Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Hybrid F2P Q&A with Craig Morrison

1235»

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by zellmer

As Everquest 2 showed, a bad game that's suffereing severely diminished numbers will not be saved with this business model..

As Lotro showed, a good game that is re-launched with a solid f2p foundation will be saved with this business model..

• ThunderThunder Member UncommonPosts: 15

I never played any f2p pay for content / items MMORPGs and never will. When LOTRO became f2p I finally uninstalled it for good.  It is just wrong and kills any immersion about world.

"I am legendary elf from Rivendell and when I want to enter Moria I have to pay with my CC". LMAO.

**** this system. As someone already posted there are only 3 MMORPGs worth to play atm WoW (thats still getting more and more ****ed up by Blizzard), EVE Online (that is still getting better and better but is not your typical mmorpg :( ) and RIFT.

Dark Age Of Camelot - Gareth - Alderienne (keen eldritch)

Originally posted by Thunder

I never played any f2p pay for content / items MMORPGs and never will. When LOTRO became f2p I finally uninstalled it for good.  It is just wrong and kills any immersion about world.

"I am legendary elf from Rivendell and when I want to enter Moria I have to pay with my CC". LMAO.

**** this system. As someone already posted there are only 3 MMORPGs worth to play atm WoW (thats still getting more and more ****ed up by Blizzard), EVE Online (that is still getting better and better but is not your typical mmorpg :( ) and RIFT.

Lotro is better than it ever has been. besides, what are you going to play when they ALL go f2p?

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

If you have a competitive PvP game like Age of Conan, the free-to-pay model is a horrible mistake.  People play games to escape reality, and let's face it -- the people who want to escape the most are those who are NOT wealthy.  Bringing the wallet into the game means skill no longer matters, as those who win in real life now buy their way to the top in your game world too.

In a purely PvE game, it doesn't really matter.  In those cases, I don't care if some rich kid gets all the uber gear ahead of everyone else.  The only circumstances where f2p sucks for PvE games is where items are ONLY available via the cash shop.  Last I knew, LOTRO allowed you to get everything via in-game mechanics, and the cash shop just let you get there faster or easier.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by quixadhal

Last I knew, LOTRO allowed you to get everything via in-game mechanics, and the cash shop just let you get there faster or easier.

This is how turbine announces their f2p crap. Unfortunately there is this permanent "enter ths shop now"-advertisement everywhere on the screen. And as you cannot get everything ingame they gave their "premium" subscribers "free" points to spent in the shop.

Yeah, that's the immersive world of f2p... Goodbye aoc, we will never meet again.

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Finally! I've been waiting for this since day 1. Thanks funcom for making a wise choice! See you all in the game.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

If you have a competitive PvP game like Age of Conan, the free-to-pay model is a horrible mistake.  People play games to escape reality, and let's face it -- the people who want to escape the most are those who are NOT wealthy.  Bringing the wallet into the game means skill no longer matters, as those who win in real life now buy their way to the top in your game world too.

In a purely PvE game, it doesn't really matter.  In those cases, I don't care if some rich kid gets all the uber gear ahead of everyone else.  The only circumstances where f2p sucks for PvE games is where items are ONLY available via the cash shop.  Last I knew, LOTRO allowed you to get everything via in-game mechanics, and the cash shop just let you get there faster or easier.

There's absolutely nothing that you could say was "competitive" in AoC pvp. All you have is some guys farming rocks and denying others by numbers, from farming said rocks to gain PvP levels. They even removed Premades from the game few months back.

AoC has been a PvE game for many years now, granted, the quality of PvE is rubbish, like one would expect from such a company, but still. I love the way they gate raids by creating content, that can't be conquered, then don't even change it in a timely manner.

If FC's way of F2P goes through, every single F2P player is going to be a free punching bag to old subs who kept AA's. AoC is already boring @max lvl content, so I wonder how they mean to keep said F2P guys in the game when there's been a major problem to keep people playing after 80 in the first place.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Rawiz

There's absolutely nothing that you could say was "competitive" in AoC pvp. All you have is some guys farming rocks and denying others by numbers, from farming said rocks to gain PvP levels.

AoC has been a PvE game for many years now, granted, the quality of PvE is rubbish, like one would expect from such a company, but still. I love the way they gate raids by creating content, that can't be conquered, then don't even change it in a timely manner.

If FC's way of F2P goes through, every single F2P player is going to be a free punching bag to old subs who kept AA's. AoC is already boring @max lvl content, so I wonder how they mean to keep said F2P guys in the game when there's been a major problem to keep people playing after 80 in the first place.

