Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Game Addiction

Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

I posted this in the thread called "5 Creepy Ways Video Games Are Trying to Get You Addicted" found here

...but thought it might be interesting to the community at large also.

Video Game Addiction with Psychotherapist Shavaun Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U1T9ZumALk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY2sdr5QOzA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoDLN6gGd_g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esJi4YfGKyk&feature=related

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Replace video game addiction with comic book

Replace comic book with TV

replace TV with rock music

replace rock music with internet

replace internet with video games

This is nothing new. each time a new media format establishes itself and becomes popular, there is always a group of people not too far behind it trying to limit access/rid the world of it. 

You will always have people who are unable/unwilling to control whatever desires they have therefore becoming the poster child of whatever addiciton is the latest craze.

move along.

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

I think you had a typo... Move alone  should be Move along.

Only reason why I bring it up is because the sincerity of it all. Most people that play video games all the time do not move along, they move alone.  

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by duelkore

Only reason why I bring it up is because the sincerity of it all. Most people that play video games all the time do not move along, they move alone.  

fixed, but after considering your post, i may have to change it back

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by duelkore

For good reason, internet-based media gives users a unique feel for how useless the rest of this species really is.

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

Lol! I remember that cracked.com article! When I was reading it, I remembered my old psychology class lessons back at college. That was when I figured out "HEY!! So we really CAN apply what we're studying!!" XD

B.F. Skinner was really cool. Classical or Operant Conditioning is a VERY useful thing to learn.

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Isn't learning about video game addiction from a person who makes money off of claiming to have a cure for video game addiction a little bit like learning about cancer from a person who makes money off of claiming to have a cure for cancer? This is about as far as you could possibly get from an unbiased source.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

Replace video game addiction with comic book

Replace comic book with TV

replace TV with rock music

replace rock music with internet

replace internet with video games

This is nothing new. each time a new media format establishes itself and becomes popular, there is always a group of people not too far behind it trying to limit access/rid the world of it. 

You will always have people who are unable/unwilling to control whatever desires they have therefore becoming the poster child of whatever addiciton is the latest craze.

Nobody is trying to limit access to MMOs, we're just pointing out that lots of people take a hobby to absurdly unhealthy levels, then sit around and whine about how unfair it is that anyone points that out.

Some of us just point out the inherent irrationality of playing a game that they claim to hate, but just can't give up and we're absolutely correct in doing so.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None