Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any AOE fans out there?

RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

Been playing the beta for a while and having a  blast.  AOE is finally back with a new twist on the genre.  Though technically it isn't an mmorpg,  it still is fun.  Just an FYI for all the AOE fans out their that became bummed when esemble studios announced no more AOE's in the future.

http://www.ageofempiresonline.com

-Rig

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)

Comments

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

I don't see it lasting very long. 

It looks like someone in Microsoft said "hey, we got some extra money to blow. Lets make an Evony clone"

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

Not lasting very long? Seriously? The original AOE is still alive and kicking multiplayer wise.  This is still the same basic game model updated to current times. 

-Rig

Originally posted by Rigamortis

Not lasting very long? Seriously? The original AOE is still alive and kicking multiplayer wise.  This is still the same basic game model updated to current times. 

-Rig

Yeah, but those had some serious development time and money put into them. The Online version looks like a cheap cash pit, just to try and turn a few bucks into a few more bucks. There have been lots of games like this (not designed to last long) before. 

Of course, all I have to go by are screenshots and those quick cheap videos. 

Well seeing I have been playing beta since October it definately is not a "cheap cash pit".  Heaven forbid a company actually makes a wait for it................PROFIT for their work.  Do some research and read the blogs on what they are working towards before you generalize an entire generation of gaming.  AOE was / is the most successful RTS of all time,  so obviously they know a little something about game making.

-Rig

Well seeing I have been playing beta since October it definately is not a "cheap cash pit".  Heaven forbid a company actually makes a wait for it................PROFIT for their work.  Do some research and read the blogs on what they are working towards before you generalize an entire generation of gaming.  AOE was / is the most successful RTS of all time,  so obviously they know a little something about game making.

-Rig

Well, the same company isn't making the Online version, if that helps. It's coming from a studio full of lackluster games. Like Dungeon Siege, Supreme Commander, and Demigod. So, I don't think "they" are the poeople you think they are. 

Umm not true.  Robot Entertainment was formed when Esemble studios was disbanded.  Several of the same devs that worked on the original series is working on AOEonline :)

-Rig

Umm not true.  Robot Entertainment was formed when Esemble studios was disbanded.  Several of the same devs that worked on the original series is working on AOEonline :)

-Rig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Powered_Games

I can play the link game as well.  Please do your research before making blanket statements.

http://robotentertainment.com/games/aoeonline

-Rig

I can play the link game as well.  Please do your research before making blanket statements.

http://robotentertainment.com/games/aoeonline

-Rig

Umm... the only thing it says on that page is the publisher. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at?

I give up though. I mean, if you like the game great. But, all I'm saying is that it looks like a cheap knockoff of Evony with the AOE tag stuck on it to make a quick buck. All I'm seeing the game along the same lines as Lego Universe and Star Wars Clone War Adventures. Having "Lego" or "Star Wars" stickers on them, doesn't make them better games. It just makes them games with Lego and Star Wars stickers. 

I'm not trying to fight or anything.... Am I wrong? C'mon, you play it. What makes it different, or sets it apart from the other 100,000 Evony Knockoffs on FB, besides having the AOE tag and MS as a publisher? 

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from baiting one another.

Originally posted by romanator0

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut#p/c/2272A4EE84269E1F/21/u0t8xbAR_UQ

Game seems fine to me.

Heh, my bad. I didn't even think to look for stuff on youtube, since I saw it was closed beta. Usually those are strictly enforced NDAs. Thanks.