Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent Game, Trashy company and players!

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I have to say.. I gave up on this game at launch.. tried again a few months later with Moria... nada..

About a month or 2 ago, I came back with F2P.  I play on Windfola.  No issues.  I ask questions on /advice and have had no problems.  Mod's have been considerate when I needed help.  I will say that asshats are immediately ignored.  People with the name FUImCool saying "You mad bro" or "cool story bro".  No thanks.  These people get insta-ignored.

So end of the story, I'll stay on my F2P game and you can find a different one if you don't care for it.  I sense we've recieved only part of the story anyways.

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

I play on Landroval.

One thing about that server, it's tolerence for anything "Barrens" in nature is very low. I would bet the OP was either trololololling or generally being a pain in the ass. Both will get you put out in the cold rather quickly.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I play on Landroval and have had no issues with the community. . Mature. . respectful etc.  I have never need /ignored or /reported unless someone was being an asolute idiot.  Generally you are just ignored or people add you to ignore without telling you. 

Maybe you didn't get an answer because most of the server already had you on ignore.  That is just a guess since I have no idea what you said or asked of course.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• VaygusVaygus Member Posts: 131

Community issues aside (because I haven't played a Turbine game in years) I can definitely agree with the assessment that Turbine's ban-hammer can be a bit out of control sometimes. While most players leave MMORPGs due to the support, lack of innovative game updates, or whatever the typical reasons are, I have my own.

When Asheron's Call 2 was on the decline I chose to stay around on Darktide for a while. Towards the end, there was maybe 25-30 people maximum on the server in peak hours, and my brother and I played together while I was out of town for a year on business. My brother and I didn't play with anyone else on the server, strictly us, and we were in a party, just us, one night. I had some crazy stuff happen at work, and I got home, and was telling him about the situation in /tells and /party chat.

I explained to him how someone had came to work extremely intoxicated, caused a lot of ruckus, and whathave you. Needless to say, 30 minutes later I received an ingame notice and a nice little email stating that I had been banned from the game with a two week (14 day) ban for the personal discussion I had in /tells between my brother and I due to the fact that illegal substances were mentioned, which was just my assessment that the individual at work was intoxicated/heavily under the influence of something.

After many emails back and forth it was established we were not reported and the GMs had took the liberty to read both the party and /tell chat. Due to the lack of player activity on the server, there wasn't many people to focus on in my eyes. I'm not one to think anything off the wall, or try to come up with silly conspiracies, but when a family member and I have a rather personal discussion in /tells, not in public chat, and then to receive a 14 day ban? Asheron's Call 1 & 2 subscription cancelled and I absolutely refuse to play another Turbine game; I don't care if they were the company behind Guild Wars 2, I still wouldn't touch it.

Granted, some people might disagree and claim that since it was on Turbine servers, it's justified. I, however, do not feel the same, and despise this company. Whether or not I pay then $15 a month to play their game, I do feel it was a violation of privacy, minor or not, and completely uncalled for.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Just like many other niches and knit circles, being an "outsider" just doesn't work anymore.. It is automatically assumed in most cases in MMORPG's these days that YOU are the asshole and will only cause grief or hinder gameplay..

Oh and sensitivity is at an all time high.. People get offended when people ask for help.. People get offended when people advertise a guild or boast an item over chat.. People get offended when you give advice to someone that they don't really agree with.. People get offended if your name is a cornerstone of dark humor.. Hell some people just get offended just having to share a chat space with you..

The best bet, and what I try to do in every MMO I play, get the overly sensitive elitist jerks to /ignore or block you as soon as possible.. Or just get them identified and you can /ignore and block them, it's not really hard to get them to reveal themselves just do things like ask for quest help etc.. If no one answers, repeat yourself. If the server stays silent long enough and you repeat yourself chances are the anger will start to fly around and the chat will begin booming with flames..

No they couldn't help you, but they will surely work that keyboard trying to bash you into the ground..

And as the insults fly in, block em as they pop-up all at once..

Usually by this time you will have the helpfuls emerge and simply answer your question.. Thank them and continue on..

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Soooo... let me get this straight, what you are proposing is a strategy based on being deliberately annoying in order to identify the people who get annoyed in order to get annoyed at them and ignore them? Sir, that is one of the finest pieces of hermetically sealed, circular logic I have ever heard, I take my hat off to you ;-)

• MMOGamer6MMOGamer6 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Thanatos465

This community is among the worse in the MMO world. Damn I've play them all including WoW and this one tops the cake for community.

Started in landroval......and wow I have never met such a unhelpful and elitist community.

There is no culture in the community at all. Yeah saying the word bacon and make the same jokes a million time over is the lamest thing I've ever heard of in all my MMO days, atleast some worse (gamewise) mmo's have decent communities.

You hear /ignored and /report alot in game for little or no reason and guess what, "Turbine" really bans for no or little reason.

The Free to Play status speaks for itself.

