Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help Choosing a Monitor.

drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Hey I recently got a new computer and have been using a 32" Samsung TV as the monitor, it looks great and works well but its hard on my eyes and its a tad to big (when I play FPS its hard because I can't focus on the whole screen since its so large). Also my sisters getting married so I figured giving them the TV would be a good wedding gift.

So what I'm looking for is a 1080p monitor, LED, 27", and around or under 400 USD. I was looking at FRY's and I found a couple that looks decent, but I could use some input as I don't really know too much about monitors.

Here where the ones I was looking at:

http://www.frys.com/product/6434762?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/6486132?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also would monitors at retail (FRY's, Bestbuy, Walmart, etc) be overpriced compared to a site like Newegg?

Comments

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Wow just found the same monitor I linked above about $60 cheaper at newegg, seems like I'll be getting one from them. Still need some advice though.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

What games do you play and what video card do you have.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

I mainly play FPS now and some RPGs, I have a GTX 580 so I suppose I could go for a higher resolution than 1080p but I don't want to spend $800+ on the monitor.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Samsung makes the best screens, Sony and Philips are great as well. 

I would go for this one (assuming you prefer that retailer): http://www.frys.com/product/6271620?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

You can get some nice Samsung monitors from Amazon at quite cheap prices. Take a look here

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+monitor&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+monitor+27&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asamsung+monitor+27

I recently got a Samsung 1080p HD monitor and it is excellent so would thorougly recommend them.

Originally posted by drakes821

I mainly play FPS now and some RPGs, I have a GTX 580 so I suppose I could go for a higher resolution than 1080p but I don't want to spend $800+ on the monitor.

Well then for the $400 price range if you can pay little extra I would go for this LG http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005237

Edit: Had to go with the LG over Samsung, didn't see that the 14ms response on the LG wasn't listed as GTG which means it's still fast and should be a better quality panel if it's rated to begin with at this range because most IPS panels are this response time and the view angles most people are saying puts it in that area of a IPS panel, but the price range makes no sense to me. It should be a 900+ dollar monitor then. Anyway the reviews on it are great and no lag reported for the response time it does have. Grab it while it's good man.

LG is also a great monitor, some the best out there but most LG monitors in this size range have a slower response time. The Samsung is a 2ms GTG response time which is what you want for FPS type games and any game or movie with fast action.

I would recommend stay away from Philips monitors at any price screen size range till they can perform as good as a Samsung or LG in color and contrast and response times. They offer nice monitors but not as nearly as good for a gamer that a Samsung or LG offers. Asus is good to but still not as good as the Samsung or LG in this price performance range.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

I'm going to third the recommendation for Samsung monitors.

Sure, all brands make good screens and screens that aren't so great, but I've generally found typical Samsung screens to be a notch above typical screens from other companies. My Samsung 2232GW (22', 1680x1050) was one of my favorite monitors of all time before I started watching a lot of 1080P content and had to replace it. In many respects, it's actually better than the 24' 1080P screen it replaced, so honestly, it's still one of my favorites.

Note, of course, that that quality also means, in many cases, that they're a notch above at least the entry-level screens from other companies in price as well.

On the non-Samsung side of things, I did notice that Newegg had an open box LG screen that fits you pretty well, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005237R

27', 1080P, decent connectivity options (no displayport though), and only $320. Same one the guy above linked, but cheaper (and I've always had luck buying open box from Newegg).

One interesting thing about that monitor is the 14ms refresh time. That sounds awefully slow for a TN panel, though I suspect it's probably just a case of more honest reporting (one can report any response time or contrast ratio one pleases, since how it's measured is 100% up to the company).

EDIT: Reading the reviews of the brand new version, it seems LG has been fairly dishonest about this monitor's specifications. The reviews of the screen itself (what few there are) are still pretty decent, but still. Not even being willing to publish honest specs on a piece of hardware just isn't something that makes me put several hundred dollars worth of faith in a product. I can't find any real reviews of the screen, either.

It's still a sick deal, but I'd be a little leary there, just the same

Originally posted by Catamount

I'm going to third the recommendation for Samsung monitors.

Sure, all brands make good screens and screens that aren't so great, but I've generally found typical Samsung screens to be a notch above typical screens from other companies. My Samsung 2232GW (22', 1680x1050) was one of my favorite monitors of all time before I started watching a lot of 1080P content and had to replace it. In many respects, it's actually better than the 24' 1080P screen it replaced, so honestly, it's still one of my favorites.

Note, of course, that that quality also means, in many cases, that they're a notch above at least the entry-level screens from other companies in price as well.

On the non-Samsung side of things, I did notice that Newegg had an open box LG screen that fits you pretty well, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005237R

27', 1080P, decent connectivity options (no displayport though), and only $320. Same one the guy above linked, but cheaper (and I've always had luck buying open box from Newegg).

One interesting thing about that monitor is the 14ms refresh time. That sounds awefully slow for a TN panel, though I suspect it's probably just a case of more honest reporting (one can report any response time or contrast ratio one pleases, since how it's measured is 100% up to the company).

EDIT: Reading the reviews of the brand new version, it seems LG has been fairly dishonest about this monitor's specifications. The reviews of the screen itself (what few there are) are still pretty decent, but still. Not even being willing to publish honest specs on a piece of hardware just isn't something that makes me put several hundred dollars worth of faith in a product. I can't find any real reviews of the screen, either.

It's still a sick deal, but I'd be a little leary there, just the same

Yeah the 14ms response time wasn't listed as a GTG so speculation it's a new type of ips panel. GTG time on that panel might be anywhere from 4 to 6 and that's still fast enough for any FPS or any fast moving action, plus it has a built in true motion system that allows it to basically act as if it had no lag response, reviewers back it up playing games.

And I just found a sweet thread reviewing this LG. http://www.overclock.net/monitors-displays/995181-updated-lg-e2770v-bf-review-thread.html

Seems my speculation was semi right in that panel was ips but a new type ips panel, still they say it's a TN but the view angles that you get with this LG do not make sense for a TN panel. Also the LG has better color correction then the Samsung at the same price point, which is interesting since most Samsung I ever seen had been wonderful. Look at the screens in that thread comparing the two, id definately keep the LG 27 inch over the Samsung.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by bezado

Yeah the 14ms response time wasn't listed as a GTG so speculation it's a new type of ips panel. GTG time on that panel might be anywhere from 4 to 6 and that's still fast enough for any FPS or any fast moving action, plus it has a built in true motion system that allows it to basically act as if it had no lag response, reviewers back it up playing games.

And I just found a sweet thread reviewing this LG. http://www.overclock.net/monitors-displays/995181-updated-lg-e2770v-bf-review-thread.html

Seems my speculation was semi right in that panel was ips but a new type ips panel, still they say it's a TN but the view angles that you get with this LG do not make sense for a TN panel. Also the LG has better color correction then the Samsung at the same price point, which is interesting since most Samsung I ever seen had been wonderful. Look at the screens in that thread comparing the two, id definately keep the LG 27 inch over the Samsung.

That review states that the panel is a TN panel, not an IPS panel.

Is there some piece of information later down in the thread that contradicts that statement?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

LG makes IPS Panels.  Samsung makes VA Panels.  IPS typically has better picture quality then VA panels.  However, neither panel is in the same price range.  You are looking at TN panels and neither company has a good TN monitor.    Also both Samsung and LG tend to be more expensive then similar monitors that are using panels supplied by them.  Probably to help promote business with these companies.

Out of the top 2 choices I would go with the ASUS because it has a DisplayPort Connector.  DisplayPort is the connector of the future.