Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tablets

wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

I plan on buying a tablet in a few days but I am really at a lost on which I should get.

I want it for school, web, movies etc  - I need flash so I am kind of swaying toward the Motorolla Xoom or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

but I am open to other choices, I have $800 - $900 to spend.

Comments

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by wesjr

I plan on buying a tablet in a few days but I am really at a lost on which I should get.

I want it for school, web, movies etc  - I need flash so I am kind of swaying toward the Motorolla Xoom or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

but I am open to other choices, I have $800 - $900 to spend.

Well, you're pretty limited with options right now since it's still pretty much the first gen. 

The Galaxy Tab is much better, but it's really really small. It's really not much bigger than a phone. The Xoom is pretty underpowered from what I've seen, but it's still a nice little piece of equipment. 

The HTC Flyer is coming out soon and it's going to have a stylus, which is going to be the future of pads. The Stylus isn't required and one of the major critiizisms about it is that the stylus actually costs $80 EXTRA. It's pretty laggy when you write, but you can write on anything. You can highlight and take notes anywhere, it's really cool. This is the way I feel tha Tabs will be going. 

Personally, I'm going to wait until at least the 2nd or 3rd gen before I really start considering buying one. I feel that tabs are absolutely the future and that everyone is going to eventually have one, just like they do phones. Which will be able to replace alot of paper in our everday lives, but right now they are still underpowered and kinda crappy.... just like the first gen of the touch smart phones. 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Asus Ess Pad

Played with one at FRYS. It rocks, but its Pricey.. And your going to have to wait to buy one, but its the most powerfull one on the market.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I sell Tablets where I work so I've played around with all of the current ones available. You'd spend your money a lot more wisely if you just got a Netbook or small Laptop at this point as all of the current gen Tablets are crap. All of them are just glorified smart phones including the iPad. Even a crap Netbook is about 20 times better than any of the current Tablets. Don't waste your money on one.

Edit: Also almost 3/4 of our display units crapped out on us within a month. Hows that for quality. lol

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

any opinon on the Asus Window 7 tablets?

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by wesjr

any opinon on the Asus Window 7 tablets?

The Asus hardware is top notch... undoubtably the best on the market. The issue here is although I love Windows 7 as an OS it's Touch features leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully Microsoft gets it's act together with Windows 8 where Touch applications are concerned. If not they are going to be left in the dust when the 2nd and 3rd gen Tablets hit the market.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Probably the biggest thing to have in a Tablet right now is a Fusion processor.  Thats not really packed in alot of Tablets right now.  The only good choice is the Acer Iconia W500 at about $550.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

This one is in pretty good shape after all these years. Not bad for endurance, but I think it may be out of your price range. image

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Originally posted by deviliscious

This one is in pretty good shape after all these years. Not bad for endurance, but I think it may be out of your price range. image

I like this one.  Especially the user interface.  Although the processor looks like it's 1st generation technology. image

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

I was gonna say "Go get a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch" but... nevermind.

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."