Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

problem installing win7 and winxp

earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

I have sabertooth p67 with E bios

ok first of all when i go to install winxp , i have the recovery disk that dosnt need key with sp3 already on  , that do complete erase of the hard drive, i get BSOD

second when i burn an original image of win7 64bit that i got from MSDN(MSDN Academic Alliance: Online Software System) from my uni it does just not boot - i use imgburn ,  nero , the burn function that windows 7 32bit i have and nothing ,is there a way to burn them so they boot - i use verbatin  , also on nero it says that  i need to burn it in UDF and if it is more than  2 GB

can you create an instalation of win 7 64bit from a usb  in a win 7 32bit?

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Try go into the Bios and check that it will boot from the DVD player first and HD second.

The original version of any Windows disk is bootable. Either is something wrong in Bios, with your hardware or the disc.

Hope that helps.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by earth2011

ok first of all when i go to install winxp - i have the recovery disk that dosnt need key with sp3 already on  - that do complete erase of the hard drive-

i get BSOD

second when i burn an original image of win7 64bit that i got from MSDN(MSDN Academic Alliance: Online Software System) from my uni it does just not boot - i use imgburn - nero , the burn function that windows 7 32bit i have and nothing - is there a way to burn them so they boot - i use verbatin

Thanks for the advice

I feel your pain, and I'm not an expert. However, you can copy a bootable version of W7 64 to a USB from a XP or W7 32 environment because I have done it. I used a bootable iso. It wasn't easy and I did have problems. I solved them by using partition magic to reformat the HD to a different file system.  I was going from XP 32  to W7 64.

Hope this helps, it's not expert advice but is what happen to me.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If you've got the hard drive set to AHCI mode rather than IDE, that might prevent Windows XP from installing.

• earth2011earth2011 Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by qazyman

Originally posted by earth2011

ok first of all when i go to install winxp - i have the recovery disk that dosnt need key with sp3 already on  - that do complete erase of the hard drive-

i get BSOD

second when i burn an original image of win7 64bit that i got from MSDN(MSDN Academic Alliance: Online Software System) from my uni it does just not boot - i use imgburn - nero , the burn function that windows 7 32bit i have and nothing - is there a way to burn them so they boot - i use verbatin

Thanks for the advice

I feel your pain, and I'm not an expert. However, you can copy a bootable version of W7 64 to a USB from a XP or W7 32 environment because I have done it. I used a bootable iso. It wasn't easy and I did have problems. I solved them by using partition magic to reformat the HD to a different file system.  I was going from XP 32  to W7 64.

Hope this helps, it's not expert advice but is what happen to me.

I give it a shot and see if it works cos i bored of burning dvds for nothing

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you've got the hard drive set to AHCI mode rather than IDE, that might prevent Windows XP from installing.

thanks quiz i will change it

• PsycsPsycs Member UncommonPosts: 20

If you are having this much trouble then I would recommend loading Windows Xp and/or Windows 7 onto a 4GB+ flash drive and installing it off of that. You can use tools such as WinToFlash or a simple google search on how to install Windows to a Flash Drive. Almost sounds like you are trying to boot off a nonbootable dvd that you burnt.

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

What specific BSOD error are you getting when you are trying to install XP?  Also, is your dvd burning as bootable, or are you just copying the ISO file to a dvd (not burning it as an image?)

Originally posted by chrisleko

What specific BSOD error are you getting when you are trying to install XP?  Also, is your dvd burning as bootable, or are you just copying the ISO file to a dvd (not burning it as an image?)

both but nothing worked as the other person said i will use a usb to do it

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

There's a link to the Win 7 USB tool on this page http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

You just run it and point it at the image you have of Win 7 and it will set up a USB stick for you.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Found someone with a similar problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288712-30-sabertooth-boot-device-failure

solution:

Ok, So I did get around to flashing the bios last night, but before I did that I was reading through the MOBO manual and came across the option to set all SATA bays to IDE mode... This allowed me to boot my HD's with XP already installed on them. Then finally i was able to install XP with SP 2 on the SSD and update it to Win 7. What a chore. But at least it's done, and I can start updating drivers and checking out some benchmark scores.

I appreciate all the help and advice Jaquith, thanks again.

Are you trying to upgrade to windows 7 without a disk?   If that is the case you can always download the trial and it will recognize your product key and upgrade automatically.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Dont update all the language first do that latest, or you can't update new service pack 1 for win7