Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustration, and a question

sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

The frustration comes with what seems obvious, that 90% of loosing in this game comes from lack of a good defense. Why do people consistently -RUSH- as soon as the timer hits 0 (and loose).
Question, if I buy a new tank, and swap my crew (more experienced) to the new tank do they retain that experience level for the new tank, or is that only for the older type tank? Hate to start out the newest buy at 50%, but saving the money to buy 75%, and NOT gunna spend real money (It's a ok game, but not 1 I like anywhere near that much).

Comments

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

when you retrain to a new tank you take an XP hit (unless you pay for training higher than what they currently are).  If you retrain from one type of tank to another you also take an xp hit (ontop of what you normally take).

Typically a 100% crew will retrain to about 80%,  75% to 51-55%.

It is worth retraining the crew even if they only get 1% higher than the starting 50% unless you want to use the tank that they are trained for later.  I've found I retrain my TD and SPG crews more than i do my tank crews as typically you progress slower in the TD and SPG lines and the crews tend to get good XP.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Death1942
    when you retrain to a new tank you take an XP hit (unless you pay for training higher than what they currently are).  If you retrain from one type of tank to another you also take an xp hit (ontop of what you normally take).

Typically a 100% crew will retrain to about 80%,  75% to 51-55%.
    It is worth retraining the crew even if they only get 1% higher than the starting 50% unless you want to use the tank that they are trained for later.  I've found I retrain my TD and SPG crews more than i do my tank crews as typically you progress slower in the TD and SPG lines and the crews tend to get good XP.

Ok so I need the crazy-amount of monies to get at least the 75% crew.
    Any wisdom on why people don't ever defend? It's driving me crazy I expect I'll end up not playing it soon because of the frustration of loosing because no one wants to defend.
    Oh! Also! Curious... I admit, haven't read the manual or anything... Wondering why like 80-90% of time I'm at 1 end of the maps, and not something equally at either end? Curious...

• cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98

Defending or not really depends on the other people on your team. Some people like to run out for the quick fight (and quick death, generally). Others are better at waiting and seeing what plays out. Not every team is good, but just keep trying. I'm about 50/50 on wins and losses.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

People rushing also have its advantages... Scout tanks that can quickly enter enemy territory have an opportunity to knock out enemy arty... What people need to understand is that you yourself cannot win a battle, you need teamwork in order to be effective... thats what makes this game great. No Rambos here thank you, just a handful of skilled players...

if your complaining about rushes then i have the feeling you are either Tier 1 or tier 2 (or even possible T3).  I can tell you that once people are out of their light tanks you see far more camping.  It's just as frustrating to watch 90% of your team sit back doing nothing as it is to watch them dive headfirst into the enemy.

As for the question on position on maps or ranking in matches (not sure which one your question was about). 

Your rank (on the team list) is determined first by your tier and then by your tank name alphabetically.  As for where you start on a map, it's random.  I've had 5 or 6 matches (on a certain map) in a row where I have been on only one side.  It doesn't really effect the way the map unfolds for you too much.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Originally posted by saker

The frustration comes with what seems obvious, that 90% of loosing in this game comes from lack of a good defense. Why do people consistently -RUSH- as soon as the timer hits 0 (and loose). As mentioned by another poster, you must be in lower tier battles, Tier 3+ you'll find that people in heavy tanks think they are TD's and camp the hell out of the base (or on one map where you don't spawn in base you'll find them camping an empty plot of land) you'll also find that because of said cowards the TD's that are designed as defenders and ambushers are the ones that have to push the enemy back instead of the Heavies.

Question, if I buy a new tank, and swap my crew (more experienced) to the new tank do they retain that experience level for the new tank, or is that only for the older type tank? Hate to start out the newest buy at 50%, but saving the money to buy 75%, and NOT gunna spend real money (It's a ok game, but not 1 I like anywhere near that much). I generally get my crew to 90%+ before i move them to the next tank, this way they don't drop to less than 75% unless you change the type of tank (Light > Medium or Medium > Heavy etc) in which case they'll take a greater hit as the crew is used to your current type and not the new one, typically a 90% crew in that case would drop to about 55%+

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

tiers 1,2,3 i dont worry about crew, i play the tank with 50 percent crew for the few battles to get through the tank, tier 4 i train my crew to start up to 75 and by the time i get into tier 5 they are higher so I transfer the crew and retrain them with credits and generally ill keep that crew the whole time all the way to tier nine or ten.  It is really worth it, I dont think its worth it to pay gold to retrain the crew though, dont do that imo unless you got plenty of disposable income to put down on the game. 

