Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you believe FPS/TPS/Aiming combat is the future of the MMORPG genre?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Over the past few years, there has been a growing number of FPS mmo/ aim combat MMO.

With Rumors of a New planetside on ther way, and rumors that Blizzard's new MMO will be FPS,

I wonder if the genre is moving away from tab targeting.

Darkfall, MO, already have it. And we have Tera on the way to bring aim combat again to the genre.

would aimed combat be a good dirrection for the genre to head into for the majority of the MMORPG games?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

I voted for neither.  There are two problems with games with that style combat.  Anyone who has played FPS can probably tell you what they are.  Latency and aimbot.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I voted for Aim, but it's not quite the future and simply an alternative.

There are a lot of MMOs offering for TPS/action gameplay, lately. Vindictus, DarkFall, Mortal Online, Earthrise, upcoming titles like Dragon Nest, TERA, Continent Of The Ninth, etc. It's definitively increasing in popularity, and will not replace the tab-targetting mmo, but simply introduce an alternative.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by Asmiroth20

I voted for neither.  There are two problems with games with that style combat.  Anyone who has played FPS can probably tell you what they are.  Latency and aimbot.

As he said....FPS style is hindered till the internet gets a crap load faster...and with companies talking about throttling their services I do not expect to see the FPS style games getting big.  The other side of aimbot means you have to have really well programmed sniffer programs to look for it or you need to have a large human pool of people keeping the players in check...either way it would be tedious or they end up being a joke like planetside was with people talking about the cheating.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

From Wikipedia:

An aimbot (sometimes called "auto-aim") is a type of computer game bot used in first-person shooter games to provide varying levels of target acquisition assistance to the player. It is sometimes incorporated as a feature of a game(where it is usually called "auto-aim" or "aiming assist"). However, making the aim-bot more powerful in multiplayer games is considered cheating, as it gives the user an advantage over unaided players.

Aimbots have varying levels of effectiveness. Some aimbots can do all of the aiming and shooting, requiring the user to move into a position where the opponents are visible; this level of automation usually makes it difficult to hide an aimbot—for example, the player might make inhumanly fast turns that always end with his or her crosshairs targeting an opponent's head. Numerous anti-cheat mechanisms have been employed by companies such as Valve to prevent their use and avoid the accusations.

Some games have "auto-aim" as an option in the game. This is not the same as an aimbot; it simply helps the user to aim when playing offline against computer opponents usually by slowing the movement of 'looking/aiming' while the crosshair is on or near a target. It is common for console FPS games to have this feature to compensate for the lack of precision in analog-stick control pads.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

See APB

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Twitch skill and aim are not the future of MMOs as we know them today. They are however the future of soon-to-come hybrid MMORPG/FPS hybrid games that are gonna rock our socks off.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

They are A future.

There's lots of room for different types of gameplay in MMORPGs.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

I always target creatures with mouse rather than tab...

Anywho, MMO/FPS hybrids are more likely than strait up FPS. Personally, I'd like to see more focuses on tactical gameplay then twitch style FPS.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by Drachasor

They are A future.

haha Thats pretty much exactly what i was gonna reply with.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Combat like what you find in EQ and Wow and it's clones were designed because the Internet at the time could not cope with FPS combat. It was a horrid work around.

Once you have played EQ and a few other clones the deadness of the combat gets to you, unless you are brain dead.

Then if you play Darkfall, Mortal Online or PlanetSide then it's like the MMO genre suddenly comes alive again.. You can't go back.

However we are yet to see a FPS MMO that has the depth of other mmos like Ultima Online.

Long live the FPS combat mmos!

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

We may see more of it, but I hope not. Between FPS and traditional (dice) RPG I'm 110% RPG.

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

I find that "tab" targetting allows for focusing more on the cerebral aspects of combat (strategy and talent based tactics) while "aim" focuses more on the twitch aspects of combat (positioning and straffing).  

