Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A normal, humble, unassuming 3-part review of AA's CBT3.

MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

Thought you guys might be interested in this.

We don't claim it's the most "detailed" review in the world, but it is kinda long, so AA-O split it up into three parts.

Enjoy it, please. Thanks. :)

Part 1: http://archeage-online.com/post/1718108962

Part 2: http://archeage-online.com/post/1718109019

Part 3: http://archeage-online.com/post/1718109077

Comments

• heheyhehey Member Posts: 77

Best review so far dude.

"I will Turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Nice review.  Some things stood out to me, I'll post them here as I read about them.

"Another interesting facet of ArcheAge’s quests is the idea of underachieving and overachieving the goals given to you. Some quests can be turned in even if you don’t finish them completely, even if you only kill or gather half of what the quest giver wanted. In that case your reward will be less than the regular reward. The same quests can also be overachieved, by killing or gathering or doing more than necessary, then turning in the quest. In that situation your reward is more than normal."

This to me is one of those ideas that seems so obvious it makes one wonder why no one has implemented this in a game until now.  Very nice feature, for those of us who like quests and maybe feel guilty or unhappy when we abandon some of them or when we kill 50+ mobs getting back to the quest giver lol.

"Gear in ArcheAge isn’t easy to get unless you buy it from stores or get it from quests, and gear from those sources normally isn’t that great. The best gear is crafted and upgraded with enchantment stones, and good gear (green, blue, etc.) is also rarely dropped by mobs. If you get lucky, mobs will also drop the stones that you need to upgrade your existing gear."

So this makes the crafting game a very large portion of the game and the economy.  Good stuff.  Major bosses drop rare crafting mats too.

• heheyhehey Member Posts: 77

Oh yeah,and dude?, your link to part 2 of the review actually links to part 3, fix that.

"I will Turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

"As for the question of why someone would bother to kill bosses at all if crafted gear is better than dropped gear: bosses drop mats to craft the best gear"

That's the way is supposed to be.

Fighters sell materials to crafters, and crafters sell equipment to fighters.

Perfect economy system.

I like everything about this game.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

With every video and review I've watched or read, I get more and more excited about this game. I've got to keep my expectations low though. I've had high expectations for other games that eventually came out and turned out to be crap *cough* Fallen Earth *cough* Earthrise.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

Originally posted by hehey

Oh yeah,and dude?, your link to part 2 of the review actually links to part 3, fix that.

Oh shit, you're right! Good catch, sorry for confusing people!

Fixed it.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

great review, looking forward to your next installment

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

awesome review.

It's been a real long time since i actually wanted to play a game mmorpg again, this game just did it.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Nevulus

awesome review.

It's been a real long time since i actually wanted to play a game mmorpg again, this game just did it.

Same here. I played Rift because I figured if I'm going to have to deal with these themepark heavy games I might as well choose one whose developers take quality seriously. Rift is a darn good themepark game.

That said, my passion for this genre lies in the gameplay offered by games like UO and SWG(Pre-NGE) and now ArchAge. They actually have outlined what I'd called an "inspired" crafting system as opposed to ALL of the AAA recent offerings of a "we have it in because that's what players expect in an MMO".

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

BTW is there any death penalty? I seriously hope that it will be losing all gears upon death as it keep the economy going and crafters employed by keeping the demand high.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I seriously hope the death penalty is not losing all gear upon death. They have already stated that the best gear will come from crafting and food has huge benefits. Plus the really really good gear is said to be crafted from items dropped off bosses. So if you have to go kill bosses and then craft the items to get good gear I don't want to loose it every time I die. Maybe losing something is ok but not everything.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by SnarkRitter

BTW is there any death penalty? I seriously hope that it will be losing all gears upon death as it keep the economy going and crafters employed by keeping the demand high.

Right now there is no death penalty at all. Who knows if they add it later.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

You could always delete your gear when you die.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Sinella

Right now there is no death penalty at all. Who knows if they add it later.

They have not focused on pvp much yet - there are systems(like nations) deactivated, but I think its safe to assume that there will be at least some sort of incentive to kill enemy factions/nations as well as price for death in pvp.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by elocke

Nice review.  Some things stood out to me, I'll post them here as I read about them.

"Another interesting facet of ArcheAge’s quests is the idea of underachieving and overachieving the goals given to you. Some quests can be turned in even if you don’t finish them completely, even if you only kill or gather half of what the quest giver wanted. In that case your reward will be less than the regular reward. The same quests can also be overachieved, by killing or gathering or doing more than necessary, then turning in the quest. In that situation your reward is more than normal."

This to me is one of those ideas that seems so obvious it makes one wonder why no one has implemented this in a game until now.  Very nice feature, for those of us who like quests and maybe feel guilty or unhappy when we abandon some of them or when we kill 50+ mobs getting back to the quest giver lol.

"Gear in ArcheAge isn’t easy to get unless you buy it from stores or get it from quests, and gear from those sources normally isn’t that great. The best gear is crafted and upgraded with enchantment stones, and good gear (green, blue, etc.) is also rarely dropped by mobs. If you get lucky, mobs will also drop the stones that you need to upgrade your existing gear."

So this makes the crafting game a very large portion of the game and the economy.  Good stuff.  Major bosses drop rare crafting mats too.

Killing N bears for paws shouldn't be a quest, it should be a job so that is appropriate.  Games need branching in quests for more interesting dynamics such as what happens when you fail.  At least one game in testing is doing some of that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"