Flawed arguments. The whole 'farming rocks' thing only exists since Bori and that was implemented April 2010. Before that, pvp was lively and engaging in sieges, minigames and places like Kheshatta.

As for the PvE, personal tastes can differ, true, but I think you'll find many players who'll disagree with you who did find the PvE fun and interesting. It's one of the MMO's where I enjoyed leveling most.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

There's absolutely nothing that you could say was "competitive" in AoC pvp. All you have is some guys farming rocks and denying others by numbers, from farming said rocks to gain PvP levels.

Flawed arguments. The whole 'farming rocks' thing only exists since Bori and that was implemented April 2010. Before that, pvp was lively and engaging in sieges, minigames and places like Kheshatta.

As for the PvE, personal tastes can differ, true, but I think you'll find many players who'll disagree with you who did find the PvE fun and interesting. It's one of the MMO's where I enjoyed leveling most.

"Flawed arguments"? The best way to get top notch PvP gear is to farm rocks. That's a fact. I'd like to see you argue it in totally flawless argument. We are also not living in a "memory lane" where sieges (lol, no one even mentions them anymore) actually had a true purpose, now all we got is ghost sieging complaints. Minigames have been made all out slugging matches with no strategy on either side, just random pugs. Kheshetta was very cool back in the day, however since there's absolutely no real goal to be there, why would anyone try to PvP there now? Its a lot easier to farm rocks.

Sorry, where exactly did I say leveling is total suckage in AoC? As far as I know, AoC is an MMO (or pretends hard to be one), MMO's are also notorious of the fact that max level is when the true game begins. Getting there is just one small part of the journey.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

******* AoC is already boring @max lvl content, so I wonder how they mean to keep said F2P guys in the game when there's been a major problem to keep people playing after 80 in the first place. ******* <- ding ding ding

and you just pretty much described the problem almost all major MMO"s (and upcoming MMO's) face.   Yet everyone thinks changing the subscription model is the solution!!!  As opposed to finding a way to get people to be willing to keep playing....

Its like *big hint* if I am not willing to pay to play the "end game" then making it free won't make me log in either .. so that big shiney cash shop isn't going to be hearing much *ka ching*

"Flawed arguments"? The best way to get top notch PvP gear is to farm rocks. That's a fact. I'd like to see you argue it in totally flawless argument. We are also not living in a "memory lane" where sieges (lol, no one even mentions them anymore) actually had a true purpose, now all we got is ghost sieging complaints. Minigames have been made all out slugging matches with no strategy on either side, just random pugs. Kheshetta was very cool back in the day, however since there's absolutely no real goal to be there, why would anyone try to PvP there now? Its a lot easier to farm rocks.

Like I said, farming rocks is only something that happened since April 2010, before that you earned PvP xp the hard way. The same as it will be on the Blood & Glory hardcore pvp server.

Sorry, where exactly did I say leveling is total suckage in AoC? As far as I know, AoC is an MMO (or pretends hard to be one), MMO's are also notorious of the fact that max level is when the true game begins. Getting there is just one small part of the journey.

You said PvE sucked, leveling is part of PvE. In fact, quite some MMO gamers consider that the journey (of the leveling) more important and interesting in MMO's than the destination (the level cap content). As for the raids and dungeons, they're not on the level of a WoW, but the Khitai dungeons sure were a lot of fun, which is a main criterium for PvE content.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• goldenkeygoldenkey Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by fivoroth

Originally posted by Manestream

and then all the free players discover the game is not free, would have cost alot less than a monthly fee did and then vacate the game once again, however this time the monthly fee subscribers will also leave.

How can it cost more? If you want to pay a sub, you can always pay for premium and get access to everything.

AoC is not doing well at all. And there is no hope that the game will pick up. So they try something new to revitalise their game. So they have 2 options:

1. Change nothing. Their game remains unsuccessful with 100% certainty.

2. Change to this new model. Two outcomes. New model fails and it doesn't get too many new players. Or it can attract tons of new players and actually become much more profitable.

A 100% fail situation or ?% that your game may turn out to be a success. I don't think you even need to think twice about this.

