Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion on picking up Vanguard

BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up this game for a year or so until Archage/gw2 comes out, and had a few questions if someone could help :)  Im under no illusions that the game is not perfect or bug free, but wondered what you thought on the following things (Ive been playing mmorgs since the 80's so Im not scared of grinding etc :) :

1. Looking for a big immersive game world to explore and lengthy levelling process I can enjoy (this is the biggie that I think I can get out of the game)

2 re above, what is the levelling experience like?

3. Is there main cities with healthy populations still?

4. is the servers stable, whats the best/busiest server.

4 Would you recommend it?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Comments

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

The world is big.  Lots of different places to go with different lvl ranges and quests.  Leveling is standard, takes longer the higher you go up but I say it has a nice pace.  The classes are excellent and make leveling more enjoyable.  The real problem is the population.  Some places/quests require a couple people and finding those people can be difficult. 

The cities are decent size and there is plenty to do but the population is lacking aside from the trial island.

The servers are stable but there are plenty of bugs in game.  None of them are gamebreaking but can be annoying at times.  Gonna use  /reload and /flush a lot but the game is playable. 

The game is good but I couldn't enjoy it solo.  If you can get over the small issues and the low population then you should go for it.   

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

cheers m8, is the payment methods safe?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Also anyone that previously owned the game (like myself) can play for 45 days free right now so now is the time. . there should be a decent amount of players online.  At least that is what I have gathered.  I am currently playing SWG. . and strangely enjoying it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

someone stick the kettle on in game :P

im downloading now, 20% to go  (worth a pop at £7)

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Very good, welcome to Telon!  I recommend looking up the Twighlyte Song guild in-game - they have tons of people on at all hours, run plenty of leveling stuff, and seem a great bunch of people to boot.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by Bladestrom

someone stick the kettle on in game :P

im downloading now, 20% to go  (worth a pop at £7)

You can play the trial Island or one of the original starting zones.  I and I'm sure everyone would recommend the trial island, as they have the best tutorials, and you will finish with the best weapons and armor.

A little hint, once you finish the trial island you can't go back. So....Once you find a class you like and feel that its really the class for you Then and only then take up crafting so you don't have to do it several times over, and don't leave the trial island unless you get harvesting to 100 and crafting high.... thats if your even into crafting.

When you leave the trial island you will have a choice of three 10-15 level areas, I would recommend Vaskels Exchange as it's the center hub of the game. People don't seem to hang in large cities as much as Vaskels Exchange.

Originally posted by Ardwulf

Very good, welcome to Telon!  I recommend looking up the Twighlyte Song guild in-game - they have tons of people on at all hours, run plenty of leveling stuff, and seem a great bunch of people to boot.

love to, logging in now!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Ardwulf

love to, logging in now!

I think once you get through the trial island (if you choose to go that way... it' sgreat because there is a concentration of people, tutorials and good weapons/armor though you lose out a bit on the lore in each starting area) you will be shocked as to how large and expansive the world is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Some answers noone seem ask for anymore:

!. beautiful sky
    2. weather
    3. day and night (unlike WoW)
    4. intertidal

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Your gonna cry that there is no support for the game, best mmorpg out there as of now.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

finished tweaking the settings to get everything as max as possible - looknig not too bad.  Forcing myself to play first perspective and enjoying the fact i actually dont have a clue what to do or where to go :) 

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

finished tweaking the settings to get everything as max as possible - looknig not too bad.  Forcing myself to play first perspective and enjoying the fact i actually dont have a clue what to do or where to go :) 

Don't forget to read the quests and click on the text inside quest window. This can sometimes lead to a quest that isn't quite obvious untill you do.
  • klokwurkklokwurk Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Don't forget to read the quests and click on the text inside quest window. This can sometimes lead to a quest that isn't quite obvious untill you do.

Good advice. Reading quest text can be important, especially with diplomacy quests where the next step is sometimes in the parley text.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by klokwurk

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Good advice. Reading quest text can be important, especially with diplomacy quests where the next step is sometimes in the parley text.

or, just not take quests and go exploring.

that's the great thing about Vanguard.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo