Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW launching new Epic Mount at Blizzard Store.

13»

Comments

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by Treekodar

They're selling an OPTIONAL new VANITY mount for real money? Activision is to be blamed, greed, WoW hate, Oblivion is better etc etc. Seriously, how the heck does a vanity mount hurt the game?

They could add anything to the cash shop except raid/rated pvp loot. And people could still claim its no problem. When the real game starts at max level and is about raids and rated pvp that would make alot of sense. Seling other(lesser) items just helps you save time and level up alts. Some would even think it helps the game since more people will be able to join the end game. And people that are somewhat burnt out can level up new alts faster.

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Hurvart

They're selling an OPTIONAL new VANITY mount for real money? Activision is to be blamed, greed, WoW hate, Oblivion is better etc etc. Seriously, how the heck does a vanity mount hurt the game?

They could add anything to the cash shop except raid/rated pvp loot. And people could still claim its no problem. When the real game starts at max level and is about raids and rated pvp that would make alot of sense. Seling other(lesser) items just helps you save time and level up alts. Some would even think it helps the game since more people will be able to join the end game. And people that are somewhat burnt out can level up new alts faster.

True, they could do that but equipment wouldn't be vanity.

Eleanor Rigby.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Subscription and Real money Transactions.

Greedy Barstewards.

• BribarianIBribarianI Member Posts: 120

Yep another cashgrab by the notorious bait and switchers at activionblizz

Vanity or not, lot of players do in fact collect these things as part of the game.  In-game items for cash are no good when you're on a sub.

I'll probably pass on their next games thanks to all the lols they've had in WoW.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

There is nothing "wrong" with selling the mount in the cash shop.

Just as there is nothing wrong with an ever growing pissed off playerbase that is tired of paying 15$ a month for World of Walmart.

People are wising up that Acticrap would charge you to ressurect each time if they could figure out a way to word it right.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Very greedy company with no credibility at all  .

I'd say over 11 million subscribers is pretty credible. I'd say their return on investment is incredible. I'd say the credibility of their quarterly reports is pretty high.

I love these people that talk about credibility.    Blizzard introduces an item and a crapload of people buy it.  The item gives no advantage ingame.  Back when the star-pony was introduced, it had a small advantage because it scaled with your riding skill.  Blizzard has since added that ability to ALL mounts, so no there is NO advantage whatsoever to these mounts.

And yet I still have been seeing dozens of them on my server within the first couple days, and comments in trade about people wenting to buy them.   Why is this greedy or making a company losing credibility..they are providing a product that obviously a lot of people are willing to pay money for.  I think a lot of other companies have done far worse in MMORPGs by selling items that actually give advantages to players.. like AOC etc.

I think when you start using a cash-shop on top of a subscription fee to give an advantage to players.. it is one thing.... but Blizzard has not taken that step yet.  And in fact, with the star-pony, actually went back and fixed the game so that the minor advanatage the pony did give us given to all players for free.

And I can´t stress again how popular these items.  The star-ponys are everywhere.  Obviously there is a big demand for them that Blizzard would be crazy to not fill.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Hurvart

But they haven´t yet.  You are convicting them for a ´crime´ you think they may commit in the future.  So far, they have introduced less than a dozen vanity pets and two vanity mounts.  None of these items give any type of advantage in game.

Why are you NOT on the AOC forums complaining.. They have a subscription fee AND you can buy items that boost exp and other ingame advantages.  They HAVE already crossed-over and committed the crime of letting you pay2win within a subscription game.

I think Blizzard is very happy and content with the model they have now.  They sold a ton of those star-ponys and heard no backlash from players because of it.  Same as the new mount.  You don´t see any posts on the player forums complaining about it, only on this site from people that just hate Blizzard for being successful.

So honestly, answer..  why are you here complaining about what Blizzard might do in the future, and not on AOCs forums complaining about a company that is ALREADY actually doing it.  The answer.. because this is about jealousy of WOW´s success, and not actually about the new mount.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

cha-ching ! one of the content teams at blizzard just got a nice raise & some extra stock options.....

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by monstermmo
    Honestly with the way things are going and all these subscription based games keep pushing micro-transactions i just might go back to sticking to single player games.
    You mean the single player games that sell you unlock keys for content that is on the disc for $10?
  • i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Businesses are greedy, in a perfect world games would be made more for the players and less for profits and blah blah blah, I'm so tired of these conversations, as if every MMO player was really this naive to think otherwise.