The game itself is decent, the players are elitists low lifes, Turbine seems like a terrible company(Well they werent bad back in AC alil nazish but.) Hell I saw them ban like 2 VIP's when f2p players were dual boxxing and trolling glff.

Overall I think I will take my money elsewhere. I even saw they were banning paying members over free members so yeah.

I will not be surprised when WB shuts down LOTRO, see its employees in action makes me happy when I see them out off a job.

Also remember they ban paying members more then F2P and the ban for everything so think before you buy.

Cenorship is heavy on the fourms that should speak for itself of  Turbines quality.

I 100% agree with you

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by MMOGamer6

This community is among the worse in the MMO world. Damn I've play them all including WoW and this one tops the cake for community.

Started in landroval......and wow I have never met such a unhelpful and elitist community.

There is no culture in the community at all. Yeah saying the word bacon and make the same jokes a million time over is the lamest thing I've ever heard of in all my MMO days, atleast some worse (gamewise) mmo's have decent communities.

You hear /ignored and /report alot in game for little or no reason and guess what, "Turbine" really bans for no or little reason.

The game itself is decent, the players are elitists low lifes, Turbine seems like a terrible company(Well they werent bad back in AC alil nazish but.) Hell I saw them ban like 2 VIP's when f2p players were dual boxxing and trolling glff.

Overall I think I will take my money elsewhere. I even saw they were banning paying members over free members so yeah.

I will not be surprised when WB shuts down LOTRO, see its employees in action makes me happy when I see them out off a job.

Also remember they ban paying members more then F2P and the ban for everything so think before you buy.

Cenorship is heavy on the fourms that should speak for itself of  Turbines quality.

I 100% agree with you

Landroval huh?  I know exactly what happened.  You signed on with some ridiculous name, then proceeded to talk about other games and all in all destroying the immersiveness of the precious RP server.  yeah, you deserve whatever happened. try a different server maybe.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

I 100% agree with you

Landroval huh?  I know exactly what happened.  You signed on with some ridiculous name, then proceeded to talk about other games and all in all destroying the immersiveness of the precious RP server.  yeah, you deserve whatever happened. try a different server maybe.

not sure what in the world you are talking about

and no to what you said

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Pity. I stopped playing before the move to f2p. The community back then was one of the best things about LOTRO...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Originally posted by kakasaki

Pity. I stopped playing before the move to f2p. The community back then was one of the best things about LOTRO...

its gone south since they added addons like dps meters and microtransactions (the store) that seperates the community in to 2 the people with money and those with out it those for addons those against it

Sorry, just as a slight aside from the OPs topic, I've been playing the sub for two years (at least one year of which was before the f2p thing). I cancelled my sub recently to cut back on gamey spending. Logged in under my, now, free to play account recently with a level 37 guardian, ran around a bit in the North downs and suddenly most of the quests have to be paid for in the cash shop! Now I've lots of higher level chars that have been through these areas when I was paying for the game so do I not get access to that content now? Surely I've bloody well paid enough for them at this stage!? Grrrrr

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Sorry, just as a slight aside from the OPs topic, I've been playing the sub for two years (at least one year of which was before the f2p thing). I cancelled my sub recently to cut back on gamey spending. Logged in under free to play recently with a level 37 guardian, ran around a bit in the North downs and suddenly most of the quests have to be paid for in the cash shop! Now I've lots of higher level chars that have been through these areas when I was paying for the game so do I not get access to that content now? Surely I've bloody well paid enough for them at this stage!? Grrrrr

yup players could have bought SOA content up to like 4 times but with F2P turbine takes the content away from you

SOA

SOA CE

MOM complete

SOM complete

Hmm...that's a bit miserly of them, especially since I bought the original game and all the expansions. I suppose I shouldn't complain though, since a year ago I didn't know it was going to be f2p and so I wouldn't have been able to log in at all without paying. However, since complaining is the general theme of this thread I'll do it anyway, Booooo!! 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

All games that go F2P or "freemium" do get worse communities, it seems like there are some jackasses that moves from F2P to F2P game and constantly annoys people.

It of course isn't so bad as OP say and as always are some servers worse than others but did anyone really expect something else?

As for Turbine (and SOE for that matter) do I think they went a bit too far with the "freemium" thing, it worked better in DDO, at least for me. Selling instances I can live with but entire questhubs is just too much. Turbine is far from the worst MMO company but they ain't the best either.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Soooo... let me get this straight, what you are proposing is a strategy based on being deliberately annoying in order to identify the people who get annoyed in order to get annoyed at them and ignore them? Sir, that is one of the finest pieces of hermetically sealed, circular logic I have ever heard, I take my hat off to you ;-)

If asking a question that goes unanswered repeatedly annoys you, then yes sir, you are my target..

But as I said, sensitivity..

Circular logic.. Hmm.. Acts of war to defeat acts of war.. Can we agree that this tactic has shown some success in our days? ;-)

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

its gone south since they added addons like dps meters and microtransactions (the store) that seperates the community in to 2 the people with money and those with out it those for addons those against it

FYI, DPS meters always existed as add-ons.

