Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate down for couple of hours.

GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I wonder what they where thinking? For months they prepared for this launch and when its CBT weekend they open 1 server for europe  and US lol and have to change hardware becouse everybody gets errors or can't login lol.

Sinds UO most must have had expereince with this or could learn from countless launches games mmo's had over the past 14years so why i have the feeling they constantly need to re-invent the weel again?

All tho its free and they give us opportunity to play hellgate again so far this CBT is a disaster i get some DEJAVU here lol.

Comments

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

It's closed beta, this is exactly why they're doing this.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Isn't the point of a Beta Test is to test the game out for errors and bugs before the game gets a full release? Don't understand how people try to play a beta as if it was a full release version.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by VaultFairy

Isn't the point of a Beta Test is to test the game out for errors and bugs before the game gets a full release? Don't understand how people try to play a beta as if it was a full release version.

QFT. People don't understand what betas really are.

• ClattucClattuc Member UncommonPosts: 163

Originally posted by Neiko

And many people who say this kind of thing don't understand what alphas really are.

In a closed beta you bring up the basically working game for a server's worth of players who log in, play, and help you shake bugs out and give feedback on gameplay.  Closed betas give results like "this instance is bugged" or "crafting is too slow" or "level 20 gives the wrong skill" etc etc.

If you cannot bring up the servers at all, or keep them from crashing in 15 minutes - if 80% of your CBT invitees can't even get past authentication - if getting to level 10 to find those level 10 bugs is completely out of the question, and your community manager is tweeting one multi-hour apology after another all day and night - then you were not ready for a beta, closed or otherwise.

If the game barely loads and barely stays up, you are alpha testing, no matter what name you give it on the website.

Anyway, I hope they get things ironed out, because I miss my Blademaster!  If they don't get ironed out, I won't be shocked if Hanbitsoft pulls the plug.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Clattuc

And many people who say this kind of thing don't understand what alphas really are.

In a closed beta you bring up the basically working game for a server's worth of players who log in, play, and help you shake bugs out and give feedback on gameplay.  Closed betas give results like "this instance is bugged" or "crafting is too slow" or "level 20 gives the wrong skill" etc etc.

If you cannot bring up the servers at all, or keep them from crashing in 15 minutes - if 80% of your CBT invitees can't even get past authentication - if getting to level 10 to find those level 10 bugs is completely out of the question, and your community manager is tweeting one multi-hour apology after another all day and night - then you were not ready for a beta, closed or otherwise.

If the game barely loads and barely stays up, you are alpha testing, no matter what name you give it on the website.

Anyway, I hope they get things ironed out, because I miss my Blademaster!  If they don't get ironed out, I won't be shocked if Hanbitsoft pulls the plug.

cry me a river -_- they probly have the game config wrong hence its crashing

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Originally posted by Clattuc

So true ;)

Late closed betas/early open betas, yes, but often there are many stages of closed betas which are far more basic.

This is precisely what many betas start out as. Just because you think open beta = beta, you seem to be oblivious to how many closed betas operate.

Wrong again, some alphas are little more than testing the most basic game mechanics such as moving, sometimes not even in the game world but as part of a construct. One part of beta testing involves testing the game on multiple gaming configurations, often problems cannot be found until a certain driver or gaming system/platform has encountered it.

Many betas wipe characters daily, oh, wait, your used to open betas which are often essentially free-play. Ok then, enjoy your BM...

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

I tried to connect at 3 different time today  but still impossible. I hope they will fix it soon ^^

The enhanced editor kind of imploded on the nested quotes, so I'll just bottom post to save time...

Just because you think open beta = beta, you seem to be oblivious to how many closed betas operate.

I am always impressed by random people's mysterious knowledge of what I think. :)  Beta testing - open or closed - presupposes a working game with issues to be ironed out.  It is true that some very long closed betas begin with a wobbly game and end with a strong one, but a 3 day closed beta should load on the first day.  They are not ready.  I hope they soon will be because I loves me some Hellgate!

Many betas wipe characters daily, oh, wait, your used to open betas which are often essentially free-play. Ok then, enjoy your BM...

Of course I was referring to my Blademaster from the much-missed original game!  Wipes in this CBT are rather an academic issue since you would first need to be able to create and play a character to be wiped.

• Stress test closed beta. This is exactly why they have the beta. They are getting a lot of great information out of it.

beta does not mean game is good to go no issues lets just preview the game. Betas are used by companies to see what they couldn't see from internal testing. Well guess what they are now seeing their servers can't handle anyone logging on or allowing people to stay online.

If they fix that issue it sounds like a rather successful beta even if they don't get on to other stuff. Fixing game breaking stuff in the beta is far better than waiting on its release.

Just as a followup - it's up, it looks good, and I imagine they're getting some good data now.  Can't wait for this to be back in release in the US.

• rik666rik666 Member Posts: 69

ur pretty lucky im in a bug i can't do anything anymore, its because of the security system. i did the pass 5 times wrong.

and i didnt put it away when it popped up first.

Can you log in again and disable the security at the character select screen?
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

In my experaince ace, if it is a "Beta" test you are generaly able to connect to the server. Just throwing that out there, do with it what you will.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by spookydom

In my experaince ace, if it is a "Beta" test you are generaly able to connect to the server. Just throwing that out there, do with it what you will.

Thats because MOST of betas out there are for pure PR reasons only, to attract the players with sense of "elite"(hey i got into beta!).

Normal early closed betas are basically alphas, but with bigger tester count, stress tests and game world actually being somewhat coherent instead of being in parts.

Sometimes first closed betas have make-shift launchers, log-in screens and UI's put in the last second for testing of game features. Sometimes first cbt only tests launcher features and server stability, etc etc etc.

This beta test pretty much let them gather information on the server capacity needed, as well as an amount of servers that would be needed to be launched in next betas and release. It also helped them to find certain bugs that can't be replicated without 464546546 people like you trying to hammer themselves into the game servers.

So, IMO, this beta was a success. If you wanted to play the game(although you could since second half of beta was pretty stable), then you should re-learn the definition of beta versions :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Strange, after having made an account I don't get the verification e-mail.

Eleanor Rigby.

• javh2008javh2008 Member Posts: 3

They have some problems with some emails accounts and never send the verifications.  In the forums page forums.t3fun.com/hellgate they have some information to reply them with your account info.  I have a problems that all my emails accounts were invalid and unavailable to add for sign up and have to make a new gmail account to receive the verification email.