Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: Perfect World Snaps Up Cryptic Studios

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Originally posted by Zandora2018

Originally posted by Dragonantis

I see this as a good outcome, they could have been bought by worse, Perfect World have a great rep from providing great games and keeping them updated and fun.

Good times ahead for STO and CO XD

I see this as a hit or miss. I play CO and have a ton of fun. But PWI has a P2W cash shop in almost all their games and if they do that do STO or CO then it will kill it for a ton of ppl. And then their is the whole engine thing. Most PWI games seem outdated in terms of over all graphics and art style. All i can hope is that they keep the updates going and do not make a cash shop P2W

Well they are still Cryptic, its just someone else owning them, its the same people that created and updated the games, but now they have Perfect World in their corner instead of Atari, i see it as better because Perfect World is soley committed to MMO and RPG games were as Atari is not, so we should see in the weeks to come a great improvement in the games development.

• Maki2Maki2 Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by Kothoses

Originally posted by Maki2

Do PWE's games have pay 2 win cash shops? (Hope they don't.)

I never played one before, so just wondering.

I have only tried Forsaken world so I cant speak for their other games, but the cash shop in FW was not pay to win, it was pay for time basically.  You could grind / play your way to most things but they would be in a dilluted form or time limted, except for gear, which you gained nearly exclusively ingame.

Things like mounts, xp, appearances etc in the cash shop.  Though even then you could get a mount in game too it just took a while.  They have progressively gotten better and better from what I have seen and read, certainly I would place Forsaken world at the same level as Lotro (just with a more anime feel).

All in all Cryptic have done well here, and PWI have gotten 2 very strong and 1 mediocre IP (Neverwinter and Star Trek are names that guarantee sales).

I see. Then I guess I shouldn't be worried if STO goes F2P. Hopefully.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Oh yeah, most definitely so.  You really can't pvp unless you are the ultimate grinder or purchase heavily in the item shop.

And sorry to the person above, but Forsaken World is the exact same way because they have weapon enchancers in the cash shop in that game too.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

If they turn STO into a F2P game, I will be done with it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44

And many others will take your place as soon you rage quit .

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

{Resistance is futile}

Well except for the new owners being honest that they make cash shop games, I doubt the players of either CO of STO will notice much of a change, at least for the worse.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Oh yeah, most definitely so.  You really can't pvp unless you are the ultimate grinder or purchase heavily in the item shop.

And sorry to the person above, but Forsaken World is the exact same way because they have weapon enchancers in the cash shop in that game too.

You can buy cash shop currency with in game money other than that, there is in game quests and events where you get materials for enchancer, EVERYTHING except few pets and fashion pixel crack, can be got in game, they basically just sell time in cash shop.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Tardcore

{Resistance is futile}

Well except for the new owners being honest that they make cash shop games, I doubt the players of either CO of STO will notice much of a change, at least for the worse.

PWE is maybe best company from cash shop field, they could of been bought by Nexxon or Aeria, basically access to the world and character creation is free in their games, everything else costs.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Every PWE cash shop game I've ever seen is Pay to win. Ethyr Saga, PW International, Forgotten Worlds... they all have the typical fashion items, but they also have lottery items that give you overpowered-as-hell pets, the cash shops usually have Cash Shop Only items to change things like Birthday, Zodiac Sign, etc that completely dictate what kind of skills you get in their games. They also contain the most damning feature, guarnteed (or increased chance) weapon upgrades. WITHOUT THESE YOU CAN NOT COMPETE. The end. PWE is a terrible, TERRIBLE company that feeds off of Cash Shoppers like you wouldn't believe.

This, of course, on top of the fact that it takes ages and ages and AGES AND AGES to reach their level cap without dishing out real money. Stay away from their games if you like your wallet, folks.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

You can buy cash shop currency from other players with in game gold in every PWE game I have played so depending on how hard you want to grind you can access the cash shop items w/o spending money.

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

I called it!  I said Perfect World would be a good fit for Cryptic.  I guess they thought so too. :)  I think Star Trek Online will become F2P soon.  Perfect World doesn't have any P2P games.

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

This is great news in my opinion.  I feel that PWE will do a great job supporting Cryptic Studios with STO, CO and any future projects they might do.  Kudos for PWE picking up Cryptic.