You too have noticed the lemming rushers or rushbunnies.  yeah they are stupid, really wrecks the game.  The reason why is that is generally what people do at first, my first game in a leichttraktor I thought, hey im in a tank, lets go fight, so i ran into the field in malinovka and realized I was in a lawnmower, not a tank.  Its a low tier problem and a problem that we basically have 10k new players since launch that just dont know how to play yet, it gets better after a while, and sometimes you will still get in matches where people dont know how to do defense, or dont know when one flank has fallen and they need to pull back to base, but that is fairly rare.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by saker

The frustration comes with what seems obvious, that 90% of loosing in this game comes from lack of a good defense. Why do people consistently -RUSH- as soon as the timer hits 0 (and loose).

Question, if I buy a new tank, and swap my crew (more experienced) to the new tank do they retain that experience level for the new tank, or is that only for the older type tank? Hate to start out the newest buy at 50%, but saving the money to buy 75%, and NOT gunna spend real money (It's a ok game, but not 1 I like anywhere near that much).

Hi there, i was, when i played (think i still have premium time rolling) one of those base camping TD's hellbent on defense and support.

It was a terrible experience, and highlights one of the main reasons i stopped playing an otherwise fun game.

The community plays this game like 15 solo FPS players in a deathmatch.  Getting the most last shot kills > teamwork and winning.

Typically this type of community is great, since you make a full team of your friends, go in, and take advantage of the fact that 90% of the community doesnt know the word "teamwork" or "role"...ahh but you can only bring a small team into the game, meaning when you lose those games, its usually from a few players ignoring the team and doing whatever.

It got to be so fustrating, and so obnoxious, that i couldnt log in and enjoy the game.  Scouts, who would spot a heavy, then engage like they had to, and boom...no more scout...TD's who would front line charge, get one last shot kill, then bitch at me for having no kills because im actually playing defensive sniper ( someone who usually gets his kills late game anyway)

Try to get your team to play as a team, and half of them will mouth off at you, and all of them will just go off on their own, or everyone follows the best looking heavy, leaving all other flanks undefended.

Even little stuff got on my nerves, like how when an enemy tank has one shot left to being destroyed, every tank within range, and some out of range, will waste a shot all trying to get the last hit, not one will have to good sense to save the relode time and go for the next target in range..its all about who has the most last shot kills in this game.

In fact i could go on for pages about how horrendous the community is at teamwork, role, and in general playing the game.  Id consider comming back if they allowed paying members to bring a full team into queue, but im not dealing with the foul mouthed community who will respond to "hey help me defend the right flank im alone out here for some reason" with " go fck yourself, when you pay me to play then you can tell me what to do" after suggestin before the match started "hey lets put a few tanks on the right flank instead of everyone going lef"t, amongst most the team agreeing, only to all follow the best tank to the left when the match starts.

But yeah...no real point to playing anything but a heavy tank, since everyone plays their tank like its a heavy..and in those situations, the actual heavy tank wins.

Oh and i was tier7 and the problems were getting worse not better, lower tiers it doesnt matter, everyone is on a crap tank, higher tiers it really highlights your tanks specialized role, and thus, teamwork is much more vital.

The above poster has some valid points but really what he described was a small portion of your time playing.  Yes there are idiots (and they are in every game ever) and yes there are some very foul mouthed fools but overall the community isn't that bad (compared to most MMO's).

Platooning is really what will refresh you after some horrible matches with randoms.  Even if the platoon is capped at 3 it's still fun to hunt around in a pack with a friend or two and do some good co-ordinated strikes.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

The above poster has some valid points but really what he described was a small portion of your time playing.  Yes there are idiots (and they are in every game ever) and yes there are some very foul mouthed fools but overall the community isn't that bad (compared to most MMO's).

Platooning is really what will refresh you after some horrible matches with randoms.  Even if the platoon is capped at 3 it's still fun to hunt around in a pack with a friend or two and do some good co-ordinated strikes.

Only if it was a small portion of my time playing.