Wow what people don't know there was a study's done on this and on avarage people that play a mmo consistantly will pay more on a monthly basis for a f2p game vers a P2p. It works out to $20 to $25 for f2p and $15 for p2p. The reason is the game shops are priced so when you buy all the stuff you get for a flat rate in a p2p game you have ot spend more. Why do you think Tribines earning are up so much sense LOTRO went f2p. Now if you are only going to play a few hours a week then the f2p model will be cheeper

Like I said, farming rocks is only something that happened since April 2010, before that you earned PvP xp the hard way. The same as it will be on the Blood & Glory hardcore pvp server.

You said PvE sucked, leveling is part of PvE. In fact, quite some MMO gamers consider that the journey (of the leveling) more important and interesting in MMO's than the destination (the level cap content). As for the raids and dungeons, they're not on the level of a WoW, but the Khitai dungeons sure were a lot of fun, which is a main criterium for PvE content.

Oh yea, the server that was announced to be added in may 2011. Let's see when that actually happens. Also as far as I know, Bori is included in the "new" server (that has all the AoC pvp problems carried into it). A new server solves nothing, by the way, there's a lot deeper problems in AoC pvp than that. Few examples: CC balance, Rangers, combo skipping, stamina bugs, and oh so many more.

I said PvE sucked, if you wish to argue that, then let's just retract that statement and say ENDGAME SUCKS. Leveling is actually a lot of fun, unless you'd like to see people while leveling.

The Blood & Glory server will be opened at the same as AoC foes F2P or near that date, and I'm pretty sure about it that Bori won't be part of it, next to that there will be some other changes and differences from the common pvp servers as well.

The Blood & Glory server will be opened at the same as AoC foes F2P or near that date, and I'm pretty sure about it that Bori won't be part of it, next to that there will be some other changes and differences from the common pvp servers as well.

Do you have a link to recent additions to this new server? I'd really like to see some facts, that PvP issues would be solved for it. As far as I know, even if Bori doesn't get enabled on it, there's a lot of other issues to be solved prior to its release.

About the release that coincide with the F2P move, I read that in a Q&A interview from last week. An official ruleset for the new hardcore PvP server hasn't been released yet, so far they've held a number of polls regarding several things (see EU and US official forum, PvP section), and Bori was voted against with more than 90%. There's no use opening a new hardcore PvP server if most PvP'ers won't come anyway if Bori is included.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Velocinox

The game really hasn't come a long way. It is pretty much the same as it was when it launched with Khitai tacked on. The bugs, the clunky terrain and movement, the hit and miss challenge levels, the lack of class balance, right down to foundational mechanics such as male and female bear shaman have different attack vallues and finishing move cancels, not because the designers wanted it that way, but because the animations for the two sexes make them different. This is corner cutting in the worst sense.

I just re-upped and found that nothing had been fixed, just some class changes (some getting heavy aromor they always should have had) and some content additions. It's the same with a lot of failed MMOs, sure they launched on a bad foundation, but if they just add enough floors to the building. it won't collapse... nonsense. Fix the foundation folks, it will make it a great game.

I played AoC until DFO came out. All the bugs were squashed by the time I left. Either you have a crappy computer, or you haven;t played the game since release. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Anyone that says "all there is to do at end game is gear grind" hasn't been paying attention to MMOs. Thats all themparks offer at end game: gear grind and rep grind. The only expections tend to be sandbox games. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ThunderThunder Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Lotro is better than it ever has been. besides, what are you going to play when they ALL go f2p?

Nothing. I will rather "play" real life or single player games that wont advertise me some s**t I that I should buy straight from login screen.

I have no problem paying monthly fee for MMORPG as long as it is fun and developer delivers new content. I dont mind using credit system on my cellphone but I am not willing to pay cash for special items and content in VIRTUAL world that should be available to everyone under same conditions. That is reason why Asian F2P mmorpgs sucks but well... world is changing and maybe people want it and times when we played Ultima Online (that was most complex sandbox MMORPG) for fun and immersion are gone forever.

Dark Age Of Camelot - Gareth - Alderienne (keen eldritch)

world is changing and maybe people want it and times when we played Ultima Online (that was most complex sandbox MMORPG) for fun and immersion are gone forever.

I don't think we will ever see games like that be popular ever again. We didn't have many choices back in the day, so people plyed what they could. With the ever growing MMO market, people now have so many options that they will more than likely play easy mode games instead of the sandbox games that most of the older gamers love. Devs won't waste money keeping us happy just so they can lose subs to the younger generation.

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

I do love this game, though it's not 100% worth the $15 a month that it is... They will def. have me back!

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

I was really excited about this game till I found out there is no chat for free players? Whaaaat?