Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Survivor Guy: Returning to Eve

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EVE Incarna is fast approaching with developers spending a lot of time touting new features including the Capatin's quarters and much more. In his latest Survivor Guy series, MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle heads back into EVE to see how he does after a year's respite from the game. Check out Survivor Guy: Returning to EVE and then let us know what you think.

You see my relationship with CCP’s creation was a strained one at best. Within the game was something amazing, something so complex and in-depth that it excited every gaming bone in my body, but to counteract this were numerous obstacles in which enjoy the MMO. I read guide after guide, watched YouTube videos, and cruised forums, yet I still didn’t understand the game any better.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Survivor Guy: Returning to EVE .

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

WHY !!!! WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why I can't get into loving the game!!!

I always wanna play it, but it always didn't drag me in !! =(

Someone please help me out !! =p

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I had the same problem, took me 4 trial accounts before I got in, for me I needed goals and a sense of progression, which I got from climbing the agent ladder for particular npc corps (easier now with no quality, just lvls for them), as well as trying out various activities, such as scanning, pvp and combat missions. Which lots of different ships, a pvp role in my 0.0 corp. and lots and lots of skills to train, I have a lot to go back for now.
  • DStrangeloveDStrangelove Member Posts: 63
    Looking forward to the follow up

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I have tried Eve so many times. Last time I stayed for a bit over a month and I really enjoyed it but I still didn't get past the free month -_- 

THe biggest mistake you can do, imo, is to constantly keep creating trial accounts every time you want to try the game. That's what I did. But last time I bought the game from steam and I will play on that account if I want to try the game again. This way you don't just redo the same stuff over and over :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    welcome back

BestSigEver :P

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I read the 8 part series before, and IMO, EVE isn't the game for you. You can't force yourself to like a game, it's that simple. After reading you done some research before and still didn't understand is what made me think so. I'll still be reading, since I like your writing style, but am execting the last few articles to be about you dragging yourself along like the last ones.

• DebutstudiosDebutstudios Member Posts: 6

Very timely article, I too found Eve a bit overwhelming at first. But, been about a year since I played the first time and was thinking of heading back in. Couldn't hurt right?

Good article!

Thanks,

Jim

• nasaxnasax Member Posts: 1

You need to Love the game :D

I LOVE LINUX !!!

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

any chance for a new player to spend 1 hour without been ganked over an over?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by SpandexDroid

EVE does not play like you seem to think it does.

Give the free trial a shot, I'll be surprised if you get 'ganked' even once.

As for the survivor guy, many a player has finally found their fun in EVE after coming back for a 2nd or 3rd try.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Dolmong

WHY !!!! WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why I can't get into loving the game!!!

I always wanna play it, but it always didn't drag me in !! =(

Someone please help me out !! =p

A lot of people didn't get into EvE because they don't know what there suppose to do.. Problem is you do what you want, right? Well for some people they don't grasp this, and if no objective/ goal as to 'some what beating' a game, or acomplishing something (set by game), then they don't see game fit...

WoW has its levels, you level max to beat the content, you beat the content. and fully gear. (usual goals in order)..

As for EvE there are no levels, just skills, and sent in a sandbox to do what 'You' want to approach both in your skills, ship, and type of missions working more and more up over time.

EvE is not a MMORPG fully styled, but a Space simulator with the elements.

Maybe you can't get into game from that, or its just not your type of genre, or style. shrug.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i've been playing for almost 4 years and i can count the number of times i've been ganked in high-sec on one hand.   and the hand in question is forming itself into the shape of a "zero".

Eve isnt really about ganking lowbies in their starting areas (a la darkfall).  it's got punishment in place for the people who would do this.  you WILL get pvp'd if you go to dangerous places but you'll have plenty of fair warning letting you kiow where you're about to go is nasty.

later on you might join a corp that flies in lawless space (as i did) and there pvp is more group v group so you'll have friends on your side.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

stay in 0.6+ sec space.... stay at stations? do level 1 misions to get a lil better ship/fitted.

if your mining having 2 accounts is the way to go, start in really high sec so 0.8-1.0

1 account get best mining ship you can over time starting with barge (skip tier 1 barge, get tier 2)

other account, get industrial ship with tier 2 cargo expanders in all low slots, afterburner/ or micro warp in medium, and tractor beam in high. when mining dump in temp cargo fill up ship. take indust ship to station dump, come back (keep dumping in temp containers from miner) repeat. Profit.

Originally posted by itchmon

i've been playing for almost 4 years and i can count the number of times i've been ganked in high-sec on one hand.   and the hand in question is forming itself into the shape of a "zero".

Eve isnt really about ganking lowbies in their starting areas (a la darkfall).  it's got punishment in place for the people who would do this.  you WILL get pvp'd if you go to dangerous places but you'll have plenty of fair warning letting you kiow where you're about to go is nasty.

later on you might join a corp that flies in lawless space (as i did) and there pvp is more group v group so you'll have friends on your side.

it is true that high sec gankin is getting more popular (also they hold events to gank miners in highsec on eve radio)... Null sec probably just as safe.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

never played EvE, but i will try it; im bored to tears to be honest.

edit: and thanks for the suggestions

• TheRiveterTheRiveter Member UncommonPosts: 19

You are talking about Hulk-a-gedon and no, that is not in high sec. it is a low to null sec thing.

