Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes are gender locked

YamumachaYamumacha Member UncommonPosts: 28

The classes are gender locked. All Warriors and Mages have to be a male charater. All Hunters, Assassins and Musicians have to be a female character.

Just to warn you all before hand, if you plan on playing this game then the odds are you are going to be forced into being a character you don't want to be. There's a good chance you'll have to play a gender you don't want just to be the class you do want, or play as the gender you do want to play a class you don't want.  It's an idiotic decision that restricts players. Infact it just screams laziness, lock the genders and they only have to make one set of animations.

Edit* Just to add in that there is no story reason given for locking the classes, no character has anything unique for there to be a reason to be locked by gender. They just locked it.

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• YamumachaYamumacha Member UncommonPosts: 28

Comparing a single player game to an mmo, really?

It's nothing to do with being sexually insecure, it's about wanting to play the role you want to play. Not being forced into roles you don't want. Isn't that part of what mmo's are all about? Playing as the character you wish it to be.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

As a female I get annoyed when I have to play a dude. Can't help it, it's just the way I am.

I can understand gender-locking a WW2 video game or something, but it even bothers me in counterstrike. I'd prefer to play as the gender I am.

Just my 2¢.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Yamumacha

It's nothing to do with being sexually insecure, it's about wanting to play the role you want to play. Not being forced into roles you don't want. Isn't that part of what mmo's are all about? Playing as the character you wish it to be.

Ok fine, then I'll ask the question, what is the big difference?

Suppose an mmo had a class like the "Amazons". Do you expect that there should be Male Amazons?

I would agree with you that being forced t play a class that is locked to a certain sex where the class is a mundane, generic class is pretty silly.

But I can easily see classes locked into sex if there is a story reason for it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Exactly, it makes sense gender locking ina game that makes sense but, in an mmo? I'm a guy, I want to play as a male character, I don't however want to have to play a class I dislike jus to be the gender I want to play as. And forcing me into being a gender I don't want to be to play the class I do want is just wrong. The same applies for most others. What happened to creating your own character, making your own story.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Ok fine, then I'll ask the question, what is the big difference?

Suppose an mmo had a class like the "Amazons". Do you expect that there should be Male Amazons?

I would agree with you that being forced t play a class that is locked to a certain sex where the class is a mundane, generic class is pretty silly.

But I can easily see classes locked into sex if there is a story reason for it.

You see if it was Amazon, that would be perfectly understandable and I would agree completely. However, they've given no such reason for gender locking in this game. There's no story reason, they've simply just locked them.

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

I like to play both male and female characters so this doesn't bother me so much. It's just nice to have the freedom to choose.

• LeviticusLeviticus Member Posts: 20

If DragonSoul is gender locked I won't be playing it. I don't want to play as a gender I don't want to be and I don't want to be forced to play as a class I don't want to be just to be the gender I want.

Seriously, you must be really new to playing video games if something like this upsets you. Next you will be complaining that you don't get to play as animals or trees, right?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Nope.Just against gender locked characters.

Is it hard for you to pretend that the character you are playing is the sex you want it to be? Would it be easier if it was a big furry character that you couldn't tell what sex you were playing regardless? Would you refuse to play Mrs. Pacman because the giant mouth has a bowtie on it's head?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Palebane

Is it hard for you to pretend that the character you are playing is the sex you want it to be? Would it be easier if it was a big furry character that you couldn't tell what sex you were playing regardless? Would you refuse to play Mrs. Pacman because the giant mouth has a bowtie on it's head?

perhaps their worried that if they play a female character they'll start getting the urge to wear a dress and buy pink stuff....

It's nothing about that.I just want to play as something I want.Not as something I am forced to play as.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Leviticus

It's nothing about that.I just want to play as something I want.Not as something I am forced to play as.

but it does worry you doesnt it image

Doesn't worry me.Why would it?But I am not playing a game as something I don't want to be.

Doesn't worry me.Why would it?But I am not playing a game as something I don't want to be.