I would say it was about 80% of the games i played, and i played enough games to get to Tier 7 german TD, tier 5 german medium/heavies and tier 4 (max) german light tanks.

It was a great concept, i loved the mechanics, the maps, the tanks...it just wasnt fun being forced to play with random players who acted like i described above.  If it was a small portion of my time playing, i would still be playing, i still have a premium account ticking away.

It was basically a game that requires cooperation and teamwork skills far beyond the communities capabilities, and they dont allow paying members to take more than a few players into a game at a time.  I was in a giant clan, and we had to all group up into our small groups, and sync the time when we all hit play game, in the hopes that we could get several groups into the same match on the same side.

Grouping with 3 people max is possibly the worst idea ive ever seen implimented in a game that puts 15 vs 15.  And dont get me started on the one in five times some platoon would bring a tier 1 noob tank into a tier 7 match, nerfing our team a player essentially, in the hopes that they could get their top tier platoon members as top tanks in the game. And no, it wasnt vets helping a new player, as they would, and do, just buy a free tier 1 starter tank for such games.

Id like to think that i was just unlucky in the match making system, but it was the number one complaint in the massivly large clan i was in, it made it nearly impossible to play competetivly and ensured good players would be stuck with bad stats (for those who cared about such things)

the people who have the most fun with the game dont care about strategy, dont look at in match chat or attempt to coordinate, and just like looking at the tanks and blowing stuff up with no concern over their actions effect on the team as a whole ect.  Those interested in competative play, improving their skills, and creating a well oiled machine for a team should look elsewhere.

Well it sounds like you want clan wars, which are expected to be in the next patch.

At the moment there is a serious void in the game when it comes to team play as the options are too limited (3 man platoons, compedetive 15 player teams but require other 15 man teams to be online too (they ever are) and the training room (pointless)).  I still disagree with the community being 80% terrible but I guess I may have been lucky/you where unlucky with the matchups.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

Originally posted by strangerdang

Only if it was a small portion of my time playing.

I would say it was about 80% of the games i played, and i played enough games to get to Tier 7 german TD, tier 5 german medium/heavies and tier 4 (max) german light tanks.

It was a great concept, i loved the mechanics, the maps, the tanks...it just wasnt fun being forced to play with random players who acted like i described above.  If it was a small portion of my time playing, i would still be playing, i still have a premium account ticking away.

It was basically a game that requires cooperation and teamwork skills far beyond the communities capabilities, and they dont allow paying members to take more than a few players into a game at a time.  I was in a giant clan, and we had to all group up into our small groups, and sync the time when we all hit play game, in the hopes that we could get several groups into the same match on the same side.

Did you try making a Tank Company? easy enough to do and plenty of others do it, if you think your clan members are better than randoms all you have to do is prove it to the community by forming tank companies and facing said randoms in their own companies.

Grouping with 3 people max is possibly the worst idea ive ever seen implimented in a game that puts 15 vs 15.  And dont get me started on the one in five times some platoon would bring a tier 1 noob tank into a tier 7 match, nerfing our team a player essentially, in the hopes that they could get their top tier platoon members as top tanks in the game. And no, it wasnt vets helping a new player, as they would, and do, just buy a free tier 1 starter tank for such games.

So your saying that in order to "fix" the match making you'd prefer to have it so you can create a larger platoon so you can have a fairer advantage? the reason the devs made it 3 is so that Clan members and friends can't form large groups and attempt to "own all". 1/5th of the team is fair i think after playign it so long. Oh and as a side note you will never find a tier 1 in a tier 7 battle unless he's in a platoon with a higher tier tank, look up the wiki and other sources and you'll see how the matching system works, simply put a tank won't face others that are more than 4 tiers higher than them. Goes by Tonnage and tier.

Id like to think that i was just unlucky in the match making system, but it was the number one complaint in the massivly large clan i was in, it made it nearly impossible to play competetivly and ensured good players would be stuck with bad stats (for those who cared about such things)

the people who have the most fun with the game dont care about strategy, dont look at in match chat or attempt to coordinate, and just like looking at the tanks and blowing stuff up with no concern over their actions effect on the team as a whole ect.  Those interested in competative play, improving their skills, and creating a well oiled machine for a team should look elsewhere.

