Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Commando vs Vanguard

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest column devoted to Star Wars: The Old Republic, MMORPG.com Community Manager Mike Bitton utters those iconic boxing words: "Let's get ready to RUUUUUMBLE!" In the red corner, we find the Commando. In the blue corner, the Vanguard. Check out Mike's thoughts about the two classes and then let us know what you think.

The Trooper was the first class to be unveiled for Star Wars: The Old Republic and it’s interesting to see how far things have come in the scant few years since BioWare announced the title. The armor progression between the Vanguard and Commando Advanced Classes isn’t as drastic as the Marauder/Juggernaut and Sith Sorcerer/Assassin, however, the style of play seems drastically different.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic Commando vs Vanguard.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

It was awesome and I'm going Commando.  I LIKED the repeating Cannon so much I was practically giggling everytime it showed him firing it.  I've been saying since day 1 that I heard about the classes that Trooper would be my first class choice to enter the SWTOR universe.  Yeah, I like Jedi and Bounty Hunters, but being an Airforce Vet I tend to lean more towards my comrades in arms, even in sci-fantasy fictional universes.  So Trooper for me is an obvious choice.  Now to decide which Sith class to pick whenever I decide to try the opposite side of the galaxy.  Hmmm... I want to see an Imperial Agent progression video.

• William Wallace said it best in the combat video.  The first time I saw a trooper come in and mop the floor with a group of guys i didn't want to be a jedi anymore.  personally i will probably make 2 troopers, one of each AC, because I like the male models for the troopers better than the female ones but i want to do a play through with jennifer hale's voice.  First play through will be with a commando.

• MerkethyMerkethy Member UncommonPosts: 23

really thorn atm. it all depends on if you will be able to change AC or not for launch.

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

I will go Vanguard! I just can't wait!

• MillbargeMillbarge Member Posts: 46

Vanguard looks very cool.  Can't wait to play it.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

• ahrens99ahrens99 Member Posts: 30

If this game is remotely decent, I will have both Trooper AC's. Been looking foward to a new sci-fi MMO and Star Wars/Bioware is a lock for me IMO.

• ahrens99ahrens99 Member Posts: 30

Just curious if they both will have a seperate story line or one for both classes. I haven't noticed any info on that type yet.

• Originally posted by ahrens99

Just curious if they both will have a seperate story line or one for both classes. I haven't noticed any info on that type yet.

Advanced classes share storylines.  the reason for this is that Bioware wanted to make more classes but couldn't afford to make individual storylines for all the classes they wanted.  so they merged them down into 8 classes and feel that the Advanced classes are more akin to what seperate classes in other games would be

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by ahrens99

I'm not sure if the advanced classes have separate storylines within the trooper class, however, we do know that you can change your reactions during it so you can choose to be good or bad and that might affect the result of the story flow.  So, you can make it a separate storyline on your own.  I'm just guessing though.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Yeah good question. If their story lines are different then I'll probably play both.  Vanguard will be my main, no questions about it!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Yeah good question. If their story lines are different then I'll probably play both.  Vanguard will be my main, no questions about it!

From what we're to understand, there will not be drastically different stories for advanced classes.  You may see some minor differences in the way characters address you,  but its likely the major focus here is on your choices and not your advanced class.

You can still go two completely different ways if you choose to, as you will find abilities for Good commandos that you won't find for Evil commandos,  and likewise for vanguards.. etc.  So you may start with a good character and go commando, but see a really awesome evil ability for Vanguard and decide to reroll and go down a completely different path.. both of which will likely take you in completely different directions story-wise.

• Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

while the overarching storyline for the class won't be different between the advanced classes, you can atleast make it somewhat different by following a different morality path to see how it changes things. maybe find out how someone may have helped you down the line if you hadn't killed him or find out the long term conquesences of killing that guy you let live the first time

• TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48

I'm leaning more towards Vanguard. I liked the armor in the video, and the overall style just seems to fit me more.

• MerkethyMerkethy Member UncommonPosts: 23

Most (of not all) of the gear does require various levels of Light and Dark (ie Light 1-4) so going light or dark on each AC makes it atleast somewhat replayable.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well they should have branch out the advance class for troopers eg. Engineer, Scout and Sniper, More people would play trooper then lol.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• nratnamnratnam Member UncommonPosts: 186

Sith assassin via inquistor for me. Don't think i can live without a lightsaber in a SW game.

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by xmenty

Well they should have branch out the advance class for troopers eg. Engineer, Scout and Sniper, More people would play trooper then lol.

Pfft, why play any other Republic class at all then?  Besides, the IA Sniper gets an Engineering tree according to PC Gamer US (which I suppose makes sense as it would cover little trinkets for keeping the target at a distance) so maybe the Smuggler gets a Splicer/Tinker tree somewhere.

That being said, I would certainly have liked to see less Force-sensitive options in The Old Republic.  The abundance of non-Jedi was always something I liked about Galaxies, something that would have likely roped me into it had SoE not gone and ruined it.  Granted some things like the Dancer were silly but most weren't.

Anyway, I might roll Trooper as an alt if I play the game.  Not sure which advanced class I'd be though

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

Vanguard all the way. Gonna stomp on Sith all day erryday

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

i like the look of the class.

still animations could use some work

also it looks very strange to see troopers just standing there in the middle of a fire fight when theres cover nearby.

the devs should watch the clone wars to see how troopers use tactics such as taking cover to their advantage. thats one of the really big advantages clone troopers have over the unthinking battle droids.

the ones using the big guns are excused of course.

• rathalas22rathalas22 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I have been wanting to play the Trooper Vanguard from the moment I read about them, the video just sealed the deal. I like the soldier aspect of the class, there was a moment I thought about being a command healer since that is what I do, but I like the playstyle of the Vanguard and I like to tank

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Anyone else think the Commando should be the Tank and the Vanguard the healer?

Would make more sense to me...

I mean, if you talk about threat/aggro, from a visual standpoint the Commander just standing out in the open with a huge frigg'n chain gun to me scream TANK a lot more then it does healer.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

I happen to be very interested in both progression lines. The only problem I have is with the name "Commando" as I just have seen nothing that looks anything like a so-called commando in mission types or abilities. Even the lugging around of the huge "mini-cannon" dose not seem to fit my perception of what a trooper that is titled "Commando" should be doing. I guess that is just me.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Originally posted by heerobya

Anyone else think the Commando should be the Tank and the Vanguard the healer?

Would make more sense to me...

I mean, if you talk about threat/aggro, from a visual standpoint the Commander just standing out in the open with a huge frigg'n chain gun to me scream TANK a lot more then it does healer.

well the weapons for the ACs were chosen when commando was still DPS only.  So i think in the sense of being the massive damage dealer, the minigun would make sense.  but i agree that looks weird for a healer

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Watching the Video , I thought of the game Vanguard and immediately drew the comparison between a Paladin and Dread Knight. Looks like two variations of a tanking class.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

I could not get into commando in SWG, think it ruined me for commando in this game as well. Leaning to Smuggler and Bounty Hunter myself