Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I buy EvE; will someone be so kind to teach me how this game works?

2»

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by chrisel

This shows, again, that the most hardcore MMO's do have the better communities. At least I feel so.

In general, I have found it so. Of course, this wont stop anybody shooting you in game, but if you play up and show good attitude, the guy who killed you will often explain what you did wrong, how you could have done better, etc.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Zoobi
    I good start would be to buy some Game Time Codes from the eve website. You can then sell these in game for in game cash. Then toodle off to the character bazaar and buy yourself a character with about 20million skilpoints. With the in game cash and new toon-out-of-a-box you can get down to the serious business of having fun (getting blown up).
    Or you can spend 2 years or so skilling up a new toon and really getting to the know the game. Find a helpful corp that'll show teach you how to play while you dream of all those internet spaecships you cant fly yet .. :-)

First option yes! How much does this cost, and when you say "buy a character", do I still keep my own characters name, or how does this work?

Oh dear...forget buying a char and selling PLEX for starter ISK, it's stupid advice, especially if you want to PVP.

More skill points and lots of ISK means an option of losing expensive ships and as a new to the PVP, you will lose a lot so flying anything expensive is pointless.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I take it the ISK is the currency in EvE? Are there any use for me getting myself some ISK? I got some offers to activate trial account for ISK. Seeing all this talk about ISK, does this game support ISK selling in any way? If not, how can I get my pockets filled with ISK from RL cash they days I need it?

Bare with my newb questions, but the former times I tried the game I never got past the tutorial program. Not that I wanted to, but I felt so cokpletely lost...

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I take it the ISK is the currency in EvE? Are there any use for me getting myself some ISK? I got some offers to activate trial account for ISK. Seeing all this talk about ISK, does this game support ISK selling in any way? If not, how can I get my pockets filled with ISK from RL cash they days I need it?

Bare with my newb questions, but the former times I tried the game I never got past the tutorial program. Not that I wanted to, but I felt so cokpletely lost...

Yes, isk is the in-game currency.

People will offer you isk to use their trial invite because if you subscribe, they will get bonus time on their account or a PLEX. This is known as the Buddy Program.

Plex is Eve Online's innovative way of dealing with isk sellers (gold spammer companies). Basically it is quite ingenious. Players can legally buy a PLEX from Eve Online for real world money ($20 for one, $35 for two, etc etc). You can purchase them in your Account Management section of the Eve Online website. Then you can go ingame and sell the PLEX on the open market. Right now the going price is 400,000,000.00 isk (400 million). Since the game world is a real open free market, prices do vary. Plexes will add 30 days of game time to your account.

This system allows players to buy isk legally from a controlled environment, like the actual game website, instead of dealing with shadey gold spamming companies. Players can buy Plexes, then resell them ingame. At the same time players who have ways of generating isk can basically play Eve Online for free by just dedicating time every 30 days to make a certain amount of isk.

It's actually quite cool, so after you play for some time, and figure out how to make fast isk, you can basically enjoy a quality game for free. For example I manufacture and trade items in the open market and make enough isk to sustain two accounts by dedicating an hour a day of playing. Other players run wormholes with their corp, some strictly manufacture, others haul cargo for traders, some ransom other players out in low security space. It is all up to your imagination, the wonders of a real sandbox game.

Yes, ISK is EVE Online virtual currency.

Because EVE Online has truly developed economy system, money management is important part, not to say key part, of your operations.

Remember that everything in EVE are just tools and resources and it is up to you how you will utilize them. Tools(like ships and modules) can do different things and come at different price. It is up to you to pick the right tool for intended task and resources avaiable.

ie. if you want to start PVPing, it is better to fly smaller, easily replaceable ships that are cheap rather than flying expensive, large ships that require way more skill points to be able to fly them effectively.

As for ISK selling, there is no RMT or cash shop. What you can do though, is to purchase a Game Time Code and convert it to in-game item that you can trade with other players. That way you can pay your subscription with in-game money.

• RagemasterRagemaster Member UncommonPosts: 131

I highly recommend joining EVE university... they are a training corp whos entier purpose is to prepare new players for the road ahead in EVE. Joining EVE UNI would be a great starting point for any new player looking to get intoi the game.,

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You said earlier that one of the things you're looking is fast action. For all of EVEs greatness, fast action is not a particlular strength of the game.

