Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think if Devs actually read these forums we would of had the best MMORPG by now?

bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Edit: This is for in development games here. This is the ideas and criticism I am talking about and not of released games. The type of ideas and such being on current development games. The point being that we have so many good ideas and what not to include in the development of games on here, what I am asking is do you think if the DEVS read these forums on their games in development and of other in development games, do you think then that they could make one the best mmorpg's.

I believe if all the game developers out there who currently are or going to be making an MMORPG read these forums daily or weekly, then they could create a really nice game. These forums offer the best criticism for upcoming games and reading the other users opinions are and should be held accountable for the future of gaming. It seems these companies only care to make what they think is good, but actually looking at it from a players stand point should be the priority since we are now in a time where the systems are no longer new to anyone.

It's time major companies start getting more involved with it's MMO developers to start reading more from here and actually start reading criticism from current games in production to see what they can do to make them better.

They are for the most part cookie cutter.

I know devs have their own forums for the game they are making for suggestions, but that is for that game only and doesn't really give a whole lot insight to them of the majority.

So what do you guys think, shouldn't we expect better quality by now and attention to our ideas and detail? It's been far to long and far to much criticism and ideas we give but to be ignored. GW2 looks okay, Archeage looks great too but how many times have we seen this before and hyped it to only play at launch to be disappointed in them. I just hope the future of MMORPG's changes for the better, so sick of the cookie cutter ideas designs.

Comments

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I believe that players, generally speaking, have very little idea about good game design.  They know what they like and are good at noticing problems in a game, but are generally horrible at recommending GOOD solutions to those problems.  Certainly this forum has a lot of creative ideas on it, but that doesn't mean those ideas would actually work out well in a game (and certainly even if you magically knew which ideas were good, some good ideas are incompatible with other good ideas and this isn't always readily apparent).

I think a large part of the lack of good MMOs is the fact they are so expensive.  WoW (and to a lesser extent other some other MMOs) make companies realize there is a lot of money to be made.  There are tons of failures and MMO development is expensive, however.  That means businesses will tend towards less risky decisions, since being risky increases the chance of failure (even though lack of risk and creativity is also a real problem in terms of the games coming out, that doesn't mean it is less financially risky to do something that has never been done before).  Bit by bit we are getting more creative ideas, however...it'll just be slower because of the expense of MMOs.

Anyhow, while forums can be helpful sometimes, it is hardly an easy task to find the very rare good ideas in them.

• Cactus-ManCactus-Man Member Posts: 572

There are a lot of people that critisize games but if you read game forums of any sort and find the ideas of the posters it becomes apparent why they are not professional game designers, mostly it is just lists of "things I want in a MMO" or some half baked idea with holes so big you could drive a truck through it.

So I thnik it is best for devs to take all these ideas with a grain of salt.

All men think they're fascinating. In my case, it's justified

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

I think no because well as a group here we don't ever really seem to agree on anyhing.  I mean you could start a thread about what is a sandbox MMO and pretty much every one who answers will add some feature while arguing against some other.  I mean for me it doesn't have to be FFA/PVP but for others thats a core component and any game that doesn't have that couldn't possably be a sandbox.

About all you can really find out here is basicly everyone wants some kind of niche game or some classic server to an old game with updated graphics and as that dead president guy said you can please some of the people most of the time and most of the people some of the time but you can't please everybody all of the time.  What you would end up with is some kind of UO/EQ/DAOC/AC mongrel of a game that would have so many conflicting systems the servers would melt and bury the server hampsters in a pile of molten computer bits before exploding and taking out the powergrid of wherever the servers happened to be stationed.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

The "perfect" MMO is different for every single person.

Besides, we already know what happens when developers listen to the broad playerbase, you get WoW.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

You can knit pick the forums and say yeah lots of people have dumb ideas or opinions. My main point being that these forums offer highly critical criticism and ideas that are great and repeatedly constantly of what a game should have and be. If that is the medium of which they follow then you shouldn't care about bad ideas or whatever as a Developer because they can see the good in those ideas I'm sure.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by Ceridith

Besides, we already know what happens when developers listen to the broad playerbase, you get WoW.

I agree, devs need to use their own ideas and creative a world/game that they are proud of.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

No!

And thats becouse most who whine the most, complain the most and demand the most still playing those games they hate so much ive seen this so many times over last 6 years, so its no use take forums like this any serieus hehe.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

If they read, and listened, they'd produce the most tragically hardcore (and therefore ghost-town-ish) MMORPG ever constructed.

