Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What race for pvp purpose? (New player soon playing EvE...)

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Hi all.

As I am new to EvE I really would like to know how much my very first choice has to say for my future in PvP; my race.

Some here in forum said that it does'nt have much or anything to say, some say it does. If I could have some input on this it would help me alot to get started once the game is finished downloading.

Cheeers & thanks!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Just started EVE myself and I think the only difference between races is location, starting skills, and some stats, which I believe you can reassign and improve with implants - so it really doesn't matter all that much since you can still train/buy the best stuff for pvp.

Not a pro but thats how I think it works.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Would be great with some pro's feedback here. I am considering the Caldari Achura bloodline... I read it was good for small group and single pvp.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

This is a good question, and to be honest with you a lot has changed since I first started my toons a long time ago.

The reason you might get conflicting answers is because a long time ago depending on what line you chose and race chosen mattered a lot. The different lines in each race were startng of with skills in some aspect of the game and better stats for those skills. For example one Caldari racial line would excel at science skills, whereas another Caldari line would excel at mining, or combat. Each race had different lines specializing in different aspect of the game (meaning they started out with some of the basic skills of that profession and higher stats associated with those skills).

Once again it doesn't matter much because you can train all these skills quickly yourself, you can remap all your attributes, and the tutorial will give you a LOT of the skill books as rewards that you need that you did not start off with.

But I think that all has changed now. I am not 100% but I think they might have done away with all that vastly different stat combinations, and basically everyone starts the same with the only exception is location/starter ships and associated ship skill based solely on race. The tutorial will now give you the appropriate skill books you need as you do them. So if you do the mining tutorial, it will give you the starting mining skill books you need as rewards from the missions, same for exploration, combat, etc etc.

If I get a chance I will try to start a few toons and double check all this information later tonight. Personally You can't go wrong with Caldari  :)    you get to start remotely close to Jita (the main trading hub of the universe) and the ships look pretty cool in my opinion, with Amarr having some really nice looking ships overall.

Lots of people used to start Caldari because SOME of the best PVE ships are Caldari, and some people would start Minmatar because SOME of the best PVP ships were Min. But all that is really a matter of opinion now and remember you can cross train anything. It doesn't matter much.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Love em or hate em, the Goonswarm has some excellent resources, and one of the best that is publically viewable is this Character creation guide.

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Basic_Character_Creation

You want advice from pro's, follow this then.  But whatever you do, do not attempt to join Goonswarm in game, besides a somewhat questionable reputation, the fact is they do not open recruit in-game, no matter what one of their members tells you.

(Only way to join Goons is to become a paying member of Somethingawful.com for a few months and when/if you join them in EVE you'll be paying a monthly membership fee of 15 - 50.00 a month)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

race only matters on how your character looks and what system you start in, and all starting systems are the same.

in eve you can do anything you want period. (really, anything you want)

you are amar but want to join the caldari faction? no problem run some missions for caldari corporation to gain their trust (which can be done in couple of hours, assuming you have not destroyed your reputation with them, which i doutbt you have... since you are starting) and join their militia

or simply dont join them and join a player corporation and play with them.

world pvp? heh you can get shot ANYWHERE

the only difference is that in high security system (top right of your window beside the name of the system ranging from 1.0 to 0.0) if you get the paint scratched of your ship by someone else, concord police will warp in and almost instapop your offender. (doesnt mean you wont die if he kills you before they kill him, completely possible but unless you have something very valuable in your cargo (wich i doubt since you are just starting) it wont happen

btw here are a few rules you NEED to follow in order to survive your gaming experience

1. you will die... alot.... im serious, we all die, ive lost hundreds of millions and have seen people loose trillions, it happens to the best of us. (P.S. in case you didnt know, if your ship explodes your ship is gone (along with almost everything in it, some pieces may survive) you need a new ship. 

2. dont fly what you cant afford to loose. if you just spent your life savings to buy a new ship... you probably should not be flying it because chances are 1 you are nto ready to use it and 2 you will loose it and have 0 money left (my rule is that i fly only what i can afford to replace. if it costs 100 million then i should have another 100million in my bank)

3 count your "0" 100.00 is not the same as 100000 isk (you might say pfft i wont fall for that... the contract title says 100000.00 for a gun and the price says 10000000 and you quickly glance and press buy, well you just payed 10 million for a gun worth 100k

4 count them again

5 everyone has faster targetting, have a faster ship, their guns hit harder and reach further than yours... 

those are my 5 golden rules

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Race is only a matter of flavor for the RPers. You can cross-train to any or all races ships/weapons as you feel like it.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

If you’re interested in PVP, you need to train the Amarr and Minmatar ships.

