Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Darkfall is in trouble...

DomestoDomesto Member Posts: 110

I started Darkfall with a number of friends on the US server. Some quit because they just could not handle being ganked, others quit because of bugs and balance issues, and the last have quit because the game just feels dead. I am the last of the group I started with that still plays but sometimes I feel like I am the last person playing on the server. I have joined a few different large clans/guilds, and even they have few people logging in now. It is very rare to see any pvp at cities and when there is it is small group raids (once in a great while you may get hit by 10 people, O M G!!#!#). Farming tomb iklits for gold gets real boring, but you can still get some pvp there. What I have noticed more than ever is how dead the chat channels are. Even trade chat is dead, with the rare message from a Chinese gold farmer trying to sell gold. Things are looking bad.

The OG ideas for the game sounded great, you should have stuck with them AV.

Comments

• AllSeeingGuyAllSeeingGuy Member Posts: 143

Yeah it is looking very bad. Rarely do I see many people anywhere if at all. Pretty much the only time anyone gets on is for a seige and with all the self seiging thats not very often. The past 4 clans I have been in died off due to inactivity as well. No one in my current clan logs in much anymore. Maybe a few days a week for a couple hours to duel and fight off people. We live near the center where it is claimed is pretty active, save Cairne. Everyone is fed up with AV not coming through with promises. Every other thread on the forums is bashing AV and linking stuff from 2 years ago that never made it into game. Slowly people are realizing that AV has been stringing them out with the carrot and people are leaving.

I love the game but if AV doesn't have something up there sleeve and present it soon as in patched working and available content, then I forsee the servers either merging or being shut down. Unless AV has no qualms about running empty servers then I say more power to them.

Also it seems as though they have made a trip over to Asia here in the past week, maybe they are hoping 200k asians will pick up playing DF and save the company?

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

Don`t worry.

Soon the last few fanbois will tell you why you are wrong, and why we all of a sudden have a few hundred less active players.

It`s summer,  vacation,  exam time, lack of advertising, lack of hardcopy of the game in stores, I can find pvp everytime i visit one of the three active citys on the map, you just don`t know were to look noob, meditation, no one wants to play this game when the grind is over, lack of pve.

There you got the answers we have had the last 1 1/2 years.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

That is sad, I left a couple of months after release for the same reasons, hoping that good things would come and I could get back in. I did sub for a month once but found things "same sh it...different trip" yet, I still hold my hopes for this game. Maybe AV will get the hint.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Darkfall will survive and this kind topics i dont believe anymore, this is a typical themepark fan who just try to advertise the one game they hate so much is a free for all fulloot pvp mmo thats suppose to be dead.

Come on be honest, who in godsname starting to play one of the hardest hardcore pvp games around and quit becouse they hate been ganked thats pathetic if your friends play this game without knowing what kind of game it was thats called stupid, but its so bizar that i realy dont believe you its just another hate topic try put darkfall down as dead game:(

If you are a themepark player who want a easy and safe mmo dont start playing a game like Darkfall, its not so hard to figure that out right?

And why i dont believe you is when you say its bugged and unpolished becouse thats not true eather.

Stay away from games like Darkfall if you can't handle some real pvp.

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by parrotpholk

AV takes to long to release anything new.  They may actually be the slowest in MMO history at releasing information or content.  They should have just released this expansion a little at a time rather than trying to remake the whole game all at once.  Sad I was hoping DF would pull it out.

Yes, you are right. They even would have done better with bugfixing one by one instead of trying to remake the whole game at once.

But the worst thing for me is, that they don't seem to add real new content, but ONLY try to remake the old.

People, who come back, won't play for long after realizing that all the new stuff AV did in two years, is some new lighting system, new sounds and a few new shiny armors.

I hope, i really hope, AV will add new content, they didn't tell us about. Content, which keeps people busy for hours and weeks.

But i doubt, they do.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I always said that DF lacked PVE

Without PvE there are no people to kill

Also the economy gas always been broken, and never fixed, which means that crafters too got fed up with it.

Darkfall is a dreat PvP game but AV failed to improve everything else

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Darkfall will survive and this kind topics i dont believe anymore, this is a typical themepark fan who just try to advertise the one game they hate so much is a free for all fulloot pvp mmo thats suppose to be dead.

Come on be honest, who in godsname starting to play one of the hardest hardcore pvp games around and quit becouse they hate been ganked thats pathetic if your friends play this game without knowing what kind of game it was thats called stupid, but its so bizar that i realy dont believe you its just another hate topic try put darkfall down as dead game:(

If you are a themepark player who want a easy and safe mmo dont start playing a game like Darkfall, its not so hard to figure that out right?

And why i dont believe you is when you say its bugged and unpolished becouse thats not true eather.

I've been reading threads about Darkfall being in trouble since before the game was even released. This game is a survivor and it's not going anywhere for a while.