No male assassin is what you are upset about?

Male archer.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Gender locks don't really bother me, but usually gender lock games seem to suck, mmos at least.

Also, it's more of a customization thing. Sometimes I play male characters, other times female so thats not really a concern, it's just that I love having a lot of customization and it's silly not even to allow whichever gender you want.  What if some female player wanted to have a tough warroir type character, or a male wanted a healing male character, it's just pointless to restrict it. Somtimes it's for story purposes, but a lot of times it's not.

Male archer.

I do sympathize with you, Leviticus. I am largely playing devil's advocate, so I hope you aren't taking my arguments personally. I want to play a Troll Shadowknight (gender is barely discernable), but there is only one game that has those. So if I was to follow your philosophy, the only game I could ever play is Everquest?

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Gender locks don't really bother me, but usually gender lock games seem to suck, mmos at least.

Also, it's more of a customization thing. Sometimes I play male characters, other times female so thats not really a concern, it's just that I love having a lot of customization and it's silly not even to allow whichever gender you want.  What if some female player wanted to have a tough warroir type character, or a male wanted a healing male character, it's just pointless to restrict it. Somtimes it's for story purposes, but a lot of times it's not.

What I hate the most is they give so much choice in gameplay. We can pick between 8 kingdoms, different maps, lots of different gear, lots of different mounts and then they do something so stupid like not giving us a choice of the gender we want to play.

No male assassin is what you are upset about? I want to play a Troll Shadowknight, but there is only one game that has those. So if I was to follow your philosophy, the only game I could ever play is Everquest?

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive and insulting over it? You're also hardly comparing the same thing. You're comparing a unique class in a specific game to a gender. We understand gender locking if there is a reason for it, if there is a purpose and story to it. But there isn't, they've simply locked it for no reason whatsoever. They are limiting choices and giving us silly restrictions for no reason. All we're asking for is to be able to pick the gender we want for the classes they've made. It's not exactly a huge demand is it? It's what one would expect to be a standard feature.

No male assassin is what you are upset about? I want to play a Troll Shadowknight, but there is only one game that has those. So if I was to follow your philosophy, the only game I could ever play is Everquest?

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive and insulting over it? You're also hardly comparing the same thing. You're comparing a unique class in a specific game to a gender. We understand gender locking if there is a reason for it, if there is a purpose and story to it. But there isn't, they've simply locked it for no reason whatsoever. They are limiting choices and giving us silly restrictions for no reason. All we're asking for is to be able to pick the gender we want for the classes they've made. It's not exactly a huge demand is it? It's what one would expect to be a standard feature.

I'm not trying to be rude. I do sympathize with both of you. I just think it's silly to be in a tizzy over something that can largely be overlooked by even a small imagination. If you guys were complaining that there were only 5 classes available, I can understand that, but being upset that the one you want doesn't come in the gender you want, is like complaining that the skin color is not exactly how you like it, to me.

I'm not trying to be rude. I do sympathize with both of you. I just think it's silly to be in a tizzy over something that can largely be overlooked by even a small imagination. If you guys were complaining that there were only 5 classes available, I can understand that, but being upset that the one you want doesn't come in the gender you want, is like complaining that the skin color is not exactly how you like it, to me.

Yes it can be overlooked.But why should we overlook it?It's a basic feature that lots of people expect.This is restricting our freedom to choose what we want.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Woops, got my wires crossed. Ignore.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

Diablo 2 did the same thing and it turned out just fine. What is the problem? Unless you are that sexually insecure you can't play a character that is not the same sex as you.

Yeah, buddy. You're not trying to be rude at all.

Gender-locking is idiotic. I'm not "sexually insecure", but I absolutely despise playing as a female character. I want to actually see the armor on my body. I hate working hard for a set of armor, just to see that the finished product has left me with 2 inches of plate and thin leather straps. It really comes down to the developers being lazy, just as... someone said earlier. Of course, I enjoy an older D&D mentality. Any one can do any thing. Restrictions in general are ridiculous!