Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes are gender locked

13»

Comments

• LeviticusLeviticus Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Yeah, buddy. You're not trying to be rude at all.

Gender-locking is idiotic. I'm not "sexually insecure", but I absolutely despise playing as a female character. I want to actually see the armor on my body. I hate working hard for a set of armor, just to see that the finished product has left me with 2 inches of plate and thin leather straps. It really comes down to the developers being lazy, just as... someone said earlier. Of course, I enjoy an older D&D mentality. Any one can do any thing. Restrictions in general are ridiculous!

It's been done a lot in the past. It's going to be done a lot in the future. You can think it's just lazy development, and I will continue to argue it's irrelevance to most sane people.

Yeah and that's your opinion. Fact is the developers/publishers will lose money because of it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Leviticus

Originally posted by Yamumacha

The part that gets me about it is that they've locked the classes by gender for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's no story reason, nothing, absolutely no reason given for locking them.

They have a reason. They want to work as little as possible in the hope of getting our money.

Did anybody ever consider that the idea of gender,  "male"/"female" has a particular resonance with Asian culture? that applying a gender to a particular class means more than its' just a man/woman?

I highly doubt the effort to allow a class both male and female genders is a huge task nor have I ever met a developer that was actually "lazy".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YamumachaYamumacha Member UncommonPosts: 28

It's been done a lot in the past. It's going to be done a lot in the future. You can think it's just lazy development, and I will continue to argue it's irrelevance to most sane people.

It's irrelevant to you, and you're more than welcome to that opinion. But it's relevant to us. It doesn't make us any less "sane"

It's irrelevant to you, and you're more than welcome to that opinion. But it's relevant to us. It doesn't make us any less "sane"

Exactly. Wanting free choice does not mean we're insane.

All we can do is keep on asking and complaining, hopefully they can get it changed. It would be nice if they would at the very least even just acknowledge our complaints.

• LikeLike Member Posts: 1

It's an issue that can't be looked over, but hopefully in time, things can be worked out for the better.

• LadywilowLadywilow Member Posts: 5

Pffttt...half the girl chars in mmorpg's are guys anyway..

As a girl i am always asking why, the reply i get is i don't wanna stare at a guys ass..nuff said

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Sovrath

The part that gets me about it is that they've locked the classes by gender for absolutely no reason whatsoever. There's no story reason, nothing, absolutely no reason given for locking them.

They have a reason. They want to work as little as possible in the hope of getting our money.

Did anybody ever consider that the idea of gender,  "male"/"female" has a particular resonance with Asian culture? that applying a gender to a particular class means more than its' just a man/woman?

I highly doubt the effort to allow a class both male and female genders is a huge task nor have I ever met a developer that was actually "lazy".

It is a lot of work to animate a different gender or race or whatever for some set of armour. Allowing 2 genders for each class is double the work then allowing just 1.

And your assumption about the idea of gender having a particular resonance with Asian culture is just that, an assumption. Just look at other games on the Asian market and you will see similar classes where the situation is the opposite. Male and not female instead of female and not male.

I agree with others that if there is no lore reason, that I suspect that they simply chose for this to save time in development. MMO's in the f2p genre have usually less character customisation to begin with compared to p2p. This is just part of that.

Originally posted by Ladywilow

Pffttt...half the girl chars in mmorpg's are guys anyway..

As a girl i am always asking why, the reply i get is i don't wanna stare at a guys ass..nuff said

I dunno about you but I don't tend to stare at my characters ass, it's more the look of the character with the armor. And I'd rather use a male character than a female character because I like my character to wear more armor than a bathing suit.

There is a poll taking place about the gender locked characters. http://85.17.159.77/~dragonso/Forums/showthread.php?56-Genderlock

Go here to vote.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Exactly. Wanting free choice does not mean we're insane.

Hehe, you are right. I apologize. It just surprises me that gender-locked classes can be such an issue when it's been proven (by ratings at least) that an RPG game can have gender-locked classes and still be fun. It surprises me that a person would refuse to play a game on such basis. I suppose I'll never understand. Good luck on your crusade.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

I realize that gender-locked classes don't make the game worse, but it's the RP aspect of the game. I'm not really a fan of Role-Playing, but I really like having the freedom to choose my own gender (I am female). It certainly bothers me when I have to pick a male character.

Aside from the rest of the game, it's hard to call it an RPG when you're not able to create who you want.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

People play diffrent genders for diffrent reasons.  Some guys like looking at female characters, for instance.  Others like to get immersed into the game, and choose to create a character that they can relate to.  Others just want to look cool.

Gender locking usually restricts players options, your picking the class because you want to play it, rather than choosing the class you want to play AND the character you want to play.

Its nothing more than cutting corners to save development time and effort.  Its a sign of a game whos developers will cut corners and are possibly lazy.

Look some people just dont care, and thats fine.  Plenty of players do care however, and cutting this corner might save some development time, but costs them in players who wont touch the game because of it.

Also, i should add, that once a game is gender locked, it never ever gets removed.  You think a developer who cut that corner is going to come back around and re develop the game....

Ill put it this way...no one ever said "i wish this game had gender locked classes"...no one ever...

More than anything its a sign of a developer whos cheap,lazy, and willing to cut corners.  Something that will probably show it face again in the game in other aspects.

For me, i wont touch a game with gender locks. For the above mentioned reasons of the game suffering from corners cut, but also i like to play as a male character.  I dont enjoy playing games where the characters are cute, cuddly, or gender locked.  Personal preference.  If the developers wont bother programming a second set of characters per each class, or at least be creative (usually lazy developers are not creative unfortunatly) and make some kind of sexless race per each class, then im not going to bother playing their game.

Its a good way to reduce your market exposure off the bat, regardless if some posters/players think its silly to do so.

Just like how point and click movement use to be the standard for these types of games, untill they realized they were instantly reducing the % of players who would play..

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I can't speak on behalf of the known playerbase, but if the class I want to play is gender-locked to a female, I will not play.

I do believe it is laziness and shows a small mindset fo the game. Why restrict such a fundamental aspect of choice? The development team just needs to be smart on its character models and armor meshing. Creating extensive class-specific looking armor throughout the game complicates this, but is also only needed when visual recognition of specific classes is needed.

• yammy_thoyammy_tho Member UncommonPosts: 14

Female gamer here... and yeaaahhh... Kinda hate having to play as a dude.  But if the game is really amazing, I will suck it up lol.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Originally posted by Talin

I can't speak on behalf of the known playerbase, but if the class I want to play is gender-locked to a female, I will not play.

I do believe it is laziness and shows a small mindset fo the game. Why restrict such a fundamental aspect of choice? The development team just needs to be smart on its character models and armor meshing. Creating extensive class-specific looking armor throughout the game complicates this, but is also only needed when visual recognition of specific classes is needed.

You speak for me too.

I simply won't play a female toon. Ever. I see it as my representative in a virtual world.

This kind of idiotic decision on behalf of game developers has caused me to miss out on a fair few MMO's over the year, but I can always find others to spend my money on.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

While I agree with your sentiment .. people's acceptance of this is just pushing the genre further and further away from an immersive sandbox. Now don't jump down my throat about sandbox. I have no problem with themepark elements ... my only real problem is the complete lack of anything resembling sanbox mechanics for 5-6 years now. Less choices can't be good (imo).

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)