Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video of guy swimming to an island

heheyhehey Member Posts: 77

As cool as this is, its kind of ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yraYIpxxLoI

"I will Turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

Comments

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

I'm guessing that Russian text translates to "How to use environment to distract from a combat system that looks like it belongs in a Dynasty Warrior game."

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Impressive vid.  I've never seen environment detail like that.

Amazing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

nice...

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

To quote Darth Vader..."Impressive..Most Impressive."

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by hehey

I like that it takes about 5 minutes of swimming to get to the island. It just means boats and other transports will be used extensively, especially for organized group efforts.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Did someone plant a tree underwater?

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

You haven't played many sandboxes, have you?

They try to do things like that. 

Take Wurm Online for instance. You can get anywhere in the world by foot. If you try to swim too far, you'll drown, but you can still get there. But, if you have a boat, you cut that time down significantly. What would have taken over 10hrs, could be as little as 30minutes.

I am really counting on ArcheAge to be the first properly done Sandbox, yet. Proper PVP, Crafting, Social assets, Economy, and most importantly, because it's simply the most left out feature in the current crop of sandbox games, good PVE. 

Ofc, I don't think ArcheAge will hit all these things perfectly, that's just setting myself up for disapointment. But, I think they will come the closest anyone has come yet. 

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Methos12

I like that it takes about 5 minutes of swimming to get to the island. It just means boats and other transports will be used extensively, especially for organized group efforts.

And that is just an island VERY near the continent. The actual ocean is deeper and islands and so on are way way way further apart. Oh and the ocean itself is full of friendly and non friendly creatures like let's say octopuses. :)

The whole game is designed to urge players to use transportation of various kinds and to cooperate with others. J.Song in some interview, I think, did say that he wants to add the "sense of accomplishment" for traveling. The whole ocean and ships stuff IMO, feels a lot like EVE.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

The last 6 months I have played Xsyon and Mortal Online.  After seeing the enviroment of that video it leads me to believe the other games were designed by lazy kids.  I could not find any copy and pasted back drops or scenary like I did all over MO and Xsyon. 

I will try this game out and hope the sandbox elements are of good quality.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Yep, its both badass and silly.

For swimming, you should have a fatigue gauge, and I don't mean one like WoW that magically apears for deep water stuff. I mean as soon as you are swimming and not standing up, you r fatigue slowly starts to drain away, 

In HS, i played as lot of unusual sports...and they hardest one over all was Water Polo....hands down, it kicks your ass. When you cannot ever stop or you will drown, your energy drains...teh water dehydrates you, and you cannot simply stand up and catch your breath...and this is with just a speedo on! 

Long distance water travel needs to be by boat or maybe by characters with swimming skills that are super developed.

Anyways, can't wait to play this game!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Breathtaking scenery, very inspired, that pool was attention to detail on a fantastic scale in an mmo.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

I am actually very interested in this game.  It's a shock most mmo's are just dirt on my shoulder.  

*insert lyric here___

• drean93drean93 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Linkin Park?? :O

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Oh. My. Word!

I just managed to pick my tongue up off the floor and now I can say how amazing that video was.

- had to chuckle at the tree underwater,

- there were waves...unless I'm very much mistaken,

- the water runs down the screen (well it'd symbolise the camera). I'm not sure on the need for that but it was nice,

- those cliffs! The attention to detail and the variation in the lay of the land was like nothing I've never seen in an MMO,

- there were lobsters in the boats pot, and they looked so real and a part of the scene...not just added there by an artist,

- the pier is not just a perfect looking, beautifully built one. It's a mess and looks put together badly and patched up,

Ok, I'm actually only five minutes in and already I have a list of six outstanding points!

- that little pond is beautiful

- the leaves on the trees seem to move individually

- an NPC on horseback?,

- the detail in the moon,

- that shrine!

I am in awe. I am in awe like I truly never have been before.

I could play this game for the rest of my days, without never laying hands on a sword, and be the happiest bunny in all the world. Just exploring that beautiful world would be all I could ever need.

Jake Song you are a genius. Please, please, please bring Archeage to the west. I implore ye!

I'm not hyped...really. image

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • KelSaithKelSaith Member Posts: 12

The engine looks spectacular, very, very impressed. Looks like I may have to learn Korean! image

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

No wonder this game looks so good. It's based on the Cryengine 3, the engine used in Crysis2.

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by twodayslate

I'm guessing that Russian text translates to "How to use environment to distract from a combat system that looks like it belongs in a Dynasty Warrior game."

You mean infinitely better than any shit combat system we have in open world MMOs right now? Really, it's sad that it's taken them this long to get here.

• rudbarrudbar Member Posts: 67

looks great, but i hope theres some fatigue meter for swimming.

Played: SWG-FFXI-EQ2-Aion

Anticipated in order of Hype:
    ArcheAge
    GW2
    TERA
    SWTOR

Not enough info, but looks promising:
    Blade & Soul

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Mmm I dont know, the hair and the clothes are not even getting wet when he swims... looks a bit outdated.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Graphics are nice, but most important part of any game is the gameplay and game-mechanics.

If the animations and textures are not yet polished a hundred percent, then that's nothing to worry about actually, seing that we're atleast another six month away from the game to go into retail... more likely twelve month for NA/EU. So there's plenty of time to care about graphics and they should primarily focus on gameplay and bugs so far. Graphics can be polished even after release without any hassles.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

The world design is amazing. 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

In what way is it ridiculous? I'm really curious to know what is ridiculous to you.

I think seamless map + great engine is just an amazing tool for immersion. Especially for those tht justlike to explore and go have a walk in the world. I don't even understand why most mmo don't use such a mix but still use area loading, its such an outdated and unfitting way to make mmos.

The flora of the engine and the waves are just great.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Swimming animation is pretty damn good.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

looks like runescape