Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Responding to a Call of Duty Subscription Fee

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

At our sister site, FPSGuru.com, Managing Editor Jon Wood responds to the news that Activision Blizzard will offer a subscription service for the upcoming FPS, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Today, we got our hands on some information that might tip the scales in the Battlefield 3 vs Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 debate. As it turns out, Activision Blizzard, the company behind the Call of Duty franchise will be looking to charge gamers a monthly fee for access to online portions of their game.

The move itself shouldn’t come as a galloping shock to anyone, given the fact that Activision Blizzard’s other huge moneymaker, World of Warcraft, has been raking in the dough on a continuing basis since that game launched in November of 2004. Why shouldn’t they at least try to do the same thing with the Call of Duty Franchise?

Check out Jon's "Response to a Call of Duty Subscription Fee".

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Good luck with that.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

Whatever happened to, "you purchase the game; you play the game?"

So tired of all the companies nickel and diming their customers.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

I do not know about others, but I expected them to do this for all their high profile multiplayer titles.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I guess Kotick really wants to be able to add that new story to his mansion.

Another reason why Battlefield is a better franchise.

What's better than churning out the same old rehashed FPS war game every six months? Charging a monthly fee for it!

I guess WoW isn't making enough money for them anymore.

... I think that's enough one liners for now.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Noooooooooooooo

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by depain

Whatever happened to, "you purchase the game; you play the game?"

So tired of all the companies nickel and diming their customers.

Games, made by gamers, for gamers.  Well maybe not in this case. Lol

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

There was a big stink about lack of dedicated server support in MW2 and it was still (arguably) successful. I expect this to be just as unpopular and just as successful.  Once other developers see how much money these guys make off of this, I predict many will follow suit.

On the other hand, however unlikely, it could be one of the best games ever and be totally worth it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Hahaha, Kotick is freaking insane. Next thing you know they'll add a pay2win cash shop.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Oh this takes some ballls..

What exactly are they doing to warrent a subscription fee? persistant world? One giant map that hs 2000 players at a time?

Seems like blizzard marketing team just got up and said..."lets just see if we can.." and thus the subscription for an FPS game was born.

This should be interesting.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Black ops is such laggy garbage on my xbox that I don't see any reason to pay even more for it. I guess I'm officially off the MW fan bandwagon. 

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Well if that happens, that'll guarantee a 'No Sale' for me.

I've been a diehard MW-franchise fanboy...until I tasted the sweet, sweet goodness of BFBC2 on my new XPS machine. I've not yet bought Black Op, or the DLC and I'm waiting, painfully, patiently, waiting, for Battlefield 3. MW was EA's last title I spent money on... I guess they want to make it easier for me to sever the ties :)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Oh this takes some ballls..

What exactly are they doing to warrent a subscription fee? persistant world? One giant map that hs 2000 players at a time?

Seems like blizzard marketing team just got up and said..."lets just see if we can.." and thus the subscription for an FPS game was born.

This should be interesting.

Knowing Actiblizzion's word play, persistent world probably means bullet holes and blood spatter carry through to your next playthrough of the map.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

wasn't going to buy MW3 anyway after the vastly disappointing Black Ops but if this comes to fruition then hell no I ain't buying it... oh and they will probably still charge extra for map packs alongside the monthly sub...

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Well I am glad I lost interest in Call of Duty when it went into the modern era; there is no way I would pay a subscription for a FPS. I am looking forward to Battlefield 3, but if EA gets any ideas about doing the same thing I will not buy that either.

Out of all the CEOs in the world Kotich has to be the worst, the only ones that might be just as bad are the oil companies.

Anyway hopefully West and Zambella’s Respawn Entertainment makes a great game, and Battlefield 3 does not pick up a subscription. Activision can go under for all I care at this point! 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Deal Breaker

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Definitely a deal breaker for me. Jumping fanboy ship from MW to Battlefield.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Well, today has become great with this announcement.  I cannot wait for this to release.

Will people actually buy the game and support this or will they finally boycott.

OOOO, that day is going to be awesome. 

Since I'm a betting man,  $20 that Acti-Blizz post record sales. :D

BOOYAKA!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

If they can guarantee no hacking, no abusive language over VOIP, no completely obscene handles, tons of support, and not having to purchase DLC, oh and a persistant world, well I might consider.

I'll probably still play BF3 instead :P

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

With purchasing CoD:MW2 months ago, I feel I have given too much money already to Activision. CoD is nothing more than a cow they keep milking every year until the people won't be fooled anymore and I can tell that more and more stop buying, me myself for sure! They won't have to introduce this to kill the franchise, it will go down fast and soon enough anyway.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

*squeze* *squeze* *squeze*

To paraphrase Einstein: Two things are infinite, human stupidity and the universe and I am not sure about the latter.

I would add human greed to that as well.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

So for those who play this on an Xbox (i don't) you guys have to fork up a monthly fee for online play and now a monthly fee (if you want "premium") for the no1 fps on said console...man thats lame.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Considering what's happening with this genre ("F2P', cash shops, overall castration), it's pretty hilarious to see a major FPS title that's going to have a sub fee.

Gaming: aint what she used to be.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

A subscription based FPS with little form of character development? No thanks, we already have that. It's called Darkfall Online, and it's not doing too well.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I can see one good thing to come from decisons like this, it will stop me from wasting money and time buying and playing video games at all.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I am sorry but the CoD series is getting rediculous. A planned 3 titles in the franchise this year + DLC and now they want a subscription too ?

If people are dumb enough to pay for this and keep buying the weak map packs (truly the first Black Ops map pack is not worth the asking price) then I guess Activision will remain more than happy to rape and pillage their customers who seem willing to just bend over for it.

The MMO genre after many years is seeing a trend of titles moving away from subscriptions and now Activision want to add a subscription model to a long standing subscription less genre...... good luck.

I think BF3 takes the FPS crown this year if Activision go forward with this, if it doesnt I guess it proves the hardcore CoD Fanbois are collectively dumber than a sack full of hammers.

No thanks.