While I thoroughly recommend to spend some more time to get a better idea of EVE, if action is what you're looking for, you might want to take a peek at Dark Prophecy as well.

Originally posted by Naqaj

You said earlier that one of the things you're looking is fast action. For all of EVEs greatness, fast action is not a particlular strength of the game.

While I thoroughly recommend to spend some more time to get a better idea of EVE, if action is what you're looking for, you might want to take a peek at Dark Prophecy as well.

I am well aware that EvE is all but "fast" action. I am very fascinated by EvE and I think I can get "into" this game despite this "flaw". Well, at least I hope. Thanks for the tip about Dark Prophecy, will look into it!

Originally posted by Naqaj
    I am well aware that EvE is all but "fast" action. I am very fascinated by EvE and I think I can get "into" this game despite this "flaw". Well, at least I hope. Thanks for the tip about Dark Prophecy, will look into it!

That's a misconception.

EVE can and with smaller ships it is 'fast'. It is not twitch though.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Gdemami

That's a misconception.

EVE can and with smaller ships it is 'fast'. It is not twitch though.

Fair point. Once you're in a fight, it can be fast.

I understood the OP to mean action as in "direct control, dogfight style" combat. Maybe a misinterpretation on my side.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Here's a link to a pretty good game guide, ISK 3.0, which you can either buy if you like a hard copy, or download a PDF version for free. (or just use the on-line version)  Will help answer a lot of your basic new player questions and has some decent story telling mixed in.

http://www.isktheguide.com/

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Here's a link to a pretty good game guide, ISK 3.0, which you can either buy if you like a hard copy, or download a PDF version for free. (or just use the on-line version)  Will help answer a lot of your basic new player questions and has some decent story telling mixed in.

http://www.isktheguide.com/

Thanks for teh guide! Man EvE is overwhelming, but I am not giving up. My main problem is to find the pirates I am sendt out to kill for my agent.

First I find it VERY hard to find them Pirates, then I use like 10-15 minutes to kill them. An some of them are so powerful they nearly 3 shot me...

What am I doing wrong here?

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

What am I doing wrong here?

you dint post the mission name, your ship, your ship fitting and what ammo you use

BestSigEver :P

Mission is called "Cash flow for capsuleers".

I have killed the pirates, now I have to find "one unit of  Civilians". I am scanning the solar system and warping to each green field I get up, but unable to find any capsules with civilians. I have been stuck for quite a while with this mission now. thing is that this is a part of the tutorial so I really think skipping this aint very smart of me... Any help?

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

The civilians will be found in the cargohold of one of the ships that you destroyed. It will be in the "deadspace" area that the mission stuff takes place in.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Allright! Mission completed and I got me a new ship! Wohoo, things are going better = me happy :)

Phew, hard to master this game, but the more satisfactory I feel when I overcome the obstacles!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I have killed the pirates, now I have to find "one unit of  Civilians". I am scanning the solar system and warping to each green field I get up, but unable to find any capsules with civilians. I have been stuck for quite a while with this mission now. thing is that this is a part of the tutorial so I really think skipping this aint very smart of me... Any help?

I think the civilians are likely to drop in a canister when you kill one of the pirates.  Cash flow is a series of missions if i remember.

If it's gone wrong u could try filing a petition from the help menu and see if u can get it reset. 

Also don't forget the rookie help chat window if u need to ask ingame.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

I already posted this in your other thread, but it seems you were having some trouble in this thread about missions. Not sure if anyone recommended this site to you, but I used it all the time. Great stuff, it shows what to tank/what to deal, steps of the mission, what ships do what in the mission, and some actually have videos.

http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

and your ship and the fit is ?

BestSigEver :P

• NoriSarelNoriSarel Member Posts: 14

Hey Chrisel. Just want to reiterate what some people posted about not trusting anyone. This is a open PVP game and a lot of people are jerks. A lot of people are awesome too however, you just need to be careful. I'm guessing you are getting a 21 day trial, so just have fun and don't give your referral to just anyone sending you PMs. Make sure to get something out of it because a PLEX is worth a lot of money... Anywho, if you want, add me to your contact list. I'm not the most experienced player, but I've been around the block and can help you out (plus I'm a really nice guy  image)

Novgond Galathil