It'd be a lot like Vanguard actually.  A few great ideas, lost amid many very bad ones.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Interesting so far the no responses are mainly due to people thinking there are no good ideas here. Very interesting responses so far.

Please keep in mind guys this is for in development games, the comments ideas criticism I am talking about are those directed towards games in development here, maybe I should edit my post to say that lol. There is plenty good ideas and what not from people on here of in development games.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

If the Devs listened, we would get a game like Daoc. A game with meaningful crafting, and an endgame that doesnt revolve around gear grinding.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by shawn01

If the Devs listened, we would get a game like Daoc. A game with meaningful crafting, and an endgame that doesnt revolve around gear grinding.

I'd certainly like an end of gear grinding.  I don't care for it.  That said, a lot of people like it.

• ajp29ajp29 Member Posts: 35

we would get 0 inovation and have 100 eq and daoc clones.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Drachasor

I believe that players, generally speaking, have very little idea about good game design.  They know what they like and are good at noticing problems in a game, but are generally horrible at recommending GOOD solutions to those problems.  Certainly this forum has a lot of creative ideas on it, but that doesn't mean those ideas would actually work out well in a game (and certainly even if you magically knew which ideas were good, some good ideas are incompatible with other good ideas and this isn't always readily apparent).

First reply, nail on the head, thread over. I'm not even going to read the rest of it.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

If Devs spent lots of time here do you think a perfect MMORPG could of been made by now?

Only if they focused on my posts and ideas... image

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    The perfect MMO will never exist, no game can be everything to everyone. Game Dev's are more or less aware of every idea on these forums, they choose to include some of them and eschew others because they are trying to appeal to the broadest target customer base while efficiently spending their development budgets to bring a profitable MMO to market.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Disdena

Originally posted by Drachasor

First reply, nail on the head, thread over. I'm not even going to read the rest of it.

It isn't even just about the ideas.

Even if players knew a lot about game design they still wouldn't know anything about budgetting.

That full sandbox MMO with 3-faction RvR, a deep crafting system, fully customisable housing, skill-based progression system, player-run economy etc. May cost MUCH more then it will ever realistically earn back. So unless you know a designer who thinks it's a good idea to spend 150 million on something that will earn him back 50 million there's still a huge problem even if the actual idea is good.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

Sturgeon's Law (the popular interpretation): "90% of everything is <censored>"

That said, a LOT of suggestions here are personal preferences, complains/nitpicking, infeasible desires. Meaning, most of them are unusable. 

Still, you CAN get useful stuff here if you know what to look for. You can most likely find trends and stuff while perusing these boards. From what I remember, MMORPGs used to be pure grinding, then quest based, then sandbox (though that's just what I remember from the top of my head).

You can definitely see what players want here, though actually making something that interests them and stands out is something else entirely. If you get most of the suggestions here and make a game based on it, it'd be average at best, unless you do something to set it apart from the rest:

examples:

WoW with its epic story and setting the standard on what MMORPGs should be like,

Prius with it's unique Anima pet System (you don't just level your character... you raise a "child"), 

or Aika Global with its epic 1000vs1000 PvP.

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

No

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Ceridith

This

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

No, the perfect mmo won't run on today's hardware.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

mmorpg is not exactly the best place to get feedback..

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Dev's don't make the decisions. Once MMO's proved to be potentially big money makers the investors took over. Now MMO design is ruled more by marketing analysis than anything else. These people have serious money on the line and they're not going to leave these decisions up to some hairy person in a t-shirt, sandals,  covered in pizza grease and dorito crumbs and the interpersonal skills of a pet rock (sorry for the hackneyed generalization devs, just making a point). And I say that wishing they would leave it up to that person

• SolarTigerSolarTiger Member Posts: 43

Doubtful...since it's easy to be an "arm chair quarterback" here...get knee deep in code and dealing with the "suits" and you would see it's not as easy as it seems to make that killer MMOG

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have a feeling that just reading the forum isn't enough.

Great games are made by gamers for gamers. If the devs actually were allowed to make games for themselves instead of the games the investors think will sell best we would have a lot better games.

I would like if more developers like Garriot actually play pen and paper RPGs on and off, there are so much there that could improve the genre.

A dialogue with the players is very important but that part doesn't start until the players gets to try the game in the beta or possibly in the alpha.

I feel like most of the problem the genre have had in the last few years is because the investors seen how much money Blizzard is makihng and decided that they want a game like Wow as well.

The same thing happens with other stuff as well, when a popstar is selling a lot the other labels hire in a bunch of artists that are almost exact copies of that artist, no matter if we are talking Gaga, Brittney, Madonna or Beatles. But the copies never succed as good as the original.