Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game be released in English upon launch?

bws1980bws1980 Member Posts: 18

Title of thread states my question.  Anyone know?

Comments

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

If it releases in english expect it to be 1 year after asian release, aion was about 9 months...

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Pocahinha

If it releases in english expect it to be 1 year after asian release, aion was about 9 months...

i heard devs are talking baout releasing an international version before the english version duno tho

• bws1980bws1980 Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Raxeon

i heard devs are talking baout releasing an international version before the english version duno tho

I hope the international version is in English.  Isn't English the official "international" language?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Pocahinha

What exactly is an international version?

Originally posted by bws1980

I hope the international version is in English.  Isn't English the official "international" language?

yea believe so

i rather play with all races and languages anyways : ) but like i said thats what i heard not sure if its true

yea believe so

i rather play with all races and languages anyways : ) but like i said thats what i heard not sure if its true

dang, that will take TIME....

Originally posted by Kuppa

yea believe so

who knows another team can translate the client its not that hard >.>

yea believe so

i meant in the terms like ffxi

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    I would rather play an intenational version than too see dollars go to "westernizing" the game instead of development. That said you would still need to do voice-overs and fix any sentence structure differences. I would be tickled pink if conversion was already happening but I wouldn't count on it.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Does it need to be translated perfectly? It's your standard gold ! to get quest and gold ? for the reward, translate the shopping lists but beyond that does it really matter. The selling points of this game as far as I've seen are the word itself and the gameplay around that, it doesn't seem as though the story and quests are it's usp in any way.

I'm not cussing the game at all, I'm very hyped, but I'd prefer they saved the expense of translation and put into other mechanics enhancement.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'll change my view on this, I understand there are those who will play the game just for the story and just because I don't doesn't meant everyone is the same. I guess I was hoping this was going to be a decent hybrid with decent enough pve for a change, I wasn't viewing it as a story focused game - rpg absolutely yes but just didn't see it as a story centric one.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

yea believe so

who knows another team can translate the client its not that hard >.>

Trust me, software translations take TIME and a lot of effort. It's not just translating text....and if it's multiple languages it can be a daunting task.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

I don't think a whole lot is going to be done to "westernize" the game.  It seems that it was built with a western audience in mind.  And I'm pretty sure that was even stated by devs.

As kuppa said the effort is going to come down to translating the coding, but as I mentioned, they had a western audience in mind, and are using cryengine, so I'd assume most of the coding was done with an international mindset.

Assuming all this is true, the great deal of work would be properly translating the text, but also getting the voiceover work done.  In watching the videos for this game, there are a lot of voiceovers and I would assume that a AAA title like this is going to make sure it has quest text and voiceover work done on a level that not only is up to par for a western audience, but exemplary work so that people aren't turned off by shoddy translation.

No one likes seeing a game as a port to their format, and considering the devs stated intentions, I'd definitely expect that this game won't be released unless it is very well done.

All that said, Korean expected release is early 2012, this might turn into a Thanksgiving sale in the US (because marketers will want to take advantage of the holiday sales market.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Originally posted by UknownAspect

I don't think a whole lot is going to be done to "westernize" the game.  It seems that it was built with a western audience in mind.  And I'm pretty sure that was even stated by devs.

As kuppa said the effort is going to come down to translating the coding, but as I mentioned, they had a western audience in mind, and are using cryengine, so I'd assume most of the coding was done with an international mindset.

Assuming all this is true, the great deal of work would be properly translating the text, but also getting the voiceover work done.  In watching the videos for this game, there are a lot of voiceovers and I would assume that a AAA title like this is going to make sure it has quest text and voiceover work done on a level that not only is up to par for a western audience, but exemplary work so that people aren't turned off by shoddy translation.

No one likes seeing a game as a port to their format, and considering the devs stated intentions, I'd definitely expect that this game won't be released unless it is very well done.

All that said, Korean expected release is early 2012, this might turn into a Thanksgiving sale in the US (because marketers will want to take advantage of the holiday sales market.

This.....and I don't think they've found a western publisher yet. (or atleast hasn't mentioned it)

AAA Publishers in the West have steered clear of developing a game in the "Virtual World / Sandbox" space like the plauge because the economics don't add up.  It's interesting to see how they would handle a conversion...if it meant them spending a fraction of the cost it would have taken to develop the game from scratch.

If things go well, I also expect a Q4 2012 / Q1 2013 release in the Western Market.  Too bad its going to take this long.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

If things go well, I also expect a Q4 2012 / Q1 2013 release in the Western Market.  Too bad its going to take this long.

I can wait this long, from what I've read so far Archeage will not run at all well on a 4 year old PC, by late next year hopefully I'll have a completely updated rig.