Do you play US or EU server? cause on the EU server everything you've described doesn't exist, yeah the match system can seem unfair at times as i find myself using my leopard against tier 7's more often than equal tier tanks, my T20 often finds itself against tier 9's sometimes, my Tiger sometimes gets into tier 9/10 battles.. BIG DEAL.. you make the most of what you can and learn to use the tank and type of tank you drive. Light tanks act as forward scouts (not suicide scouts), mediums are designed as heavier scouts and flanking tanks, heavies are main battle tanks, TD's are ambushers and defenders, Arty is obviously support fire. So what do me and many others do when for example a tier 4 light scout ends up against KV3's and sometimes an IS? we move CAUTIOUSLY forward and act as frontline scouts or we run rings round the enemy to keep them occupied while the big guns move up or we position ourselves so we can dash and fast cap an enemy base while they're preoccupied.

My best record is in a VK3601H Medium German Tank, 9 kills, 2 damaged, 4 detected, Sniper, Defender, Steel Wall, survived the round with 65HP's left, got 2.2k XP and over 35k money. Guess what i was against? Tigers, Tiger II's, IS, JagdPanthers. It all boils down to how you play not what your against or the matching system. and before you try to throw in the "you just got the final kill shot" argument i'll tell you now, i was solo because the rest of the team i had were bloody base campers.

I am sorry m8 but your posts just seem to be frustration ranting more than actually saying something.

• ClaymixClaymix Member Posts: 16

The problems I've found with matches where you lose (not loose) badly isn't so much because people are rushing. On the contrary, a coordinated rush will win you a match! No, the problem seems to be the fact that one flank gets all the attention in a battle, but then no one ever advances.

E.g., the battle starts, most of the team goes left. A couple go middle. The rest go right. The guys in the middle have to be defensive because there are so few of them. The guys on the right play well considering their numbers, but they basically just have to hold out until the majority of the team on the left breaks through. What do the guys on the left do? Nothing. They peak out from cover and fire and then dart back in. No guts at all. Despite their numbers, they don't work together and play conservatively. They take so long to advance that the other flanks crumble and the team falls apart.

I'd say 75% of my losses are that exact scenario.

Teamwork: using the morons on your team as bait.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

I dont find any bad about machmaking, i am got bad when i see russian tank/TD damage...compare all other nation but same tier tank and td, they do a lot more(around +200) dmg.

And why the heck put in the  "never fight in the WWII" (like Mause) or  "cold war" (T54) tanks ?

I think, much more fun when they  are stick with the reality...

• A1x2e3lA1x2e3l Member UncommonPosts: 131

"I think, much more fun when they are stick with the reality..."

They (developers and players) don’t want to!!

There are no teams in random battles. It is not serious to expect a coordinated play from random 15 gamers that meet each other for the first and last time in their lives without a system of solid build-in team-play support game features. Unfortunately, WoT is totally based on self-organization, in other words on chaos and anarchy. Chat, few unclear commands on a mini-map that is all.

WoT is a military game. Rigid organization/hierarchy, obligatory orders, numerous regulation documents, hard trainings are foundation of a RL army. Army is based on a simple principal: you don’t know – we’ll teach you; you don’t want to – we’ll force you. It should be carefully considered in game programming.

Tank mechanics (shooting, moving, etc.) is nicely simulated in WoT, but tank battles/tactics (team play) are NOT. Interestingly WoT community is happy with the present primitive game design/concept of an arcade shooter, bang-bang races on tanks. They can endlessly discuses not significant details e.g. how to “balance” a soviet produced in tens of thousands post-war T-54 with a German paper prototype Panther 2. Numerous hardcore WoT “experts” did nothing in the game and on the WoT forum to have a right to accuse anybody in “coward camping” or “silly lemmings’” behavior. Only few members are really interested in historical accuracy, reasonable missions/campaigns, simulation of small armor units tactics, different game modes, in actually more clever and challenging game. Developers got what kind of fun the majority needs and potentially interesting and innovative game is ending as a shallow repetitive arcade.

WoT is an impressive example of how sloppy game design promotes selfish solo play in a team orientated game and forms an undemanding, superficial, and arrogant game community.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

"I think, much more fun when they are stick with the reality..." <- I don't mean about game mechanic, I say this because i dont want to see "M1 Abrams" vs JagdTiger battles...just think about TDs...they are not developed after the ww2.