Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How cool is this???

2»

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by crunk001

Ok whats abit weird in this Preview, that you can not see where you first planted your other Trees.

But still, really cool - that's also the thing that removes my complaining thoughts when I first said "the vast landscape looks empty". Well yes it looks empty, because you can actually fill it with life.

Wonderful!

He's just planting the seeds, the trees have to grow first!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Yamota

Planting a forest is cool? Well maybe in RL but in an MMORPG?

We already have Farmville and Xyson (or whatever it is called). I hope ArcheAge focus more on combat and conflict than planting flowers.

Then go play one of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of other MMO's that focus mainly on combat and conflict.

Edit: Just to be clear, I care about combat also but I want an MMO that's a world (Like UO was) with many things to do, there are plenty of games where the combat is polished but that's all there is to do...

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Originally posted by ameese

Wow, ok, FFA PvP stupidity AND micromanagement hell.

I will surely be missing this one.

Damn micromanagment of those trees!  Ya man screw this game!  You should avoid this one!  :)

Or you could just not plant trees and stuff and enjoy the rest of the world....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

Some of you don't understand what planting forests can do, let me explain it in the method you people can understand.

1. Join Guild.

2. Everybody buys seeds.

3. Everybody plants trees in high traffic grinding area.

4. ?

5. Profit!

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

The video is great. I already made my own forest in my land in an other mmo,, and it was great to actually build something rather than just destroying things. But in this one you actually planted trees to raise your wood quality and overall item quality when building wood stuff. And it was really nice because it unlock an other dimension in crafting/building. Is there any quality scale when crafting in AA, or something similar? Or is there an other inner purpose in growing tree apart from having more wood at your disposal?

Originally posted by Yamota

Planting a forest is cool? Well maybe in RL but in an MMORPG?

We already have Farmville and Xyson (or whatever it is called). I hope ArcheAge focus more on combat and conflict than planting flowers.

No actually i think the purpose of this game is to design gardens so we can give each other flowers for free when playing our guitars, see the guys in the video have guitar, i think they are all hippies. Haven't see someone smoking illegal stuff though... Maybe we can spam the korean forum to have this implemented...

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Yaos

Some of you don't understand what planting forests can do, let me explain it in the method you people can understand.

1. Join Guild.

2. Everybody buys seeds.

3. Everybody plants trees in high traffic grinding area.

4. ?

5. Profit!

I don't think you can plant and build houses whereever you want, it will have to be allocated area. Or else the terrain will become a disaster to navigate through.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

National Geographic will want some of whatever he's got going there ;)

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

**Tom Bombadil plants tree**

**Tom Bombadil plants flower patch**

Tom Bombadil: "Hey ho derry do Tom Bombadilo"

**Grungemunkey's backstab hits Tom Bombadil for 2453 HP damage**

**Tom Bombadil bleeds for 856 HP damage**

**Tom Bombadil has died**

**Grungemunkey begins to harvest timber**

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by Pinkninja

Anybody notice how the horse didn't despawn, it just followed him/her around. Possible that the mounts don't despawn?

There are buttons (probably bound to hotkeys as well) to control your mount. You can choose to ride on it, you can make it follow you around or you can despawn it. The user in the video just decided to go for the second option :)

Also: its faster to hop back on your mount if you do not despawn it.

Mounts are not items you just use. There's surprising depth in the system.

The problem is this can cause issues with lag, if 50 people are in one area and each has a mount out servers can take a hit. If Star wars galaxies is any indication anway... The added graphical fidelity could also up the ante on this issue. Maybe I'm wrong and AA won't suffer from this issue, if it's anything like SWG though, this will be a bad idea in the end. Especially if players get pissed, this is one method that was used in SWG to crash servers.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by Malickie

Anybody notice how the horse didn't despawn, it just followed him/her around. Possible that the mounts don't despawn?

There are buttons (probably bound to hotkeys as well) to control your mount. You can choose to ride on it, you can make it follow you around or you can despawn it. The user in the video just decided to go for the second option :)

The problem is this can cause issues with lag, if 50 people are in one area and each has a mount out servers can take a hit. If Star wars galaxies is any indication anway... The added graphical fidelity could also up the ante on this issue. Maybe I'm wrong and AA won't suffer from this issue, if it's anything like SWG though, this will be a bad idea in the end. Especially if players get pissed, this is one method that was used in SWG to crash servers.

