Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just wondering

ZurkisZurkis Member Posts: 4

So I've read too many forum posts from too many people claiming this game to be "Fail" or "Clone". I was wondering If there was anyone out there that Likes the game for what it is, and what it might be in the future.

I myself am looking forward to playing this title. No big hopes or Expectations. Just some plain and simple fun.

Feel free to post with your comments. Good or Bad. Any feedback is welcomed.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i may resub after the first expansion releases, not sure when thats gonna happen... tho i cant stand rolling alts and doing exactly the same as the main toon all over.... i dont complain about endgame cos im a casual player and i enjoy the ride from lvl 1 to lvl cap, not the last drop of the cup

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. So what if it's a close to what WoW is, it's still not WoW. Pretty much most modern MMO's can be compared today anyway.

A lot of people complain about the rate of leveling. Well I've been playing since head start and my highest level is 40 with the next highest being 23. Now I have to say I pretty much only play on weekends anymore but still, I'm not finding the leveling to be overly fast. I also have a little bit of ali-itis going on as I have a toon of each class I mess around with but I still put some time in and I'm not bored.

I'll probably wind up playing this until SWTOR releases, either this or LOTRO, but i find this to be a really fun game.

Try it for yourself there are plenty of key in the key thread for 7 day trials, I have one on there as well if you'd like to try it.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

This site is pretty much a cesspool of misery. Most of the people here have been scorned by other games or are just plain bored to death with the current MMO's available to them. It's really hard to trust ones judgement & opinion on this site simply because you never know if the person giving you the information has a vendetta against the game. Haha.

That being said, I think that RIFT is a good game. Yes, it takes a lot of content straight out of other games and puts it to use, but they put it to use well. There are certainly issues with the game, don't get me wrong but I think it's an incredibly solid foundation for them to expand on.

Pros:

• The game is well polished.

• The DEVs seem to actually believe in their game and listen to their playerbase decently.

• The graphics are good (not the best, but good).

• It has PvP which makes a lot of people happy.

• Tons of classes to mix and match together.

• Crafting is... standard, it could be better, but at least it exists.

• Collecting artifacts & hidden secrets throughout the game world is entertaining and at times quite challenging.

• Character creation has some depth to it. It could be expanded upon.

Cons:

• It needs more races. Enough said. There is simply not enough variety here.

• The continent is kind of small at the end of the day. There is simply not enough to explore, but I feel that this will be addressed in expansions to come.

• Some of the classes are kind of out of wack and need some revamping/love.

• One major city per side is rather boring.

• One starting zone per side is rather boring, and makes it incredibly difficult for replayability.

I mean these are just my very small overview of what I really feel is a great game and one that will become better with age, like a fine wine. I think if you're a fan of 'themepark' MMO's then you shouldn't have too hard of a problem finding your way to enjoying this game.

Good luck with your decision!

(Oh, and I have a shameless plug: I'd love it if you would use my Ascend-a-Friend key - located in my signature!)
  • Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Im lovin it thus far.. I'am half way through my 3rd sub month and i don't see myself unsubbing anytime soon.. It's funny too cuz i'am not even lvl 50 yet, i'am lvl 47 but i hear most people hit it in around 1month lol.. But i've been doing a lot of everything, crafting, artifacts, warfronts, dungeons, LOTS of invasions and Rifts, ect.. I hope by end of this month ill be 50 though so i can see what raiding is all about, i'am really lookin forward to that.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

I just tried it last week and had fun playing.  So I bought the Collectors Edition for 50% off.  I know I will play it for a few months.  I like the story line and the Rift Fights.  Although it is sometimes annoying getting past those rifts when doing quests.

• WarsaurusWarsaurus Member Posts: 37

I Pre-ordered Rift, even took  2 days off school to play a huge 4 day binge at its release. Rift is a traditional themepark MMO, just like WoW. In this regards, it is in fact, excellent in my opinion.  However, I stopped playing after 2-3 weeks.  Not because it's a bad game, but because I'm just worn out with the standard MMO forumla anymore. 

If your looking for a high quality standard MMO that isn't WoW, Rift is definitly for you. It excels in this regard.

If you want something different Rift isn't for you.

(Disclaimer: I'm defining different as in, a completely differing style of play. Rift has cool things WoW doesn't, Rifts for example are awesome, class system is well-done, etc, etc. But it's the same, level, grind for gear, raid, type of game as WoW. Different would be, Darkfall, or Eve, something of a different formula altogether.)

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

It is fun until you hit level cap, then you do the same dungeons over and over again. They have nerfed the tier 2's so they are stupid easy and boring, so for me there is no reason to play. I am not a hardcore player, although more than casual, but everything is too easy from crafting to raids. So i just lost interest. That being said this a great game for casual players, i would highly recomend it for people just looking for a bit a fun.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by Splinki

Pros:

• The DEVs seem to actually believe in their game and listen to their playerbase decently.

• Collecting artifacts & hidden secrets throughout the game world is entertaining and at times quite challenging.

I was with you until that one.  The artifacts game needs a lot of tweeking to make it fun.  In it's current form it's not very entertaining or fun.  It's pretty bothersome having a full artifact set - 1 and 'epicly' finishing it by purchasing it off the auction house because it's a 1/100 chance of looting randomly from a shiny sparkle on the ground.

The game is average, not great, average.  Most MMOs that come out have some of the largest budges possible and they are unfortunately riddled with errors, imbalances and mistakes.  It takes years to make a great MMO and once it's finally all good you make sure to release an expansion that basically resets development.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by troublmaker

Originally posted by Splinki

Pros:

I was with you until that one.  The artifacts game needs a lot of tweeking to make it fun.  In it's current form it's not very entertaining or fun.  It's pretty bothersome having a full artifact set - 1 and 'epicly' finishing it by purchasing it off the auction house because it's a 1/100 chance of looting randomly from a shiny sparkle on the ground.

The game is average, not great, average.  Most MMOs that come out have some of the largest budges possible and they are unfortunately riddled with errors, imbalances and mistakes.  It takes years to make a great MMO and once it's finally all good you make sure to release an expansion that basically resets development.

Yeah, I'll give you that. When you've got one or two left and they're blue or green its a total PITA to have to get and 90% of the time, they aren't even on the AH and if they are, they're like 25p (which I'm certainly not going to pay).

But all-in-all, I actually like the collection system, probably because I love EQ2's collection system and the two are pretty darn similar. So similar in fact that I love SOE for giving out 45 days free (due to their obvious mishaps recently) because it brought me back to that game.