Plenty of people love to shit on this game and seem to genuinely desire it's death. So I expect lots more of these threads as time goes on.

For my tastes, this is the best mmorpg currently released.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Come on, Darkfall is NOT a pvp mmo. Darkfall is a full-loot PVE mmo, or a PVE mmo with elements of PVP. 

Every teenager wow player (and his mother) will find ten times more pvp an hour than we find in a day. We "hardcore" pvpers spend most of our time left clicking at mobs to level our char or grind for gear. You know it`s true, and it has been like this the last two years. Some of you still dare to claim Darkfall as a pvp mmo when all the pvpers left after the first three months.

Again, Darkfall is a full-loot PVE mmo and no one likes that genre.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by AllSeeingGuy

Everyone is fed up with AV not coming through with promises. Every other thread on the forums is bashing AV and linking stuff from 2 years ago that never made it into game. Slowly people are realizing that AV has been stringing them out with the carrot and people are leaving.

The community has indeed been quite vicious for the past month or so, and it shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. I'm actually suprised to see this sudden shift. Usually you'd have a forumfall members split 50/50, but recently I'm just amazed at how much negativity has been spreading. Lots of "I Quit" threads and posts, lots of people saying Aventurine should sell to a different company, etc.  The players are definitively getting really tired of the way AV deals with Customers and DarkFall. The feedback on this new activity report (June 3rd) has been quite bad too.

I have no idea what you are talking about. My sub has been active since day one and still is active. I have not quit, I have been around for a long time, watched the forums, seen the droves of people leave during the hacking era, been around for all the broken economic exploits, been there done that from the ground up. And I am still there, while I watch friends disappear one after another.

When I put my opinion on here about the way the game is going you should know that I have the utmost respect for AV and the game they hold in there mits, but alas I have NEVER seen it this bad. Its desolate, its like playing diablo 2 on battle net in one room. No one plays. Believe it all you want, all you have to do is look on the forums to see. The game is in some seriously bad shape.

If AV doesn't add something worthwhile within the next few months I promise you no one will be playing it. But you don't have to take my word for it.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Hotjazz

Don`t worry.

Soon the last few fanbois will tell you why you are wrong, and why we all of a sudden have a few hundred less active players.

It`s summer,  vacation,  exam time, lack of advertising, lack of hardcopy of the game in stores, I can find pvp everytime i visit one of the three active citys on the map, you just don`t know were to look noob, meditation, no one wants to play this game when the grind is over, lack of pve.

There you got the answers we have had the last 1 1/2 years.

Where are the thousand new players according to your opinion would come back if the "biggest problem" of Darkfall "the grind" would be lowered ?

I find it very cynical now from you to claim  "no one wants to play this game when the grind is over"  while having complained almost the whole last year about the so called "grind". 

MMORPG chars need to progress, its one of the points of the genre, PvP for PvP sake you ll find in FPS games.   In MMORPG games there must exist longterm goals that makes you move towards them and one of them is skill progression.

Darkfall was in need of additionally mechanics of progression (you would call them grind) instead of takeing away tedious skill progression. (For example building citys out  in higher tiers) 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

it is odd but the us version is dead with not gaining subs on a fast rate while the europe server is active and still gaining players on a fast pace wich while get alot bigger when the game goes to steam.

i play an the europe server and i know many places that are always packed with players pvping

Originally posted by Onigod

i play an the europe server and i know many places that are always packed with players pvping

Also playing on the euro server and can confirm euro is still very active and lively.

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

I kinda throw money at them cause i want it to get good, the core is but it needs more extra work arround.

Well last week  i just wanted to log in and see what the people are doing (didnt log in for month+) chat seemed death , then i went into dungeon and saw player grave, didnt think much, just  oh well seems like noob was here what a coincidence to see another one here, 5min later i got jumped by the killer apparently, i don't know if chat is indication or my trip is. Hard to say how the population is doing without any data

Pi*1337/100 = 42

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by Onigod

Also playing on the euro server and can confirm euro is still very active and lively.

I have a char on EU server as well and log in everyonce in awhile. The last few times I have , trade was 2 people and human racial chat maybe 10 people. This was at EU primetime. Saying the game is alive because of a seige that goes live on friday night isn't a accurate description of population.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Also remember that it is a game that was supposdley in full development for 10 years + yet looks and feels like it has had maybe a year at most spent on it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I dont even play DF but the OP's post sounded real to me. Sorry to hear that you no longer find the game fun anymore and I wish you the best. To the Blind Fanboys you are part fo the problem with this game.

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Heres the guy that still doesnt get it,  themepark blaa blaa, F2P blaa blaa, cant handle "hardcore" PVP blaa blaa.  Dude WAKE up none of that is relavent because hardly anyone is playing the game.  None of the things you mentioned have ANY bearing on why people play or dont play DF.  Most people that try the game doent have enough fun to stick around. So whats your point?  You think AV should run some kind of Charity game for people like you? 