Both have aspects of these game elements, but when I am tab targetting in a game it feels more like "chess" because I'm able to focus more on buffs/debuff and countering abilities of the other guy and when I'm playing an "aim" style game like darkfall the gameplay narrows and focuses on the moment and shallow use of talents/countering in favour of hopping around while targetting and trying to contort a quick KD/heal from my F? keys.

So my answer is - both.  Tab style has great potential for deep/intelligent combat while Aim style is great for that seat of your pants adrenaline rush.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

The auto attack Everquest combat model has pretty much run its course. Theres nothing left to do or add to this model to make it better.

The "aiming" real time combat model actually rewards skill. Gear and stats wont move you out of the way of a fireball, you have to do it yourself.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Drachasor

They are A future.

/this

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Aimed shooting. After you played an MMO with aimed shooting it is very hard to get any kick outta autotarget & tab MMO's...

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Saorlan

Combat like what you find in EQ and Wow and it's clones were designed because the Internet at the time could not cope with FPS combat. It was a horrid work around.

Once you have played EQ and a few other clones the deadness of the combat gets to you, unless you are brain dead.

Then if you play Darkfall, Mortal Online or PlanetSide then it's like the MMO genre suddenly comes alive again.. You can't go back.

However we are yet to see a FPS MMO that has the depth of other mmos like Ultima Online.

Long live the FPS combat mmos!

yeah, way to go insulting people. image

I imagine that the actual truth is "different strokes for different folks" and that if some people don't care about combat as an end in and of itself then tab targeting works just fine.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LordPsychodiLordPsychodi Member Posts: 101

Honestly, i think it will become much more of an even mix. I don't feel it was a work around to such environments and speed of connections back then. Ever played team forrtress or DOOM over modems? it worked fine actually. Any other limitations no MMO for the time could get past and those were usually graphics related issues on the client side of things, not speed issues of talking to the server. But I really do prefer FPS aiming when I'm playing Team fortress 2, and tab targetting for WoW, Everquest, City of Heroes and all the other great MMOs I've played. Even EVE online's lock on targetting was a choice that has worked out and having played it until 2010 it was always great, I never once desired a space shooter sim or thought it could be better done that way.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

If I want to play an fps style game I go play counterstrike source or some other fps game. It's something I often do, but I HATE seeing fps style combat in MMORPGs. I don't want my games to be all the same and play the exact same way. I like variety which is why I hate the merging of rpg and fps styles of play. The only exception to this rule is the Mass Effect series and Deus Ex, those I loved. I don't mind that there are MMOFPS games, I just don't want my MMORPG games to play like them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by BarakIII

If I want to play an fps style game I go play counterstrike source or some other fps game. It's something I often do, but I HATE seeing fps style combat in MMORPGs. I don't want my games to be all the same and play the exact same way. I like variety which is why I hate the merging of rpg and fps styles of play. The only exception to this rule is the Mass Effect series and Deus Ex, those I loved. I don't mind that there are MMOFPS games, I just don't want my MMORPG games to play like them.

Ditto.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I also see it as a mix.

There are people who are just not going to warm up to fps combat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

i think fully automated characters is the future. institutionalized botting.

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think a wide range of games catering to a wide range of playstyls and preferences is the future of MMORPGs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

No, but I do believe there will (and should) be more games of this type in the future.

We're still a ways off before everyone starts on equal terms technically and I don't believe it is the best way to bring mass amounts of players together (always became one big clusterfuck in my experience).

The high stress factor will also scare away some people. And the RPG system is usually more addictive.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

TCOS never had those problem so it really fly in the face of what you are saying. Some may suffer but not all mmo will have them problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prr5dFIK2-Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuM4OtPjzt8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12WtOW4Ikao&feature=related

The game closed down but it was not because of the combat which was the best thing about it.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

personally I dont like FPS or Twitch based games, although I did enjoy AC the most of any game I have ever played.

I dont like first person anything honestly