Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Responding to a Call of Duty Subscription Fee

2»

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Didn't like Black Ops at all and was looking forward to renting this one before buying it. If this decision goes through I will save my money and hope like hell others don't give this greedy ass company their money either. The fact that they sell their map packs for a rediculouse price as is has always pissed me off a lil. I buy them cause I play with friends. But to add a monthly sub is playing the greed card a lil strong.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Despite rages from forums almost everywhere, we'll see who will actually end up biting on this. If MW3 still end up racking millions of dollars and subscription that rivals MMOs, then we can't say Actvision is stupid for making this move. Just proves that too many people can afford spending money on such things.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Tardcore

I can see one good thing to come from decisons like this, it will stop me from wasting money and time buying and playing video games at all.

No kidding. If things continue as they have been, I'll be taking a long break or cease playing video games altogether. My guess though: people will lap this up and never look back.

Modern gamers are a gaming studio's dream come true. They seem to be content with whatever payment plan is put into place (regardless if they get less for more), and holy hell are they obedient little consumers.

Shit, if it was 1985, everyone would be drinking New Coke and raving about how awesome it is.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by KhinRunite

Despite rages from forums almost everywhere, we'll see who will actually end up biting on this. If MW3 still end up racking millions of dollars and subscription that rivals MMOs, then we can't say Actvision is stupid for making this move. Just proves that too many people can afford spending money on such things.

If things like this become the norm for games of any type, I'll be going back to my Nintendo and Super Nintendo.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

That is.....really ridiculous and disappointing.  I did not bother with Black Ops, sticking with MW2, and now I am definitely not going to bother with MW3.  There is no one I personally know that plays FPS games that will pay for a subsciption for full access to multiplayer for MW3.

Supposedly they will not charge 15 bucks, but for maybe 8 bucks, this is what we will get:

• Map packs - The service will provide access to new maps that will not otherwise be available.

• Facebook integration - The article wasn’t specific about how this would work, but what doesn’t integrate with Facebook these days?

• Performance analyzing tools - Essentially, metrics. From what I can tell, it’s basically what Steam already gives players of Valve games for free.

Wow, seems totally worth it.  Stuff I already get for free, well, besides the maps which are usually a one time fee.

I really hope the Call of Duty franchise goes down in flames this year.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by SunwolfNC

Well if that happens, that'll guarantee a 'No Sale' for me.

I've been a diehard MW-franchise fanboy...until I tasted the sweet, sweet goodness of BFBC2 on my new XPS machine. I've not yet bought Black Op, or the DLC and I'm waiting, painfully, patiently, waiting, for Battlefield 3. MW was EA's last title I spent money on... I guess they want to make it easier for me to sever the ties :)

Think you got confused in there somewhere.

EA = Battlfield Series (free map packs FTW !) & Medal of Honor Series

Activision = CoD Series

Also I dont think there is any "If" about it since they are calling for Beta testers to test the service right here: http://www.callofduty.com/elite

So its not a rumour, if they are beta testing the service then it has been planned for a while now.

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

I have bought all of the COD games.

Now that ends. I dont care how good this game may be, Im not paying a sub for a FPS on a console.

Sorry guys, You just lost a die hard customer.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Yeah I sure did - I meant to type Blizz-a-vision, but spaced out and flipped my vendors.

I couldnt' find a way to edit the post by the time it dawned on me :)

• KrilsterKrilster Member Posts: 230

Why would anyone even consider buying another Call of Duty game when Battlefield 3 comes out by the end of the year? lol

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Cola

I have bought all of the COD games.

Now that ends. I dont care how good this game may be, Im not paying a sub for a FPS on a console.

Sorry guys, You just lost a die hard customer.

sad part is someone else will take your spot and pay money for a crappy service, like everyone has said, FPs with a sub is dumb and i hope it dies a good death.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Oh well, one less game to waste my money on.  I should thank blizzvision for saving me the $60. 

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Why are people acting like this is a big deal. Halo did this already. They aren't charging to play the game online, they are charging for facebook connectivity, online video sharing, and more space for screens and such. It's not like an MMO forcing you to pay monthly to actually play the game, it's charging for bonus things that only the most hardcore of players need (video sharing?)

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

No offense to CoD players, but this is the perfect franchise to test out this pay for almost nothing fee sceheme. If CoD players won't do it, no one else will either.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

If this is true then I won't buy COD:MW3. I'll play Battlefield 3 and be happy. Screw Kotick.... greedy bastid.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

I hope this goes really bad for Activision and Bobby Kotick.  They're trying to squeeze every nickle and dime out of their customers.  That strategy didn't go so well for the Guitar Hero franchise.  The sad part is a lot of people (teens and college kids mostly) will probably pay for this.  I hate Facebook with a passion and the day I have to be a part of Facebook or something similar is the day I find something else to spend my disposable income on.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

That's a potentail last nail to the coffin of Call of Duty series. First its constantly dropping quality, lack of creativity and the excodus of the team which created CoD and in the end got tired to Activision politics. Prepare your golden parachute Kotick, you will need it sooner then later.

Apart of that I think its time for me to every time I buy a game to check under what flag its was produced.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa NO. image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• nimbuszero2nimbuszero2 Member Posts: 43

Until I see that this will be a truly persistent world, no way will I be paying for MW3. I've bought all of the previous games and the DLCs (with some hesitation on the latter), but this is just too much. I make decent enough money, too. It isn't the price for me, it's the principle. The only FPS I'm willing to pay for at this point will be the new Planetside. Activision/Blizzard can blow me.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

BAD idea. VERY bad idea. sure a few people will buy it and subscribe, but the majority will not. me included. there is just no way anyone with any sense will pay for a first person shooter especially when there are 100 out there that you can play for free.  

just....a bad bad idea. i dont care how popular the whole CoD series is, as a sub and it will die.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by nimbuszero2

-SNIP-

and the DLCs (with some hesitation on the latter), but this is just too much.

-SNIP-

While I understand why you would do that if it is so you can keep playing with friends the problem is to many people paid them for substandard DLC (black ops DLC is complete rubbish for example) and with 3 CoD titltes supposedly due this year I imagine fans of the franchise will find themselves paying for at least 1 or 2 substandard titles this year also.

The Problem is people do pay & that on its own is enough to encourage Kotick and CO to do things like go to a "Premium" subscription only service. Which really boils down to if you want to play CoD without getting kicked from servers every time they rotate to a premium map you will have to subscribe. It only takes one person in your circle of friends or a handfull of people in your clan to buy it and then basically everyone who wants to keep playing with them has to buy it. Activision is well aware of this trust me, they have been grooming this behavious with all their DLC for a while now. Theres the blind Fanbois who will buy DLC or pay a subscription regardless of wether its good or not, then theres everyone else who feels "left behind" if they dont buy/subsribe so they do also.

Ask any experienced MP FPS game map maker and they will tell you a decent multiplayer shooter map requires 2-3 months of building, testing and fleshing out before it is ready for retail release, what I see coming out of Activision for CoD right now is fast produced crap designed to make a buck and nothing more.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

This is a sure way to encourage piracy. I can only hope that this will be the downfall of Activision.

• jdm12983jdm12983 Member UncommonPosts: 46

This doesn't suprise me... but kidna dumb. seeing as for all fps-based games for the PC you always got to buy the game and play the servers for free.

Now, if you were talking MMORPG tpye games this would be normal.

I think this is kind of a stupid move

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

greediness of allmighty blizzard is stunning