Originally posted by TheRiveter

You are talking about Hulk-a-gedon and no, that is not in high sec. it is a low to null sec thing.

Nver got the hulk myself, as i didn't see fit... Also the pirates mainly go after hulks in highsec...

Its best to get a buddy around, or have people near by to call in. Or, the most common. Have more accounts to guard your self.. carrying a orca you can switch your switch+ store goods, manage to watch fast enough and stay close prob can dock for a combat ship if something were to happen..

Also all miners should be carrying combat drones and have those leveled up nearly maxed, or maxed.

(also Tip: if solo mining easy way to be cautious find a empty high sec system, or like only a few players (after looking at profile make sure not a treat) look at profile for everynew player entering system under local chat log)

• mikaleonmikaleon Member Posts: 9

"Choosing to be a part of Gallente tribe and heading for the warrior type race"

Did you mean Minmatar?

• elistrangeelistrange Member Posts: 157

EVE Online can be very hard to get into. I belive it is because it is a sandbox box, and it is a huge game. I have played EVE off and on for the last two years or so, and I love the game. But, until you figure out what you want to do with the game, you can be a bit lost. Presently, I missioning while I train up on my Hulk. I plan on checking out the mining business side of EVE. Also, I am pretty experienced explorer. However, I feel like I don't know anything...and I have been playing for two years.

Currently Play: ?
    Occasionally Play: Champions, Pirates of the Burning Sea, WOW, EVE ONLINE

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

"You don't have enough skill points"...."You can't fly [Insert ship name here]"

2 statements I often heard in Eve that roadblocked me from trying the things I wanted to try. I won't be returning, what's the point?

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Vonatar

2 statements I often heard in Eve that roadblocked me from trying the things I wanted to try. I won't be returning, what's the point?

You can't be serious? If you are then there is no point. What's the point of putting one foot in front of the other? I'm guessing you've heard simuliar statements outside the game as well.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80

yer that reminds me. when i start a new mmo. I need to complain because I cant fit into end game raiding gear straight away even though i've only just started and dont have the required skills or levels... oh wait. thats because its an mmo, something you need to invest time in to get to the things you want

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by fenring101

yer that reminds me. when i start a new mmo. I need to complain because I cant fit into end game raiding gear straight away even though i've only just started and dont have the required skills or levels... oh wait. thats because its an mmo, something you need to invest time in to get to the things you want

Shhh.. don't interrupt his diatribe with pointed observations..  highlighting fundamental flaws in any argument isnt very sporting! image

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

While this article is well written, it doesn't really tell the reader much about the game itself, just the authors thoughts on his experience.

The story reminds me of my first time in EvE back in beta, seems nothing much has changed in the hi-sec space and im sure almost all players can be reminded of their first days in EvE from this article.

Problem with this game is after a few years most have have literally seen it all and done it all, there is nothing else to do. This is why vets often leave and never return, you reach a point at which it ceases to be any more than logging in to change a skill train or check the market. While this is testiment to CCP and the community in EvE that it can keep players enthralled for such a long time, it is just not a game i enjoyed returning too.

Take a break for a few years, come back and my beloved corp is now gone, the 100+ players i knew and played with daily are all gone to a man/woman never to return. This was my experience and it's long gone now. Trying to start again without those who made the game what it was for me, it's just too much to face.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

never played EvE, but i will try it; im bored to tears to be honest.

edit: and thanks for the suggestions

Also... you know what? Getting ganked isn't so bad really. It doesn't happen less as you get deeper into the game, it happens more, because you take bigger risks in more attractive ships. The first time, it's a hell of a shock. After a while.... it's just overhead. A cost of doing business. A calculated risk.

You learn how the game works and you realise that ship destruction is what drives the whole intricate, massive player economy, it's what keeps everything turning over. Everyone takes their turn sooner or later, like it or not.

You get better at avoiding being killed: it's extremely hard to kill an alert, experienced EVE player who doesn't want to engage in a fight, and there is a whole branch of PvP tactics devoted to doing this and it still doesn't usually work. I live in Curse, which is probably one of the most dangerous regions in the whole of EVE, and I haven't lost a ship there in a fight I didn't choose to engage in yet. There is also a whole branch of tactics devoted to not dying....

If I was to give you one single piece of advice to help you enjoy playing EVE, it's to learn to PvP early on. Dont "wait until you're ready". Do the tutorials, skill up for a Rifter (and by skill up, I mean that you'll have enough skills by the time you've finished working through the tutorial missions) and start fighting while your inevitable early learning losses are trivially cheap. Even if you do decide that you dont really want a combat-focused game (which is fine, there are plenty of non-combat focused professions in EVE), that PvP awareness will repay your investment over and over and over.

Give me liberty or give me lasers