Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you believe FPS/TPS/Aiming combat is the future of the MMORPG genre?

13»

Comments

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by JthX

Originally posted by punkrock

i voted for TAB, i cant stand FPS crap thats why i nev er got into it. and its a shame there adding that crap into our mmo games. FPS people get the hell out of our mmo games ugh really take your community and get out and take the WOW people with you to. thank you

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online.

(Just means ALOT of people together basically)

The Genre within MMO's you love is the RPG

Don't worry bro, the "FPS Crowd" Won't be invading you're Fantasy RPG's. And the WoW crowd only really affect the game of WoW. And unless you play WoW, i wouldn't worry about them ruining all other RPG's either.

(Only the Developers of other games trying to mimick WoW ruin the Rpg genre)

Anyways, i want to see them do alot more with MMOs then over ride the Fantasy Genre. I think all of gaming itself should come to be MMO social. Even skate boarding games and other sports.

I just started APB, and is that game fking awesome. I had more fun last night playing than i have with other RPGs in quite awhile. Makes me deffenitly agree that other game companys should look into the MMO Genre.

RPG = Role-Playing Game

(Just means that you assume the role of something)

People have a lot of different opinions about what a role-playing game has to entail, and most fall back onto the old pen and paper system of level/skill character advancement. Doesn't mean that's the only way; it's just the most common.

There can be RPGs with FPS and TPS combat. There can even be RPGs with RTS type systems. They can also be combined in different ways to make unique game types. The only limit is a person's imagination and open-mindedness.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• David99David99 Member Posts: 224

Asheron's call required aiming back in 99... sad to see the genre is only starting to catching on now.

Skilled players > geared players.

The way it always should have been.

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I voted Niether........ I truely believe the next BIG thing in how we play games will be a different type of interface/controler, much like how WII has forever changed console gaming.   I believe a company will come out with a dual system game play type, one you can play traditionally or you can experience the game via thier new "Controler" which, much like the WII, will allow you far more dynamic interface with the game enviroment. A better "Feel" .  Whom will come out with this and when, i am unsure, cept to guess within the next 2-5 years, at least in some limited form. Then the Rush to improve upon the system and expand its use will occur , and within 15 years from now i suspect we will no longer use a thing called a " keyboard " to game with at all.  Physical movements and voice commands will probly replace 95% + of gaming interfaces over the next decade.

A very Exciting time to be a Gamer. Much like those of us who ventured out in original online games like EQ, with such excitement, these new platforms for gaming will provide the next thresholds of gaming play!  I for one cant wait!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I don't think these types of games should take over... their fun and all but they bring in aimbots which are client side hacks that can't be detected.

So I guess if developers want their games full of cheaters aiming games are the way to go.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Haegemon

Originally posted by Axehilt

RPGs have historically been popular specifically because they've been light on the twitch requirement.  That won't change anytime soon.

The overall ratio of players preferring twitch vs. non-twitch games is unlikely to shift dramatically.

Nope, won't change at all. Mass Effect shifting to a much more twitch-friendly combat system isn't change at all. DA2 dropping the traditional RPG stylings of DA:O and BG style games for a more action-centric combat. Witcher 2 falling somewhere between twitch and semi-masochistic endurance trials on the higher difficulties.

Nope, nothing is changing at all.

Those games trying to push things forward would never sell. Mass Effect 2 could have never sold 2mil in a week... DA2 couldn't possibly have opened better than DA:O, even if only by say, 10-20k units per platform difference... Wticher 2 is still new enough to wait on sales figures, but the low-hype from first game outside poland compared to the much stronger build-up it's recieved for 2, no... no way it'd be better than the non-twitch 1st game.

Oh wait, nevermind. Those games are selling. Those markets are emerging. The potential and possiblities for RPGs are expanding.

Plus, FPS games are learning a hell of a lot from RPG's. If the old-RPG's won't splinter off and created hybrids from their foundations, FPS games will splinter off and start exploring RPG-systems themselves.

Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Deus Ex. Hell, Warren Spector basically gave us the building blocks for how to integrate FPS with RPG.

And we've moved further, to Fallout 3, Fallen Earth and the STALKER series.

Hell, if STALKER could be an MMO, that'd be a dream. Gears only as good as you can maintain it to be, and you'll only hit what you're actually capable of aiming/shooting at.

Salvage, rummage, and the only stats you ever manage are wieght/capacity, health, stamina, fatigue/sleep, ammo, and environmentals like radiation, lightning, psionics, etc.

But no traditional stats, very easy to die, and it's not to bad seeing the game over screen when you get to see the pack of dogs that killed you actually fight over the body intelligently before dragging it into the bushes as a larger mutant wanders over.

If you think DA2 and Fallout 3 are demanding games in terms of twitch skill, then you don't really understand what twitch skill is.  These are games where any semblence of twitch skill is still very strongly offloaded to stats, gear, and progression.  That's the core of what makes RPGs popular.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Axehilt

If you think DA2 and Fallout 3 are demanding games in terms of twitch skill, then you don't really understand what twitch skill is.  These are games where any semblence of twitch skill is still very strongly offloaded to stats, gear, and progression.  That's the core of what makes RPGs popular.

Yep... being able to press the V button to stop the action and take aim at a body part isn't really twitch at all.  It's not really a trend to go toward "twitch", IMO, as it is a trend to eliminate turn-based mechanics.

An overall positive thing, IMO, but I do wish someone would make the next DnD MMO with turn-based combat.  The kind of coordinated strategy that turn-based mechanics allow is probably the biggest thing that gets diluted in DDO. 

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

It will have a niche, possibly a strong niche, but it won't become the norm any time soon.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

After years of playing tab targeting MMO's and then playing Darkfall, i found it an MMO changing experience.

Like others posting here, once you've felt the adrenaline rush that you get from a FPSMMO experience, going back to a regular vanilla tab-targ MMO is like de-evolving. Rift was my latest try with a tab targeting game and i managed to get to level 12 before i wanted to go emo on myself due to the boredom of 1.2.3 button mashing.

I personally think the future is FPS, Darkfall has shown developers that it can be done and done in an accurate way. Having said that, i dont think your need the aim of a god like in a full on FPS, but rather "Oh your close enough" were reward you with a hit kind of system that gives a player a sense of self satisfaction knowing that they didn't just press a button, but they actually aimed as well!

Have a read of the 5 creepy things devs do to get you hooked, thats posted elsewhere and your see that mixing in a bit more playerskill by making you aim, will give that player more satisfaction and therefore get them that little bit more addicted to their product.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Tab targeting (my preference) is becoming a thing of the past, seems games are coming out with manual aiming (some with a sticky target method like in Tabula Rasa).

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Do you believe FPS/TPS/Aiming combat is the future of the MMORPG genre?

Definitly yes, most single player rpg have this kind of combat already.  It will be the same in mmo in few gen too. Also i'm pretty sure tab targeting will slowly die or become very rare.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

yes...

after playing the lieks of darkfall and a few others i cant go back to tab target games they just bore me..

but thats just me, im sure others like the tab targeting better :)

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by z80paranoia

i think fully automated characters is the future. institutionalized botting.

I had that idea for a game too where the purpose of the game is to write a macro or bot which then goes out and plays the game for you including pvp and everything. And anyone playing their character for real would be banned.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

answer to topic title: i hope so and if its not the case i wouldnt be a mmo player in the future.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Asmiroth20

I voted for neither.  There are two problems with games with that style combat.  Anyone who has played FPS can probably tell you what they are.  Latency and aimbot.

Ye but in fps combat usual bot are very hard to make, you don't have bot that will send a toon in a farming zone and kill stuff for you in a mmofps, this kind of bot was also a plague for tab targeting mmo. So its a trade off : mmo bot vs aimbot. I don't know which one is worth honestly.

Also all games are plagued with cheats, its not something that will stop the advancement or the evolution of game at all.