Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about playing

DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Any vets out there care to share how much it costs to play monthly? I read that once you get a mount or two, the monthly sub option is all you need. I wouldn't mind paying the $11 sub fee if that's the case.

Comments

• Spike_SSpike_S Member Posts: 10

It's a pretty impressive game (for a f2p game with cash shop) if you can get past all the kids that play it (and the cell shading, which a few people hate. I didn't). My finacee and I played for quite a bit before a lot of the expansion stuff came along. We both felt it was pretty decent. Get a good guild and you should have a good time. Again...I can't stress enough it's been a LOOOOONG time since we played.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by Spike_S

It's a pretty impressive game (for a f2p game with cash shop) if you can get past all the kids that play it (and the cell shading, which a few people hate. I didn't). My finacee and I played for quite a bit before a lot of the expansion stuff came along. We both felt it was pretty decent. Get a good guild and you should have a good time. Again...I can't stress enough it's been a LOOOOONG time since we played.

Nice to know. The cell shading doesn't bother me a bit (I was a big fan of the art style of LoZ: Windwaker and such). I'll give it a try until I reach 30 and lose the premium service to see how it goes.

• HellmarauderHellmarauder Member Posts: 178

The only things that cost me to play are pets (for storage and mount), and they're permanent so worth every penny.

The rebirth system is the other thing, but there is free rebirth for every character at age 20, so start your character at age 17 and get free rebirth every 3 weeks. 

Be sure to start as a human and you'll get both an elf and a giant character cards.  I never pay for rebirth because I played all three characters and free rebirth every 3 weeks for each.

• HellmarauderHellmarauder Member Posts: 178

One more thing if you're starting new on NA Mabi: DO NOT pick Alexina server.  It's the laggiest server and may be the reason why Mabinogi is getting such a low rating.

It is a great game, but sadly, it's hosted by a failure called Nexon.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

My advice is.. Avoid Iria. Don't start new character there. Iria is probably the only reason why we have guys on this forum saying that Mabinogi is boring / grindish. Yeah.. it has exploration, but it's still a boring area.

Also, do story quests.. Sometimes it might be hard to see what to do next in story quest so you might want to use wiki. If you want to do it without wiki, read everything NPCs say very carefully (+ use your brain).

• TimeViewerTimeViewer Member Posts: 270

The game itself is fun, the company however is one of the worst I've ever encountered, save your money and do not spend a dime on this game, people are being mass banned especially ones who use paypal due to a scam currently being abused by a few players. The game is plagued with hacks and mods and a company who ignores problems until things are flat out insane and then randomly bans various players (note, I haven't been banned but a number of people I know, even ones who do not mod have been banned)

µV

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by TimeViewer

The game itself is fun, the company however is one of the worst I've ever encountered, save your money and do not spend a dime on this game, people are being mass banned especially ones who use paypal due to a scam currently being abused by a few players. The game is plagued with hacks and mods and a company who ignores problems until things are flat out insane and then randomly bans various players (note, I haven't been banned but a number of people I know, even ones who do not mod have been banned)

Been playing for a few months now. Spent around $50 on pets, and playing for free currently with no issues. The company is horribe, I agree, but sadly there's nothing else like this game to fill it's niche.

• TimeViewerTimeViewer Member Posts: 270

Current Issues include:

Housing - Broken (this is where most people sell items from) so far almost 3 months

Friends list - Broken so far almost a month

Ego transfer untranslated quest so far about a month

Massive random lag spikes, not on the users end as some may think since it's consistant and affects everyone on all channels when it hits

Untranslated event items, a lot of past outfits also fall into this, basically everytime they do an update more items become untranslated (small squares where letters should be)

Abuse of mods, there are 2 camps in the mods (hacks) some do just cosmetic mods that affect only their views others do very destructive mods, ruining events, crashing other players, duping, and so on, the problems with mods have been long ignored by Nexon and stay ignored until things get so out of hand they result int he next problem

Mass bans, usually the wrong people or people who let their greed get the better of them (one player ran around dropping 5 million gold checks, people picked them up and because they turned out to be duped those people who picked them up got banned) The biggest problem with this is the people who cause the problems are not banned. Nexon seems to take the stance that by cutting off the tail the head will die.

There has also been a problem with players who use paypal, due to a scam abuse by 2 players and a very stupid agreement wherein Nexon has to pay back everything spent via paypal if the account gets banned (someone is trying to force them to ban so he can force them to refund everything he has spent since 2008) While I feel bad for Nexon because this is a case of fraud ont he part of a player Nexon is now treating anyone who uses paypal as a potential abuser.

Their ticket system is a poor joke at best, any tickets submitted get only an auto responce, very few claim to have gotten any results. I've had a ticket in their system for over 2 months now about a game card I purchased that their system refuses to validate, no company should ever ignore a problem relating to payments especially with these prepaid cards yet they do.

GMs? good luck finding one in the game, they claim to have only 7 people working at Nexon NA and the GMs have to divide their time between all nexon games.

Again, I like the game, it's the company running it I don't like

µV

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by TimeViewer

Abuse of mods, there are 2 camps in the mods (hacks) some do just cosmetic mods that affect only their views others do very destructive mods, ruining events, crashing other players, duping, and so on, the problems with mods have been long ignored by Nexon and stay ignored until things get so out of hand they result int he next problem

There are only a handful of guys using only cosmetic mods. The community conciders things such as map hack (reveals dungeon map) to be "cosmetic", so be prepared to download a lot of mods if you want to stay competitive.

Those destructive mods are the reason why housing was disabled in the first place.