Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Five Reasons to Watch The Secret World

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As The Secret Word becomes less and less secret and with E3 right around the corner, there's a lot to look forward to and a lot to get hyped up about. In The List this week, MMORPG.com Lead Writer Bill Murphy gets that thrill running up and down his leg as he anticipates Funcom's The Secret World. Check out Bill's thoughts and then add a few of your own.

Like a lot of folks, I’m finding it very difficult to not get amped up for Funcom’s The Secret World. While I know the company has had its fair share of rough patches, there’s no denying that each of their games has brought something unique to the table. Anarchy Online is aging, but one of the finest Sci-Fi MMOs in memory. Age of Conan had a rocky launch that it never recovered from, but its fans will gladly tell you there’s plenty to love in the representation of Howard’s world. Then there’s the offline stuff, with The Longest Journey and Dreamfall being prime examples of adventure gaming done right. If you put all those things together you can see why some might argue that Funcom has always been just a step or two away from greatness. So with E3 and videogame show season fast approaching let’s take a look at just a handful of reasons MMO gamers should keep an eye on The Secret World.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: Five Reasons to Watch The Secret World.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

my No.1 reason: urban, not medieval fantasy

but then, its funcom and we know their marketing machine is stronger than anything they could ever deliver.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

spell casting animations; i think the black magic is going to be fun; is there combat fatalities by any chance?

• KatbirdKatbird Member UncommonPosts: 21

I liked the three factions in MXO but it didn't matter to the game.  I loved the puzzles in URU online but it didn't make it out of beta.  Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this game!

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I gots my eyes wide open on TSW but my wallet is still closed...hehehehehe

Playing GW2..

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I will be playing TOR but will also get TSW as it seems VERY interesting. The genre alone will make it worth a shot. As long as it is not an FPS/Dcuo style game mechanic nor open PvP everywhere then I am really looking forward to it. Yes I like to Solo and group and yes I like the more standard movement and combat systems (twitch?) and no I don't PvP (well, mabey some if I find a guild or faction that does not require instant max characters in order to play. Learning by getting my char killed a lot is less than fun to me. Is it really so bad to admit I am a PvP newbie who doesn't care to be just cannon fodder for 'experts?'

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I've been watching any news I see about the game simply because of the design choice.

Its great to see any company decide to bypass the standard class/level design.   There was a quote a good while back that they see TSW more as a "second game".   Something that someone will play along with another game... To me indicates that perhaps they are going for a smaller but stable player base.   All good things.. potentially.    The entire "let's copy this" and decide we'll have 1.5 million subscribers thing... is the heart of the current MMO market.... maybe I should just call it green gaming since its based entirely on recycling.

I played Anarchy Online (beta/launch) and Age of Conan.   Oddly I don't have bad feelings towards Funcom.   Perhaps because they never totally redesigned a game on me (like SOE) and stuck with their ideas even if it meant failing.

Of the five reasons listed, the "three faction" design has absolutely no influence on my interest.  If I had a knee jerk reaction it would be totally negative.   I always get a bit twitchy when people mention daoc and the 3 realms.   Simply because it seems they didn't stick around long enough to see what that actually turned into.   There is no possible way anyone was playing DAoC in 2009 and could think 3 realms was a good idea.   The only thing the third realm was ever used for was to entirely kill whatever siege was going on and result in many boring nights.... or a lot of time spent in battle grounds where it wasn't much of a factor. 

I should add to that bit.. this only affected siege RvR.   Altho siege RvR was really the only unique thing about DAoC once upon a time.   8 Man roaming was never really affected by this... but then you were basicly playing a team pvp game... aka Team Fortress etc... and not DAoC.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Say what you want about Funcom, but aside from CCP, they're the only AAA developer at least TRYING to bring some originality to the genre and to create games that are trully MMO.

I'll take an interesting game with a questionable launch and bugs over a flawless snoozefest.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• YsharrosYsharros Member Posts: 87

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm not hyped or anything.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

3 factions but is there incentive PvP with things like territory control for bonuses and added content?  Politics?  Haven't heard anything about anything like that.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Classless system is the most interesting here I think. Make what i want, how I want and play it the way I want. I like that.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

1. Classless skills (potentially)

2. 3 Factions.

3. No levels/anti-grind/anti emphasis on endgame carrot.

4. Then a fresh lore/IP for mmorpgs.

5. Finally story oriented pve

Needs some more serious information to go with the nice pictures & words however. <.<

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Originally posted by Ysharros

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm not hyped or anything.

/agree

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

There are plenty of orcs and elves but ANYTHING else is welcome. Remember your own column on "The top 10 non-fantasy mmo's"? The genre could use a break all around.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5230/Top-10-NonFantasy-MMOs.html

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I concur with Bill on this, TSW seems to be one of the few interesting titles on the horizon, and I'm willing to forgive Funcom for AOC if they decide to stay the course.(and release this one fairly well polished of course)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I like the concept and story very hyped for the game. The only thing I'm not sure about so far is allowing members from all factions to pve with each other.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• melenkomelenko Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by mrw0lf

I like the concept and story very hyped for the game. The only thing I'm not sure about so far is allowing members from all factions to pve with each other.

How is that entirely bad? So far it's making me think you might have to work along with a group that may turn on you later, or you may have friends that play a different faction.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by melenko

Originally posted by mrw0lf

How is that entirely bad? So far it's making me think you might have to work along with a group that may turn on you later, or you may have friends that play a different faction.

I didn't say it's entirely bad, just that I was unsure. For me I guess it will all depend on the extent to which pvp is a factor in the game overall. PUG's are bad enough without grouping with people whose face you smeared 10 mins earlier, but like I said it will depend.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Aki_RossAki_Ross Member Posts: 166

It was both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall:The Longest Journey that got me into following Funcom and of course Ragnar Tørnquist's work. I also agree that both games are very underrated. Age of Conan is also a good game, but it's still lacking in some areas. I hope it will improve with time.

The Secret world looks like it's going to be amazing, even if it is half of the game they have showed us. But it's got to be said, I'm really wishing for TSW to be complete really soon. Because it might mean that Funcom finally begins work on Longest Journey 2 and Dreamfall: Chapters, both of which are well over due for the story to be continued. I have Faith that one day they will continue, despite the undreaming. image

• LobragdirLobragdir Member Posts: 3

Does someone knows if they are going to put some sandbox elements, or it will be like AoC but in urban environment?

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

The game reaks of uncanny valley. I'm not touching this one with a 10 mile pole.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Don't know if I will bother getting the game on launch day.  Still though, hoping it succeeds, since it does seem to actually be different than the standard mmo forumla(or as others call it WoW clone).

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I agree with you on all five reasons. I've been watching this game since it was first announced. I do like the modern setting and can't wait to start off in New York as a Illuminati. 

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

This game looks different. Let's hope it really is different than the standard MMO fare. I am more than willing to fork over $$ to those who take risks in this genre. I wasn't terribly impressed with Conan but I will definitely give TSW a try.

• Shadows59Shadows59 Member Posts: 47

I am defintely psyched for this game. Mostly because it is a different setting (alternative modern day) and the classless system. Of course since I have a life outside off gaming I tend to enjoy games longer and don't burnout on them. I just really want something different than orc/stars after 10 years.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I will keep an eye on TSW while continually reminding myself it is Funcom and no matter what there will be no purchase before a minimum of 6 months has passed after release.