Originally posted by alderdale

Heres the guy that still doesnt get it,  themepark blaa blaa, F2P blaa blaa, cant handle "hardcore" PVP blaa blaa.  Dude WAKE up none of that is relavent because hardly anyone is playing the game.  None of the things you mentioned have ANY bearing on why people play or dont play DF.  Most people that try the game doent have enough fun to stick around. So whats your point?  You think AV should run some kind of Charity game for people like you? 

He is right tho, most just stop playing cause they can't take dying. If they can't take dying and that causes them to not have fun in a PvP game then they lost to this type of game anyway.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by alderdale

He is right tho, most just stop playing cause they can't take dying. If they can't take dying and that causes them to not have fun in a PvP game then they lost to this type of game anyway.

My time spent in DF was littered with gankings. While they were a hindrance they never really caused me to want to quit since I learned to never get attached to anything in the game besides my skills. Which brings me to the reason I left, the grind back then was awful. Just plain too much with out macroing or leaving my PC on 24/7 and my character swimming into a rock or running into one. Once I got to skilling up my magic and I saw the mats needed to be farmed and the masteries needed... I quit. That just isn't fun for me, even if the end PvP would have been a blast. So at least in my experience the PKing was never the real issue.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I quit darkfall when i joined a clan and we sat in some tower for two hours because we KNEW there was going to be some raid.  We waited and waited, and one person shot some spell at us then ran away, so we KNEW it was fixing to start. after another hour we left, and all in the clan was talking about how cool it was.

There is a definate Idea that because its FFA full loot its harder, from my experience the gear isn't  as powerful because of it, I would collect, 25 sets of armor so if I died I just grabbed another out of the bank and went on my merry way. I am not forcasting Doom and Gloom for the game, but for such a HUGE gameworld it services such a small niche.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Domesto

Darkfall is in the Black.  The game gave me one of the better sandboxy PvP-team, competitive and political oriented mmorpg experiences for @8 months when it first came out; a better experience than I've had with any sandbox is the past several years, but lack of single-player or small-team player-base game-play enrichment and sustainment did make for an eventual of myself.

None-the-less, that's a helluva lot more than I can say for Mortal Online, Earthrise, or Xyson, when comparing Indie sanboxy titles.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Originally posted by Domesto

None-the-less, that's a helluva lot more than I can say for Mortal Online, Earthrise, or Xyson, when comparing Indie sanboxy titles.

This I have to agree with. I spent far more time in DF than in any of the other indie games I've played. Even when I was solo/lone wolfing I found a good amount of fun in it, which I cannot say for the others.

You are not a fanboi, you are a fanbot. By this type of game, do you mean the PVE mmo Darkfall?

You, I and every person that have tried Darkfall know it is a full-loot pve mmo. When you spent 99% of your time in-game doing PVE, you can`t call it a pvp mmo. Sure if you call the one or two pvp encounters a day pvp, then you are right. The sad thing is that a PVE mmo will have 10 or 20 pvp encounters every hour. The only difference is we have full-loot and most of the time that loot is bone armor, a blackbolt and some regs.

I played UO for 5 years with full-loot, and belive me I can take the dying. What I can`t take, is the huge amount of PVE we need to do just to get some pvp. Oh and we need to do more PVE is this so-called pvp mmo than a Korean grinder. Let me enlighten you.

A new player wants to pvp, but first he needs to get pvp viable. So his first hour each day is spent killing NPCs to get 6k gp to fuel his meditation. I know you hardcore PVE players know spots you can get a trillion gp an hour, but the average player don`t. The next hour is not spent on pvp either. The new player need to get gp for regs to level his spells, so back to the boring NPCs again. I don`t think he will be ganked by a high level player as the game is so empty he is lucky to see another player. If he is lucky and have a gearbag he can look for pvp the third hour he is online. If he is extremly lucky, he can find a player at his level during that hour. This is his what he does for 6 months, kill NPCs. Three hour a day is what a normal person can play each day, but the basement-dwellers that currently play Darkfall can play 16 hours.

It`s not easy for us vets either. If we lose 2-3 siegebags, we have to kill NPCs for a week to replace them. So we are not afraid of dying, we are afraid of doing the humongous anount of pve needed to pvp. I can only stand the boring pve for 20 minutes before i feel the taste of puke in my mouth.

Never call Darkfall a pvp mmo. In UO I had 99% pvp, in Darkfall I have 99% pve.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

While Darkfall is a "PvP" MMO, you can kill things in PvE is you so choose. The problem is...why? If the reason is to only do it so you can get/make better stuff for PvP....AND.....if PvP in the game like so many other PvP games is pointless, why play? It is not that the game mechanics in Darkfall are bad. It is that PvP is just a mindless meanless time sink and PvE is only to feed that same boring mindless main feature of the game. Let's face it, to go PvP other players just to say "I win" isn't too much fun.

Let's party like it is 1863!