WoW is using F2P style micro-transactions to make profits, no way I find this hard to believe since it's never happened before. Oh thats right it has and it worked so well that it was estimated to nearly double Blizzards average profits but the good news is that theres absolutely no way Blizzard would continue to use a system that makes them more money, that would just be a dumb business decision on their part.

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

WoW will be the last Blizzard game I purchase.  Or should I say "activision"? 

Bobby hewbretick is intent on smashing gaming into the ground by nickel and diming every part of it.

I bet Titan is gonna be a massive cashgrab.

Originally posted by Elidien

Optional mount, you can get 50+ in game that are similar (same speed, stats, etc..) so nobody is forcing anyone to purchase it. People are doing so willingly and with their own money. Many people are not either but it is up to the consumer to determine how to spend their money. And trust me, enough consumers want to buy it or Blizzard would be offering it for purchase.

The probelm with this logic is the "optional mount" could have been placed into the game with a patch for everybody to get a shot at it.

So now that Blizzard sees they can takes pieces of loot/mounts/pets and sell them, well GG for the future

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Personally, I think buying a mount is a waste of money.  When in Org, I really dont even look at everyones mounts.  I got a bronze drake from a drop, bought the highest flying speed (310%) and I am perfectly fine with it.

I can get somewhere just as fast as someone who threw away money for their mount.

Originally posted by BribarianI

Optional mount, you can get 50+ in game that are similar (same speed, stats, etc..) so nobody is forcing anyone to purchase it. People are doing so willingly and with their own money. Many people are not either but it is up to the consumer to determine how to spend their money. And trust me, enough consumers want to buy it or Blizzard would be offering it for purchase.

The probelm with this logic is the "optional mount" could have been placed into the game with a patch for everybody to get a shot at it.

So now that Blizzard sees they can takes pieces of loot/mounts/pets and sell them, well GG for the future

They can sell it if they want and don't purchase it if you don't want too or think its wrong. The goal of any business is to maximize your profit for your shareholders. Most players who want it will pay for it and that is its target audience. I have over 80 mounts and 100 vanity pets and I have only ever bought the Pandaren monk from the store (and that was back when half the proceeds went to the WWF).

People have the OPTION to buy it and its not like a similar mount is not available in game. As a matter of fact I still sue the two craftable engineer mounts even with all the ones I have. I think this mount is obnoxious and ugly so I choose not to buy it. And I will not criticize those who choose to do so....its all about players choice.

And I do not bother with slippery-slope arguments (i.e....they sell mounts now and it will soon be loot/gear/etc...) because its not worth debating because it has not happened yet. Once it does, I will debate it along with a cancelled WOW sub.

I most certainly laugh at those who buy the mount.  But not because they exercised their ability of purchase.  More because they don't have a clue of the future they're setting up for these games.  Some probably don't care, but you can bet with Activision and Kotick in charge, Project Titan will be all about cashgrabs.

Sad thing about slippery slope is sometimes it comes true, especially in the case of WoW.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

When people buy items like this, it shouldn't be a problem.  But, you have to look at how it actually impacts the game. 

People buy the mount.  Blizzard looks at the development cost versus the return on the item.  They try it again.  People buy them and the profit to development ratio is still high.  Do you honestly think Blizzard will hire extra people to work on just items like this?  No.  They will have existing people work on this when they could be working on other content, bugs, whatever.  The more money they get from this, the more they will put into it.  Do you really think Blizzard has people that sit around and wait to be given things to work on?  Do you think they just pull this development out of thin air?  And in my opinion, they need all the help they can on existing problems in the game and testing of changes on the PTR.  They have the money to hire a ton of people to help out in the game.  But, they will not.  They are hiring for new and other projects.  More money.  As long as people are paying, that means they are automagically doing good enough to them.  Why invest more when they can get by on what they have?

• BuggyswiresBuggyswires Member UncommonPosts: 4

It's easy cash for Blizzard/Activision:

As long as the playbase actually BUYS those vanity items in addition to a monthly sub, ActBlizz will continue to sell stuff via the shop.

They are just adding to the item-treadmill they created in the first place.

So don't blame the company for offering those items - blame the players who buy them and keep pushing this business model.