Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic has been sold

CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Not sure where to post this.  Here seemed as good as any :P.

http://gamutnews.com/20110531/12089/perfect-world-and-atari-announce-agreement-for-the-acquisition-of-cryptic-studios.html

Seems that Perfect World Co. bought Cryptic.  What does this mean for Cryptic?  Well, I don't really know heh heh.  I don't know much about Perfect World Co, but please share your thoughts.

Here is the link to the thread on the STO forums talking about this as well.  Go and see what they have to say!

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=217425

Comments

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

ouch, sorry...

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

If people didn't have a problem with Cryptics cash shops before, they probably will now.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Zolgar

If people didn't have a problem with Cryptics cash shops before, they probably will now.

Yeah. Final nail in the coffin for me. Not that I had put much stock in Cryptic after Champions and STO

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Should have one heck of a character creation experience though. You got probably the two studios that put about the most amount of character creation (CoX and PW) in one company.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

doesnt PW just run F2P games? .. if anything i would expect all the current cryptic games to switch to that model over the next few months... i think it was probably inevitable that STO would go F2P though..image

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Perfect World puts out some great free to play games. I dont know what this will do but i think it could be good. Im a fan of PW although im not dedicated to any of their games.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Phry

doesnt PW just run F2P games? .. if anything i would expect all the current cryptic games to switch to that model over the next few months... i think it was probably inevitable that STO would go F2P though..image

yeah but they're more in line with P2W games, wich is a bit worrying for the ones that still plays cryptic games.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Crappy games + Crappy cash shop, seems like they were made for each other doesn't it ?

Originally posted by Darkholme

they should have that as the cover picture of STO's Boxed game     (is there one?)  image

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I played PWI < perfect world international > when it went live in north america. Loved it...but it had some bugs and customer service that rivals SOE. I got so upset with customer service i quit playing PWI. If this is true that they now have aquired cryptic, and i am a lifetime sub of star trek online, then i will simply never log into STO again. i refuse to do business with Sony and i refuse to do business with PWI.  I also recomend highly that you avoid these companys games and products at all costs. I dont even buy sony products in the stores < even thou i know its different divisions of sony > , due to the way i was treated as a customer of EQ1 of 5 yrs play.   Nor will i play anything from PWI again either.  I simply refuse to deal with such companys who dont care about thier customers. < even thou PWI is free to play, i used the cash store, i spent over 250 USD in 6 months of play, that wasnt a problem, thier customer service was the problem! >

I am 46 yrs old. I dont cause problems in games for other players, i dont sell gold, or sell items for real money, i dont abuse glitches for personal gains, i am an honest person in RL and in games.  I am not ranting above to vent frustrations, i am simply telling you from personal experiences that these companys will gladly take your money, not deliver on written promises or service, and insult you when you ask for help.

< i was told it was a chinese translation misunderstanding by a friend, but PWI without cursing me basically told me to go F myself, they were not going to help me with my problem in thier game even thou they had admitted the problem openly and said they would assist players whom this broken mechanic caused problems for......HA! simply not true.......Hence those companys do not get anymore of my money or any of anyone i can convince not too also! >

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

My thoughts exactly, stay out of my head.
  • motersmoters Member UncommonPosts: 73

Fail is only thing that comes to mind for sto pwi is nothing but a cash grab company and there wonderfull pay to win shops.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Wow even more reasons to stay away from any cryptic game now, glad both of these companies are on my never to buy list.

hope they both go bankrupt, haha wow I wish this on quite a few companies it seems

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

My thoughts exactly, stay out of my head.

well its not like conversion to F2P will be difficult given that the cash shop in STO is already so closely integrated..  but yes.. bound to be more items there soon that give xp bonuses, ammo that has limited uses for exceptional damage.. that kind of thing.. nothing to worry about honestly image

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

On the bright side, how can Cryptic get any worse?

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Sadly true.. but that doesnt mean their not trying hard image

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Looks like the Free Zone's Richard Aihoshi called it on the buyer being an Asian company, though I don't think he had mentioned perfect World specifically. Cryptic sold for about what I thought it would, and that money should pay off everything Atari owes BlueBay for Cryptic still. Ironically, selling Cryptic may just see this 2011-2012 fiscal year be the first time Atari has been in the black for years. 

I wonder what will happen to the NWN game now? Depending on how the licensing agreement is set up between Atari and Hasbro, Cryptic may have to stop working on it. It's a safe bet STO will now see a conversion to the freemium model that CO uses, though I doubt the current STO players will notice too much of a difference.

On another the bright side, does this mean we get to export Jack Emmert to China now? image

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Sadly true.. but that doesnt mean their not trying hard image

lol :)

But poor Cryptic... they actually were once a respected outift.

This is what it has come down to? PW? :(

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Dinendae

I wonder what will happen to the NWN game now? Depending on how the licensing agreement is set up between Atari and Hasbro, Cryptic may have to stop working on it.

Yeah maybe, or it may be have been included in the sales deal to allow them to continue the use of the license.

If so, this puts the D&D NWN IP in the hands of PW, which is fucking tragic imo.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Originally posted by Cacaphony

http://gamutnews.com/20110531/12089/perfect-world-and-atari-announce-agreement-for-the-acquisition-of-cryptic-studios.html

Seems that Perfect World Co. bought Cryptic.  What does this mean for Cryptic?  Well, I don't really know heh heh.  I don't know much about Perfect World Co, but please share your thoughts.

Here is the link to the thread on the STO forums talking about this as well.  Go and see what they have to say!

Perfect World are actually far better than Atari

Originally posted by vesavius

Who else would really want them, other than an Asian company looking to make a presence in North America (or expand that presence)?

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

I wonder what will happen to the NWN game now? Depending on how the licensing agreement is set up between Atari and Hasbro, Cryptic may have to stop working on it.

Yeah maybe, or it may be have been included in the sales deal to allow them to continue the use of the license.

If so, this puts the D&D NWN IP in the hands of PW, which is fucking tragic imo.

Atari can't sell the license to another compnay, since Hasbro owns the D&D I.P. (and is suing Atari to revoke said I.P.), but they may be able to sub-license the game to PW. I wonder if Atari has the stones to do that though, considering that they're currently still trying to settle with Hasbro?

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

Who else would really want them, other than an Asian company looking to make a presence in North America (or expand that presence)?

Western companies know it would be cheaper to wait for the company to crash and then look to pick up the pieces in a fire sale. PW would seem to want an intact company to ... well, we'll see.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Perfect World are actually far better than Atari

I couldn't agree more.  I used to test games for Infogrames/Atari, and I can attest to the way that everything they touch turns to utter crap, or comes damn near to it.

I was working out of their Sunnyvale, CA offices when they were publishing the first Neverwinter Nights.  They sent a small crew of us to Edmonton, Canada to work directly with BioWare's dev team to test the final beta stage of NWN, but we were ill-prepared, and we were sent there to make up for the lack of progress while testing in-house in the states.

I have never felt more ashamed or embarassed as I was in the presence of such cool, talented folks like the guys at BioWare, representing the FailTeam sent up from Infogrames/Atari to pick up the last-minute slack on their baby.  It was truly an honor to have worked on the title, even if we were a big let-down for them.  While I was up there, I got to see all the various concept art and sample levels they were play testing for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic at the same time.

I left Infogrames/Atari as soon as I returned to the states.  That company is truly garbage, and the only thing they're good at is looking for smaller development houses that need a helping hand, snapping them up, then running their franchises into the ground.