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

If they turn STO into a pay to win cash shop, where the average person can't compete with someone that has access to mommy and daddy's credit card, this will kill what little community is left. This in no way makes any game fun.

• lfskydenlfskyden Member UncommonPosts: 10

if they make the Cryptic MMOs F2P, without tiered systems, Im 100% for it. if they make it P2W, then Im 300% against it

• HeliosXIIHeliosXII Member Posts: 72

Oh, god....

I hope this doesn't ruin the games. I don't like any of PW's games.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by EricDanie

Here comes the aggressive cash shops to CO and STO.

They've been there from the start. Remember how CO was originally going to charge for Vibora Bay (sp?), until the players had a fit. How about STO's Enterprise X incident? cash shops have been integral to both games since they launched.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by ironraptor

Hasbro can't just shift the licence to Cryptic. Atari paid for the lience and still holds it untill they give it up, expires or the court forces them to return it. That is why Hasbro and Atari have been in court for a year and a half.

NWN is not a MMO but a co-op game, this is why the game is not listed on mmorpg.com. Cryptic and Atari both were careful with thier words in intervies and press releses on the type of game NW is going be or risk another lawsuit.

Just a quick clarification, but Hasbro and Atari really haven't started the actual court part of the proceedings yet; according to Atari's latest news they are both still in the settlement mediation phase, with the first round of settlement offers having been unsuccessful.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

haha love it.. one of the crappiest thing to happen in a long time.. finally some one will have to redevelop a new startrek mmo.. pwi devs are bound to screw it up beyond all recognition.

however if they manage to fix it and turn it into an mmo i will be very surprised.

im so glad a more reputable company didnt take cryptics trash out.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

sto has been robbing its players blind from day one..

its the mother of all crap games and they make you first buy the game, then they make you pay a monthly subscription and then they make you buy the rest of the games cool stuff from the c-store..  i will be glad to see them completely tear that game to peices and refrge it into something else.

as it stands its a far cry from a startrek mmo.. just because it has the label !!! it doesnt make it so ;)

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Well doesn't Atari still technically own STO and Champions Online? like under its control, not PWE, so isn't it up to Atari if STO wil; turn f2p?

As for the news, if perfect world gives Crpytic some space, like with Runic games,  to create a finished mmorpg, they might actually back to COH goodness.....not that good, but better than before :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Well doesn't Atari still technically own STO and Champions Online? like under its control, not PWE, so isn't it up to Atari if STO wil; turn f2p?

As for the news, if perfect world gives Crpytic some space, like with Runic games,  to create a finished mmorpg, they might actually back to COH goodness.....not that good, but better than before :P

Nope.

Atari never owned STO franchise. The licensing deal is DIRECTLY between CBS and Cryptic.

Atari does not own Champions franchise. Cryptic bought the license long time ago.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by HeliosXII

Oh, god....

I hope this doesn't ruin the games. I don't like any of PW's games.

How is it possible to ruin something like STO and CO ? They are both awfull MMOs... but maybe Atari is the reason why Cryptic wen  to crap and PW will let them do a better job. We can only hope.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Autopilot features so you don't even have to play, just click and there you go, Stand still and gain experience and buy some items from the online shop with federationcreditdiamonds and PWI will love you long time. $10 they love you long time. Engage.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by kishe

Originally posted by Ozmodan

You can buy cash shop currency with in game money other than that, there is in game quests and events where you get materials for enchancer, EVERYTHING except few pets and fashion pixel crack, can be got in game, they basically just sell time in cash shop.

Like I said you can do the heavy grind and buy the stuff in game or just buy through the cash shop, still does not change the pay to win format consistent in all their games.  If you pvp you will NOT like Perfect World games unless you have cash to spend.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by rojo6934

"More importantly, Cryptic Studios' highly reputable development team and its technology platform will further strengthen our well-established R&D capabilities. We deem this as another noteworthy achievement of our global expansion efforts."

I can only hope that with this aquisition PWE will start making future games with even better graphics (at least like STO).

Plus now i have even higher hopes that CO will remove the limitations and make the full game completely free to play with PWE typical cash shop. And probably the same goes for STO?  i really hopse so...

Way to go PWE ;)

What? Those gfx were horrible!