I do agree that it may cause graphic lag on the user end, but I don't see it messing up the server. (I guess it depends on their setup) This is the game that is going to finally make me upgrade my computer so I don't have to worry about my end.

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

I thought I'd drop in and say something about planting forests:

Cutting down a tree takes at least 1 labor point. You regenerate LP at the rate of 1 every 10 minutes or so. New characters start with 10 labor points.

Therefore, if someone takes the time to plant a couple hundred trees, other people are rather unlikely to waste slow-regenerating labor points on cutting them down, unless the trees are in a particularly annoying alignment.

• BallistaBallista Member UncommonPosts: 120

I loved this video :p I wish more people focused on these sort of "sand box" elements for video instead of questing and PKing.

I asked a few people like steparu and AAsource to try to get some taming in (to see if it was anything like UO's taming) but nothing. Really hope people can show off the taming system in the next CBT.

• myndziussmyndziuss Member UncommonPosts: 26

Add decent character creation like Aion and you have got the worlds best mmorpg :P Hell if this game would have character creation like eve it would be the game of my dreams :-)

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Malickie

Youre wrong, while it does take a little to proces the data, its not that much, Once upon a time far far away there were bike's and banta's roaming around whitout despawing when the owner left them alone, and everyone had several creatures or NPC's pets (imp/rep) out.  the ground was shaken by creature pets bioengineerd and tamed to be the biggest, the size you these days only see as endgame bosses.  ahh the good old times....

anyway... models do not take much to display , you need a 1000 horses (assuming they done thier modeling work right) to make fps lag to much. its textures that cause trouble mostly.  the newly "not yet launced" APB is a fine exsample, the game shows tons and tons of textures all mixed up by players on thier cars and clothing in anycolor they wish , its these textures that create the infamos "out of memory" bug.  the few hunderd cars , and npc's  do not create lag as all as those models are limeted

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

Originally posted by Ballista

I loved this video :p I wish more people focused on these sort of "sand box" elements for video instead of questing and PKing.

I asked a few people like steparu and AAsource to try to get some taming in (to see if it was anything like UO's taming) but nothing. Really hope people can show off the taming system in the next CBT.

Hey Ballista, I tried finding the taming skill, but I couldn't figure it out. Sorry. Maybe next time? :)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Requiamer

The video is great. I already made my own forest in my land in an other mmo,, and it was great to actually build something rather than just destroying things. But in this one you actually planted trees to raise your wood quality and overall item quality when building wood stuff. And it was really nice because it unlock an other dimension in crafting/building. Is there any quality scale when crafting in AA, or something similar? Or is there an other inner purpose in growing tree apart from having more wood at your disposal?

One of the blurbs on the AA site stated that you could use tree planting for strategical placement and scouting in PVP.  In other words, you plant the trees, as a perimeter and you can climb them and sit on top, hidden presumably, and then leap down on encroaching enemies. 

So many options come to mind in being able to plant trees and climb them.  This game is giving us tools to build forts, like we did when we were kids while also giving us a combat and quest/storyline system that makes WoW so fun to play.  I can't wait for this game.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Tardcore

**Tom Bombadil plants tree**

**Tom Bombadil plants flower patch**

Tom Bombadil: "Hey ho derry do Tom Bombadilo"

**Grungemunkey's backstab hits Tom Bombadil for 2453 HP damage**

**Tom Bombadil bleeds for 856 HP damage**

**Tom Bombadil has died**

**Grungemunkey begins to harvest timber**

Fool of a Took!  Don't you know Tom Bombadil can't die?

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Requiamer

One of the blurbs on the AA site stated that you could use tree planting for strategical placement and scouting in PVP.  In other words, you plant the trees, as a perimeter and you can climb them and sit on top, hidden presumably, and then leap down on encroaching enemies. 

So many options come to mind in being able to plant trees and climb them.  This game is giving us tools to build forts, like we did when we were kids while also giving us a combat and quest/storyline system that makes WoW so fun to play.  I can't wait for this game.

They should let us design a castle where you will need to climb a tree to get into the castle, then create a chat channel exclusively inside the castle, then bamp, no gold spammer inside any castle

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• BallistaBallista Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by MarkJW

Originally posted by Ballista

Hey Ballista, I tried finding the taming skill, but I couldn't figure it out. Sorry. Maybe next time? :)

Yay! :) big TY

Also for anyone who hasn't seen them AAsource posted parts 1 and 2 of their 3 part review at: http://archeage-online.com/