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

I sure hope AA makes it to the West. However it is very likely that the western release will be deferred a couple of patches compared to the Asian version, similarly to Aion and Tera. This is good because we get a more polished product, but bad because we have to wait... however there are some other very good games we can enjoy while waiting.

Another thing I truly wish they don't do is "westernize" it in the sense of removing challenge, putting in new music or otherwise altering the game too much. The amount of flak Aion received for its leveling curve was misinterpreted by many people. The journey of the leveling felt way more epic in Aion than the 1/2w quest grinds to max level we find in WoW, Rift and other western games (we will get it in gw2 and tor as well). The problem with Aion was not the pace of leveling, but the lack of content and the need to do repetitive things to an extreme. There was simply not quite enough content put into the game to support that kind of slower paced leveling.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well if it's going to take that long for the game to come out then I might as well just learn Korean and get the game when it's released over there. The thing is we are all just blindly speculating though, nobody has given a release date for Korea and they haven't even confirmed a north american publishing company. There going to have to have that before we can ever really start talking about release dates.

I also want to say I hope they don't over "westernize" the game. The fact is ffxi and L2 are my two fav MMOs of all time and my biggest beef with Aion was the "westernization" or as I like to call it "easy mode". I like to play my console games on standard or hard mode and I want my MMOs the same.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

If it comes more than 6 months after initial release that will be the only thing keeping me from playing this game.

In all cases in my experience when this happens, US servers get a big guild of players from the original location launch(es) who bought North American accounts to use their previous knowledge of mechanics, locations, strats, etc. to basically own their chosen servers. Aion was the big one. On Israphel we had a Korean guild that had all the first level 50s, essentially laid claim to the Abyss mobs, the elite farm mobs, and all of the world bosses at all hours of the day. It wasn't until months after they were bored that anyone could kill anything without them KSing it from them.

I will not be a second class gamer simply because someone else had a year's worth of experience in the game due to language/location. This applies to all patches/updates as well.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by ichimarunico

If it comes more than 6 months after initial release that will be the only thing keeping me from playing this game.

In all cases in my experience when this happens, US servers get a big guild of players from the original location launch(es) who bought North American accounts to use their previous knowledge of mechanics, locations, strats, etc. to basically own their chosen servers. Aion was the big one. On Israphel we had a Korean guild that had all the first level 50s, essentially laid claim to the Abyss mobs, the elite farm mobs, and all of the world bosses at all hours of the day. It wasn't until months after they were bored that anyone could kill anything without them KSing it from them.

I will not be a second class gamer simply because someone else had a year's worth of experience in the game due to language/location. This applies to all patches/updates as well.

One of the attributes of this game that is so attractive to many is that is does not focus or care about 'server firsts' - indeed does it have any meaning at all in a sandbox.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• knallpulverknallpulver Member UncommonPosts: 41

The devs have said that the game is made for western gamers too, and I don't think it will take that long for them to release it to the west....... If the korean version releases late this year, it will probably release early 2012 in the west.......

I'm not sure, but I'm 99% it wont be as long as other games..... 4 month would be the maximum........ Usually all the code most be "translated" into the western code, and that takes long time..... But AA uses Cryengine 3 witch already uses the western code..... So that's done already......

The biggest reason to other games coming out so long after the korean release, is often because they don't really care about the west and don't take much time to translate.... But Jake Song (creator of AA, and Lineage) have said many times, that this game is done as much for the West as for Korea......

• KroganKrogan Member UncommonPosts: 304

I remember reading that Archage is a game that has primarily been designed for the western market so it would make sense to actually release it here as quickly as possible :)

Originally posted by knallpulver

The devs have said that the game is made for western gamers too, and I don't think it will take that long for them to release it to the west....... If the korean version releases late this year, it will probably release early 2012 in the west.......

I'm not sure, but I'm 99% it wont be as long as other games..... 4 month would be the maximum........ Usually all the code most be "translated" into the western code, and that takes long time..... But AA uses Cryengine 3 witch already uses the western code..... So that's done already......

The biggest reason to other games coming out so long after the korean release, is often because they don't really care about the west and don't take much time to translate.... But Jake Song (creator of AA, and Lineage) have said many times, that this game is done as much for the West as for Korea......

I don't understand what you guys keep talking about "translating" code to western(english) code....code doesn't get translated, its always the same. You have to localize the text and the UI(among other things). If they want to do a good job and translate for many languages at once it can take more than 4 months, especially with the amount of content an MMO has.

BTW what he means by saying the game is for the West and East is the gameplay style itself and the art style in general, although I remember hearing that about Aion also at the beggining :(