That being said, PVP is a team sport. To be a part of someone’s team, you are going to have to learn how to tackle. Then move on to assault frigs.

Also, a lot of really good PVPer’s have a second toon for scouting. Not really that important right now tho : )

The most important thing is simply flying with other players in combat situations. If you are doing that on a regular basis the rest will fall into place. Unfortunately, that's not as easiy as it sounds.

You really do need to find a place like EVE Uni or a Faction warfare corp, so you can learn the right things and meet people.

It's all about learning the right things and finding people to fly with.

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

3 count your "0" 100.00 is not the same as 100000 isk (you might say pfft i wont fall for that... the contract title says 100000.00 for a gun and the price says 10000000 and you quickly glance and press buy, well you just payed 10 million for a gun worth 100k

Can you explain this a little different please? I am not native english speaker so I could not fully understand this. Are you talking about the missions I get or items bought at some auction house?

Thanks for all the advices though. Anyone who can provide a link from say YouTube where the ships are shown. I will do the search too, but there are LOTS of videos from EvE there ;)

Originally posted by chrisel

Can you explain this a little different please? I am not native english speaker so I could not fully understand this. Are you talking about the missions I get or items bought at some auction house?

Thanks for all the advices though. Anyone who can provide a link from say YouTube where the ships are shown. I will do the search too, but there are LOTS of videos from EvE there ;)

He's referring to the marketplace in station, where it is very common to mis-list things such as a simple hauler that should sell for 900,000.00 ISK being listed for 888,888,888.00 instead.  Seems like it would be easy to avoid mistakenly purchasing the 2nd ship, but I managed to do this exact transaction one time when I was very tired, in a hurry and looking for a hauler out in some backwaters somewhere.

The good news is that in the Marketplace EVE always sells you the item for the lowest price, so as long as there's someone selling stuff at the normal price you will always get it for that, regardless which line item you click on.

The above market scam only happens when there's only one listing for the ship, and one will frequently find shuttles (which normally sell for 9,000.00 ISK listed for 8,888,888.00 instead.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

After searching abit I cam across a thread here; http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=659413

That thread showed there are at least some starting differences when you create a new character. Has that changed? If not, there could be wisely to choose a character setup that is better suited for my goal; I like blowing things up.

Originally posted by Kyleran

He's referring to the marketplace in station, where it is very common to mis-list things such as a simple hauler that should sell for 900,000.00 ISK being listed for 888,888,888.00 instead.  Seems like it would be easy to avoid mistakenly purchasing the 2nd ship, but I managed to do this exact transaction one time when I was very tired, in a hurry and looking for a hauler out in some backwaters somewhere.

The good news is that in the Marketplace EVE always sells you the item for the lowest price, so as long as there's someone selling stuff at the normal price you will always get it for that, regardless which line item you click on.

The above market scam only happens when there's only one listing for the ship, and one will frequently find shuttles (which normally sell for 9,000.00 ISK listed for 8,888,888.00 instead.

Ah, got it. Well aware of similiar situations from other MMO's with auction houses. I always double check the prices to avoid this. Will prolly happen to me too, but thanks for the warning.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by KyleranThe good news is that in the Marketplace EVE always sells you the item for the lowest price, so as long as there's someone selling stuff at the normal price you will always get it for that, regardless which line item you click on.

That applies only when there is an item stock at the station(system?). If there is no stock, you can fill any order you pick.

I just found out that I start with all abilites on 20. Which means race choice PURE a cosmetic choice. I thought I was to start with some nice torpedos as Caldari; but no. I am using some boring gatling guns. I take it, that is the same for all races?

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150

Amarr: Lasers mean no buying ammo constantly..decent pvp options

Minmatar: Projectile weapons Best at higher skill levels and can pvp well

Caldari: Missles Pvp support in my opinion

Gallente: Hybrid weapons and drone mastery Fair to decent pvp

My 2 isk

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

I just found out that I start with all abilites on 20. Which means race choice PURE a cosmetic choice. I thought I was to start with some nice torpedos as Caldari; but no. I am using some boring gatling guns. I take it, that is the same for all races?

