Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't we see actual Hair physx?

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Even in Disney movies, we don't see actual hair strands. I saw Dragon Hunters few days ago, all characters hair seemed to be blob of hairs rather than each strand.

Comments

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

It takes ALOT of power and still looks like crap. 

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

What? For real? Why would it look crap? I mean I agree it must take a lot more resources, but would it be more profitable too?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

To get physics applied hair on a per strand basis, you would need a serious rendering engine which would probably include a few processors and AMD professional video cards due to processing many unsophisticated processes.  I have seen it done with a render years ago, but when you are talking about on the scale of several dozen people, you are looking at alot of time.  There are 100k strands on 1 persons head interacting with atleast 100 other forces.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by Cleffy

To get physics applied hair on a per strand basis, you would need a serious rendering engine which would probably include a few processors and AMD professional video cards due to processing many unsophisticated processes.  I have seen it done with a render years ago, but when you are talking about on the scale of several dozen people, you are looking at alot of time.  There are 100k strands on 1 persons head interacting with atleast 100 other forces.

Didn't CCP do it in one of their proof of concept videos?

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Wasn't every hair folicle.  More like locks of hair like what most do.

• Geri_lgfxGeri_lgfx Member Posts: 2

I have writed fake hair phisics back then. But too mutch cpu overhead while transferring the data to GPU, if the game does the anims on CPU. Not worth it in my oppinion.

http://Maker3D.tk - create your 3D RPG's!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Because hair physics would have to include greasy, tangled, and fly away messes that would require you to shampoo daily and brush hourly. Or have a flat top.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Originally posted by pyrofreak

Originally posted by Cleffy

Didn't CCP do it in one of their proof of concept videos?

Linkie.

Not per hair, But awesome.

Linkie 2

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams