Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

trying to dig deeper (need help)

ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

So I'm casually enjoying FFXIV atm, I have to say everything but the UI is great so far. I know I know, a crummy UI is a huge deal haha but trying to look past it. Been doing some crafting, leveling a fighting prof, lots of crafting actually. There's a few "main" storys (or is it just the same one?) I'm following in Limsa Lominsa... looking for a linkshell with no luck so far =D

Ok so now I'm trying to get into the game abit more and even looking thru some online guides some things I just dont get:

1. Market wards. Where are these wards? I mean, there's a special section for markets on the map, but it doesnt show where they are, or how to get there. Is everything done by retainers? I have not looked into retainers yet.

1a. Trade. I see ppl running around with a small "trade pouch" next to their name indicating they have stuff for sale. Is that really how trade is done? I mean, do I really have to stand next to some guy and click "browse", it all seems very clunky.

2. Channels. Are there no channels except linkshell ones? Since I'm not part of a linkshell yet, the only chat I see is from ppl nearby, there just arent any channels it seems.

3. Gear. I'm a level 12 thaumaturge (with lots of crafting jobs) and I havent found a single piece of gear to wear. I'm still in my startergear. I have no abilities to craft actual wearable gear (yet?) and the only thing I've looted so far is starting weapons for other jobs. Also, I cant seem to buy any gear since I cant find any Market (see 1) or npc vendors (there are none?).

I had some more but forgot them for now, I'm sure they'll come back to me as soon as I log on =D Now this is no whine thread, I'm enjoying the game, really. I'd just like some help getting into it even more. I never played FFXI, if that matters =)

Comments

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

So I had some kind of breakthrough this evening when I logged on, everything just seemed to fall in place haha. Found my recipes, got all leves done semi-fast, leveled another combat job and UI and I actually got along quite well for some reason ;)

I still have no idea about market wards and channels tho o_O

• MetzaMetza Member Posts: 160

I havent played in a bit but as far as the market wards go you should just go to where it says the market wards are and into the area and a pop up menu will come up asking you to enter or not and also which section to enter, I do believe the market wards are somewhat divided now so you should be able to go to the one that is mainly for armor and get armor there, gear is no often dropped by monsters and only every now and then will a levequest hook you up with a piece, mainly gear is crafted thats what is supposed to drive the game and why it is viable to play a crafter as your "class" instead of just a side thing.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

1. This page should tell you all you need to know about market wards. They're labeled on the in-game map, but not as market wards; they have names like you would see on a city map.

1a. What you're seeing is people's personal stores. When you're out and about, you can put items in your inventory up for sale or repair. It's far less useful than setting your retainer up in a market ward to sell, but it does have its uses. For example, have a lot of items that need to be repaired by a blacksmith? Put them up for repair in your personal store, then go park your character afk at the Blacksmith's Guild for a few hours. 9/10, everything will be repaired when you come back.

2. You can get the odd piece of gear here and there from leves, but your main source of gear (by far) will be other players, so make sure you either find a good LS or become very familiar with the market wards. For sheer buying/selling potential, Ul'dah is the focal point of the economy on most servers.

3. There are basically four chat types: say, shout, tell, and party. There are no global chat channels of any kind - one of many reasons why finding one or more quality linkshells is important. Emphasis on the plurality of that statement; you're not restricted to just one!

Hope this helps. :)

<3

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

thanks guys, I'm logging on right now to check this out =)

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

I just started playing myself, figuring out the UI etc. I am enjoying the game, just feeling a little too directionless, and the lack of info on how to do things like train skills, where can I find the trainers etc.

Did my first Adventure Guild Leve just fine, but when it comes to crafting the "tutorial" doesn't really tell me how to gather and craft.

One of my leves is asking for a skill called "Lay of the Land" a quest to collect tinder for the innkeeper in Limsa Lominsa. I looked at my abilities (I am a Lancer) and cannot find the skill anywhere. Did shout a couple times in General chat for some help, but no answers.

i looked at the Lodestone website, it's ok, but it doesn't break things down enough atm. Any really good online resources for this game. Anyone have any advice?

not to hijack your thread orm, but after reading it, it looks like you are beginning the game too?

Current Games:

• SzabtomSzabtom Member Posts: 38

Lay of the Land is a Miner skill. You need to buy a Miner's primary tool, equip it (i.e. change class to Miner), and you will get it.