Civillian guns are balls.

Caldari's first missle ship is the Kestrel a frigate. Second in Caracal, third is Drake, last is raven.

That's just base ships though, there are t2 ships based on missiles as well. Amarr has a few missile boats, even though 90% of their ships are laser. Minmatar use a bit of missiles, but I don't think they have a "Missile boat" like caldari and few amarr ships.

Edit- Honestly, the only thing that choosing a race for your char does now is RP and starting skills. If you start off as amarr, but want to fly caldari ships, you'll have to spend a day or so to start flying their ships, as well as support skills.

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150

When I was playing I tried to find a non-Caldari missle boat and they all suck...Minmatar had the closest to what I was looking for..Typhoon but that rusty thermos wa...ya know  8)

Originally posted by markh777

My 2 isk

I am positive I am Caldari, but I am using gatling guns (projectile?)

What is wrong here? Where do I find the Missilies?

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by markh777

My 2 isk

I am positive I am Caldari, but I am using gatling guns (projectile?)

What is wrong here? Where do I find the Missilies?

Ships are like tools. One way to tell if you are using a hammer or a wrench is by looking at the ship bonus. Another is by using the fitting screen.

The first Caldari missile boat is the kestrel. It has several hard points exclusively for missiles and bonuses for them too. Before you can fly it with missiles, you will need to have quite a few skills trained, but not more than a day or two I would think. Of course you also have to buy all the stuff on the market.

Another thing to keep in mind, as it relates to NPC pirates, is what damage the pirates are weak too, and what type they are dealing. You want to tank what they are dealing and fire what they are weak too. This is actually one of the strengths of Caldari, different missiles deal different damage types.

Okay, more information into my brain :)

Thanks, I keep on working, even though it goes very slow. I am running missions for some agents, but they want me to do lots of courier and mining stuff, which I have no interest in. I want to blow things up.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Thanks, I keep on working, even though it goes very slow. I am running missions for some agents, but they want me to do lots of courier and mining stuff, which I have no interest in. I want to blow things up.

Then look for agents that do Security, or whatever it's called now. Unless there are noobie agents that give general all around to try and show you stuff, you sholdn't be mining or transporting for a security agent anymore.

Also, one of the best places for mission running - http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

Has step by step what happens, what npc do what (jam/web/triggers for other spawns, etc.), how to best equip yourself (what to tank and what to deal), and "Blitz" runs, which are made for people trying to get as much rep/loyalty points as fast as possible. Some guides even have videos of people doing the mission.

I know you're very interested in getting into the PVP fun quickly, and while it doesn't work quite as intended I think there's still some folks participating in the Faction Wars on a regular basis.

I know that new players can get into this very quickly and within a short time you could log your first kills.  Even better, most folks fight in T1 ships which are very accessible to new players.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Factional_Warfare#Combat_Zones

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I've been playing Eve since it started (over 6 years) and I can honestly say it doesn't matter at all. 

What matters most is that you are comfortable with your character's name and how they look. This is because your character becomes a 'second you' and you will live with your character's name and appearance for years.

Also, during your time in Eve you will probably try all sorts of professions. For example, after a long day at work you might not want the effort of PvP, so you might want to dabble a less taxing pass-time, such as PvE.

Also, if you have played Eve for a few years, you will max out on all your PvP skills like me.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Pick Achura they have very high perc and will.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by Datcyde

Pick Achura they have very high perc and will.

Everyone starts with the same stats now. Pick your character according to what you like the look of.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• OldBikerOldBiker Member Posts: 75

My $0.02...

Race doesn't matter anymore.  Pick a race for RP or looks.

If you want to get into PvP right away you need to train Propulsion Jamming.  You can get the skill book for from from the advanced military carreer missions (or just buy it).  It is possible to PvP effectively with just 1-2 weeks of training if you choose your targets carefully.  Although that type of PvP is mostly can-flipping and ganking noobs which isn't very respectable. :)

I would recommend that you spend some time cross training into the different races frigates to get a feel for each race's ships.  Every race tends to have a theme for thier ships and there really is no right or wrong path.  Major alliances tend to favor types of fleets that may only be achievable with ships from 1-2 of the four races.  This changes from time to time though so I wouldn't worry too much about that now.

Experiment early and pick a path.  Don't be afraid to abandon a path if you find you aren't liking it.

Oh.  One more thing.  Get EveMon!  It makes planning your path way easier.