Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After watching many videos on TSW: Gameplay, quest, story, exploration and freedom. I will have to s

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

TSW, Funcom new Sandbox MMORPG in the work is an all around win over all the other new MMORPG that are on the way. After seeing vids on the skill wheel system and hearing about the freedom to build how you want to build your character with over 500 skills and the fact that we for a particular quest, actually have to search up on real history to solve secrets in the game is amazing to me. TSW is the real deal for me and will be for many.

Comments

• pmunkey95pmunkey95 Member UncommonPosts: 31

i agree the new skills system and stuff is going to be nice.

i would say tho the questing may end up like all the others. You look up a 'guide' or quest site to find where to go and it will point a dot on a map where to go.

There will be some that will want to experience the game like it was meant to be.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by pmunkey95

i agree the new skills system and stuff is going to be nice.

i would say tho the questing may end up like all the others. You look up a 'guide' or quest site to find where to go and it will point a dot on a map where to go.

There will be some that will want to experience the game like it was meant to be.

Yeah but most of the quest guide will come from real History, Mythology, Theories, Biblical and Scientific.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

To me, Funcom has one of the absolute worst histories as far as making promises. Dont get me wrong, I like a lot of what I've seen about TSW. They are definitely going down a path that interests me, but because of being burned in the past by them, I'm definitely going to stay distant, and skeptical. If they can pull off everything that they are suggesting, and have it playable at release, it oughta be their best MMO.

(Oh, and Ragnar Tornquist is a great, great, developer, I've always loved his ideas, and I dont think he gets the credit that he deserves.)

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by slim26

TSW, Funcom new Sandbox MMORPG in the work is an all around win over all the other new MMORPG that are on the way. After seeing vids on the skill wheel system and hearing about the freedom to build how you want to build your character with over 500 skills and the fact that we for a particular quest, actually have to search up on real history to solve secrets in the game is amazing to me. TSW is the real deal for me and will be for many.

IDK man. I don't think a game can be a winner with just good combat. I don't know this skill wheel system. But TOR is brining epic story. And I just can't see how TSW will compete against that.

Originally posted by nomss

IDK man. I don't think a game can be a winner with just good combat. I don't know this skill wheel system. But TOR is brining epic story. And I just can't see how TSW will compete against that.

OH I am not saying the other MMORPG wont be good, I am just saying that we just may have a huge epic sandbox game on the way that is base off real stuff from the passed, present or even the future of our time.

TSW and ArcheAge is on my watch list.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by nomss

OH I am not saying the other MMORPG wont be good, I am just saying that we just may have a huge epic sandbox game on the way that is base off real stuff from the passed, present or even the future of our time.

IDK what's this sandbox? Is TSW really sandbox?

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

First, I'm really excited for this game.

Second, the hype their building is no different from anything any other company has built. The question is if they'll deliver as so many haven't.

For instance, given their real-world mythos, players will expect a lot of content/quests whatever. It's kind of like DCUO, there's so much backstory that even the less-informed know that they really really need to build on it.

I wouldn't dare assume TSW world will be anything near the size of the world lol but I'm hoping the cities and landmarks are spaced properly even if some form of travel is used to get point to point so that more content can be added. There's so much from history that can provide more for expansions too. It really is exciting.

Still, so much of TSW is so secret still.

Plus there's some conspiracies that are so part of our culture, they have to pay respect to them. It will be exciting, for instance, (if we get to), to visit the grassy knoll, area 51, etc etc etc.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Well, clearly you have access to a lot of info the rest of us don't - because there is actually very little real information out there about this game.

Sure they do interviews about the proposed features - but proposed is very different to "in game and playable".

Look - don't take me as a 'hater' (if that's the way you look at it) but be realistic.  Look at the actual confirmed stuff that has been released.  There is surprisingly little.  A lot of the stuff in the 'updates' is old material recycled and viewed from a slightly different perspective.

A lot of the lore looks good - but that just suggests an excellent research department.  The question is - can the art, animation, design and programming departments get it in game?

So, call me a sceptic, wait and see.

TSW and Funcom are not the first MMO and Dev company to come up with excellent ideas that look good on paper.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Ahh, Funcom and their promo videos.  You know, they did have some great promo videos leading up to AoC's release also.  Exciting as a matter 'o fact from what I recall.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• CrowM59CrowM59 Member Posts: 6

... it will just be another sad copy of WoW washed away in a few years.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Warmaker

Ahh, Funcom and their promo videos.  You know, they did have some great promo videos leading up to AoC's release also.  Exciting as a matter 'o fact from what I recall.

Yes they are quite good.  They sure do spend a lot of time and money on them.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I like tangential learning in games, but I don't particularly care to have a system that emphasizes on out of game research.

• FaremFarem Member UncommonPosts: 49

The Secret World is not a Sandbox MMORPG. It may have no classes and levels, but in order for it to be considered a sandbox, the game would have to allow players to permanently effect the world in some way or another. The Secret World does not let you do that.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I wouldn't say that TSW is a sandbox MMO, but neither is it a real themepark MMO.

If I had to describe it based on the info so far, I'd say it's an adventure/mystery (or puzzle/adventure) MMORPG, where the mystery and puzzle part, the Investigation missions, is optional and alternative content.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

If we should have learned one thing about Funcom from AoC, then it is that most of the pre-release hyped features won't make it into the final version.

Funcom is just not able to deliver.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

The concepts of TSW had me kinda interested. Then I saw a gameplay video and it just looked meh to me. The animations didn't look that great and the attacks didn't look like they had any impact.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by VoIgore

If we should have learned one thing about Funcom from AoC, then it is that most of the pre-release hyped features won't make it into the final version.

Funcom is just not able to deliver.

Old news image.  Maybe you got burnt and hurt to the point of holding a years long grudge regarding AoC for crushed dreams and expectations or whatever, but they have released quite some interesting games, I myself enjoyed Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and AoC quite a lot.

I think if we have learnt one thing over the years, then it's that (some) MMO gamers can hold a grudge and get in a hissy fit for years to the point of sheer unreasonability. And this often for a game, a mere 50-60 dollars spent years ago.

Originally posted by romanator0

The concepts of TSW had me kinda interested. Then I saw a gameplay video and it just looked meh to me. The animations didn't look that great and the attacks didn't look like they had any impact.

I have my doubts whether those are the endstage graphics and animations. I already saw some improvements in later videos like the most recent one (for that matter, I also saw improvements in GW2's character graphics compared with 1-1.5 years ago), and AoC's graphics and animations I still hold as one of the best in the MMO genre, imo only beaten by Aion's subtle and detailed character animation.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."