About OP: the fact that is he uses the term Nazi/nazish for a forum moderation in fact completely discredits his point and highlights the fact that he probably acted as a total turd in there and was reported right away and banned.

This being said, it would helpful if GLFF was integrated by default in the client, so that even new players could use a global channel

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

LOL

When I read the OP title "Decent Game, Trashy company and players!" I immidiately looked up to check and see if I had accidentally clicked the WoW forum instead. I was that puzzled. Needless to say, this goes completely against my experiences with LotRO image

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Sorry, just as a slight aside from the OPs topic, I've been playing the sub for two years (at least one year of which was before the f2p thing). I cancelled my sub recently to cut back on gamey spending. Logged in under free to play recently with a level 37 guardian, ran around a bit in the North downs and suddenly most of the quests have to be paid for in the cash shop! Now I've lots of higher level chars that have been through these areas when I was paying for the game so do I not get access to that content now? Surely I've bloody well paid enough for them at this stage!? Grrrrr

yup players could have bought SOA content up to like 4 times but with F2P turbine takes the content away from you

SOA

SOA CE

MOM complete

SOM complete

How is giving you content for free taking away content, please explain?

And there is no dps-meter add ons in Lotro. Theres always been dps parsers though but that is something different and does not effect the game in any way.

I would say the community have barely been affected by f2p just that there is alot more people which means more jerks aswell. Still better than most P2P mmos.

Most people complaining here are the kind of people who you dont want in your community anyway.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I first played Lotro a few months after release and always found it had a less communicative community than usual. To the extent that from the chat channels I got the impression the server was dead. Which I found wasn't the case. They just don't say much and never seem particularly helpful.

Originally posted by Papadam

SOA

SOA CE

MOM complete

SOM complete

How is giving you content for free taking away content, please explain?

No Problem, I'll explain it again. I've given the game a lot of my money (and time/loyalty etc although these dont strictly have a value in the real world) for content/quests I've already bought by paying £10/$15 per month for three years and doing these quests a half dozen times on other characters. Premium (the version you get when you stop paying as VIP) basically gives you no quests but the storyline ones. Now, this isn't the end of the world since the non storyline quests are pretty rubbishy 'kill ten of them and talk to your uncle philbert' type affairs and I have NO problem with them making me pay for new content I have not reached on any of my characters. To use a food analogy it's like going into McDonalds, having a happy meal and when you're finished the guy comes out from behind the counter and gives you a heimlick so that you'll cough it back up and buy a new happy meal.  

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

All I can say is this game has been in decline for a long time  I will point at the first xpac that chased off at least 50% of the player base by changing what was a casual game into a gear grind fest.

They lost so many folks the only way to save it was go free to play.  The ft2 models encourage those who don't have premium to go that route to get all the goodies unlocked. couple that with the iwin button that has become the turbine points cash shop.

I had a lifetime sub to this game.  I logged in yesterday for the first time no months,  I say i had something like 12k turbine points built up, as I have not used them in the store, nor do I intend to.  

The very first thing I noticed on the login screen was pre order isengard.  We we had all been told that we could use the free tp to purchase this.  However It is not in the store,  so in other words  your going to have to spend money if you want to order this, or wait 6 months for it to be put in the store.   This will be the first xpac ever for any mmo game that I have ever played that I will not be buying.

Having lost all faith that turbine will do right by this game.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by erictlewis

All I can say is this game has been in decline for a long time  I will point at the first xpac that chased off at least 50% of the player base by changing what was a casual game into a gear grind fest.

They lost so many folks the only way to save it was go free to play.  The ft2 models encourage those who don't have premium to go that route to get all the goodies unlocked. couple that with the iwin button that has become the turbine points cash shop.

I had a lifetime sub to this game.  I logged in yesterday for the first time no months,  I say i had something like 12k turbine points built up, as I have not used them in the store, nor do I intend to.  

The very first thing I noticed on the login screen was pre order isengard.  We we had all been told that we could use the free tp to purchase this.  However It is not in the store,  so in other words  your going to have to spend money if you want to order this, or wait 6 months for it to be put in the store.   This will be the first xpac ever for any mmo game that I have ever played that I will not be buying.

Wrong. population was very healthy and stable if not rising. Turbine used F2P model only because it turned out to be huge success with DDO. Their decision of turning LOTR in F2P has nothing to do with dwindling player base.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

We we had all been told that we could use the free tp to purchase this.  However It is not in the store,  so in other words  your going to have to spend money if you want to order this, or wait 6 months for it to be put in the store.   This will be the first xpac ever for any mmo game that I have ever played that I will not be buying.

It will be put in store on the day it gets released. They purposely didn't add the preorder into the store to prevent misunderstands and about a bazillion tickets asking where this isengard they just bought is.

So worry not, you can use your stored TP to buy the expansion which will be completely free for you. Don't really see the issue.

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

I say i had something like 12k turbine points built up, as I have not used them in the store, nor do I intend to.  

Can I have your Turbine Points?