife, I think.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Palebane

MMORPG.com to me is what Facebook is to my wife, I think.

I really really want to laugh at the farmville crowd but, considering my mmo history, I...I just haven't figured out how to justify it.

Still workin on it though..

...tee hee famville...