Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most unique game world

Hi my name is Cao Pi and I'm a new member to this site. I am new to MMO's and haven't really gotten into them yet. I have gotten interested in them lately and have one question that will help me decide which one to play. I love exploring game worlds/areas/zones and therefor I am wondering which MMO has the biggest or most unique gaming world.  If possible I would love to have an MMO with one of the biggest and most unique worlds but if that is not the case with any game than they can be listed as 2 separate categories.

Comments

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Cao_Pi

Hi my name is Cao Pi and I'm a new member to this site. I am new to MMO's and haven't really gotten into them yet. I have gotten interested in them lately and have one question that will help me decide which one to play. I love exploring game worlds/areas/zones and therefor I am wondering which MMO has the biggest or most unique gaming world.  If possible I would love to have an MMO with one of the biggest and most unique worlds but if that is not the case with any game than they can be listed as 2 separate categories.

Welcome to the Forums :)

I would dare to say that what you are looking for is currently non existent (apart from games like Vanguard thats on life support)

i would wait for ArcheAge if you want a huge explroable world, however:

Darkfall: it is a huge, handcrafted world, but its full loot pvp, meaning you lose whatever you carry on you when you die.if you like that, then thats your bet.

Mortal Online: havent played more than a few days of trial, but the same as darkfall, and they are both first person view.

im a bit drunk, im sore more can say things better at the moment :))

and welcome again.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Since you say you have never played one, I would suggest World of Warcraft, everyone needs to try it once.  Play that till Star Wars The Old Republic comes out then jump aboard with the rest of us... WoW will give you a solid foundation on what you can expect from most AAA titles.  I don't play WoW anymore that is merely because I played it for 6 years and to me I don't care how awesome a game is...In the videgame world a MMO is outdated and even the most hardcores move on after 3-4 years. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

Well, for biggest I would have to say, Vangaurd (has a super low population though) EQ2, and WoW.  

As far as uniqueness goes, well EVE is large and its one of the few space flight MMO's on the market, Rift has planar rifts that are kind of unique.  Then there are the superhero games, CoH, Champions and DCUO.

There is another though that might interest you, its a bit old but its supposed to be a large world and its damn unique for sure..Ryzom.  

Also, there are a few pirate games out there namely Pirates of the Burning Sea which are unique but I don't consider them very large scale.

Originally posted by sinjin

Since you say you have never played one, I would suggest World of Warcraft, everyone needs to try it once.  Play that till Star Wars The Old Republic comes out then jump aboard with the rest of us... WoW will give you a solid foundation on what you can expect from most AAA titles.  I don't play WoW anymore that is merely because I played it for 6 years and to me I don't care how awesome a game is...In the videgame world a MMO is outdated and even the most hardcores move on after 3-4 years. 

sadly i would have to agree, WOW is a good place to start, and springboard so to speak, its currently the biggest mmo in terms of subsbriber numbers out there, i think its about 10 million or something, lol :)

forgot you were new to mmos, then skip darkfall and MO, bad advice, WOw or rift for starters id say, and RIFT has some exploration rewards too.

• Cao_PiCao_Pi Member Posts: 5

Thanks everyone for welcoming me so warmly to the forums:). So Vanguard has a pretty nice world then? I guess thats where I want to end up but for now I will listen to all of you and start with WoW. How is EQ1? I know it has tons of expansions so it must be pretty big as well, right? But I did take a look at WoW and it has some interesting locations that look like a lot of fun to explore.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Thanks everyone for welcoming me so warmly to the forums:). So Vanguard has a pretty nice world then? I guess thats where I want to end up but for now I will listen to all of you and start with WoW. How is EQ1? I know it has tons of expansions so it must be pretty big as well, right? But I did take a look at WoW and it has some interesting locations that look like a lot of fun to explore.

After you try WoW you will laugh upon entering Vanguards world with its craptastic graphics and animations...

PS. after  you play WoW you will ultimately looking to join Star Wars The Old Republic, that is where all the cool kids will be. fyi!

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by sinjin

After you try WoW you will laugh upon entering Vanguards world with its craptastic graphics and animations...

PS. after  you play WoW you will ultimately looking to join Star Wars The Old Republic, that is where all the cool kids will be. fyi!

youre welcome Cao.

and Sin, he specifically asked for large explorable unique worlds, vanguard has that, and if you think wow has better animations and gfx than wow, then i suggest you update you machine, i just ran the 14 day trial in vanguard, all maxed, and it looked at least as good as wow, thats for sure.

edit: oh, and i dont think wow looks good, its looks DATED, except for the new water animations, they are pretty good however.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Wel Cao 3.1415 i think Saga of Ryzom and its free also very good sandbox.

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

Looks like everyone above already posted the most recommended ones. For me, though, most MMORPGs, especially Fantasy ones, generally look the same in terms of their maps. There's the forests, deserts, frozen wastelands, swamps, etc. Still, stylistically they do differ greatly. The most impressive ones in my opinion are WoW and Guild Wars since their worlds are expansive and very diverse.

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Yeah....Vanguard has a really...really huge amazing world packed with A.I guided life. It has an interesting combination of class and use-them-to-raise-them skills, great mini-game , semi-involved crafting system and  a unique Diplomacy system in the form of a mini-card game which can open up other quests and options from NPCs. It is such a good game that is primarily ignored by SOE so it retains bugs and other problems. Still I highly recommend it under one condition.....wait til the 45 days of free time for old subscribers is over. Anyone who subscribed to any SOE game at any point in the past was given 45 days of play as a good-will gift for them being shut down due to security compromises. So people are logged into Vanguard that might not otherwise subscribe. You want to try the free trial after this time expires in ...idk...4weeks i think.  That way you can determine if the population under normal circumstances is adequate for your enjoyment of the game.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The most unique game world that I have played was probably Aion. It wasn't my favorite but it is an interesting concept.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Have to say Vanguard is my all time favourite mmo.The only thing that killed it for me was no updates content wise .So i came to the conclusion that if sony were not going to add content then i was not going to pay them for nothing.

Thats not to say there is,nt enough content to go for a few years but 4chars later and pretty much covered every  dungeon including raids,then it becomes rinse and repeat.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Fairly recent article giving measure to ten largest worlds in video games:

http://gamingbolt.com/ten-largest-worlds-in-video-games

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Out of all the suggestions made so far, I think your best bets would be WoW, Vanguard and Ryzom:

WoW: Good 1st MMO, large world, super easy to pick up and progress

Vanguard: Gigantic world, more in-depth than WoW with some unique offerings like diplomacy and deep crafting

Ryzom: Huge world, fantastic animal AI (herding, hunting, curiosity, herd protection, etc), weather effects, seasons, deep harvesting and crafting

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• OpinicusOpinicus Member UncommonPosts: 34

Lotro (Lord of the ring online) has a big world to explore and is free for the most part.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

I was going to suggest Ryzom, but people have done that already

re: EQ1 (since it was asked) -- Yes, the world is huge, but it's not seamless (if that matters). That is to say, there's loading between maps. (Not sure how much of a newbie you are, so please forgive me if that explanation was too much.)

I wouldn't recommend it though, even though I am literally downloading it (again) as I type this. It's got graphics and an interface that only an EQ-lifer could love. I haven't played on the newest (Progression) server, which might be more newbie and explorer friendly, but most of the servers are full of high level players who have "been there and done that," and you'll need help from other players to see/survive many areas in the game.