Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 10 Second Impressions from RPG411 site!!! "Don't bother. Really"

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Not to be confused with or hijack the previous thread on the MMOCRUNCH number here is a new thread to discuss the impressions of RPG411 on Mortal Online.  While I am obviously skepical of any review based on such short gameplay, at least they have an actual article where they explain their impressions.

Up to date initial impressions of the game as it stands now:

Posted by Patti Lewis on May 20th, 2011

Don't bother. Really.

How can you review a game that ticks you off within the first 10 seconds of play? Not sure, but I’m going to give you my impressions of Mortal Online anyway.

I can sum up my experience in two words:  Don’t bother.  Which is too bad, because the game description online sounds interesting. It’s supposed to be an open-ended free world where you can focus on PVP, PVE, crafting, whatever interests you. If you can figure out how to move your character around, interact with objects and not get dizzy from the viewpoint, that is.

The characters are … well, they’re ugly.  You can customize your character, but none of the customizations appear to cut down on the ugly factor. Stop-a-sundial ugly.  Yeah.

Character creation isn’t all that intuitive. You can choose from one of four “clades” (whatever that means), Oghmir, Alvarin, Human and Halfbreed.  They loosely boil down to Orcs (or something like that), Elves, Humans and Half-Elves. You’re not given any idea what differentiates one from the other on the initial screen. Then you have to choose an ancestry, which appears to have no point at all beyond what your character’s going to look like (I guess).

You can choose your character’s age, and apply some points to different stats. If you’ve played RPGs for a while, the stats (at least) are familiar. Then you enter a first name and surname, and choose a starting area. There’s an option for a random starting area, but not for random names.  Some sort of random name generator might be helpful for those of us who aren’t particularly good at pulling them out of thin air. Just sayin’.

Okay, your character’s ready to go. Enter the world.

That’s when I logged out and deleted my account. Your mouse is useless, except for looking around. You can’t use it to move, you can’t select anything, you can’t choose anything on your screen. Movement is via keyboard only, as is everything else, apparently. It seems like the type of game that would be better suited for a console-type controller, not a PC.

Verdict:  Time spent downloading this game: 2 hours. Time spent played: 1 minute.

FAIL!!!

Like I said: Don’t bother.

If any of you actually enjoys this game, please let me know what it is you like about it, and explain what’s so great about it that you’d actually pay for it.  Pay for the game, and a subscription fee each month. Really. I’m all ears.

http://www.rpg411.com/2011/05/mortal-online-the-10-second-impression/

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

year or so when i tried it last time,now if some wowplayer doesnt like it,then i might,gotta try it once again.

Generation P

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I agree with pretty much everything, EXCEPT the fact that the author wasn't able to use the mouse. I can't even comment on that without a 24h-ban standing ready ;)

I am the last one to defend MO, as I have been vocal against it's many flaws ever since beta, but this is a game that can be thoroughly enjoyed for at least 1h.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I'm not a fan of MO at all , I actually disputed the charges when I discovered the state of the game a year or so back.

However ...  this reviewer loses all credibility when he decided to release a review of a game within one minute of starting it up. I'm not sure why this was even posted ... lets not give attention to reviewers or the companies they are associated with who are unworthy of being reviewers.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Edit: Sorry didnt saw that was not your review but a review ona site, anyway that my opinion about that review :D

I can't take you seriously when you say you played for 10 seconds no way you can make a review out of that.

My opinion in your review, Don't bother.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

This guy didn't even take the time to figure out how even the basics of the interface work.

He didn't play the game enough to understand it on even the most fundamental level. In other words, his 'review' = FAIL

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

It's kind of funny, but I actually agree with this review.  The game is crap.  Don't bother, that's damn good advice.

I like to complain about games.
  • Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I havent played MO still but that is the worst review i have ever read, i mean its stupid.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I managed to play long enough to kill one of those weasel things right outside of the starting area. Couldn't take any more of it.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

^  That one.  I ventured out into the world, looked around, killed a few random animals...  Just, I don't really understand how games like this get made.  Worse yet, why people would buy and support them.

I like to complain about games.
  • EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

What a FAIL REVIEW. Can't even call it a review.

Too lazy to read at least 5 minutes and learn how to control your character..? Smells like WoW generation.

The game has it's problems, just like any other, but moving or controlling your char has nothing to do with it.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I never understood the hype for MO. Just like I didnt understand the hype for Aion. Neither of those games did anything new or exciting. MO looks like a depressing place where cynical a-holes (or pvp addicts) would hang out all day. Looking at screen shots and videos, put me to sleep so I was sure this game would fail big time. After playing MMOs for nearly 13+ years, I've noticed that MMOs have been sucking because people seem to think that everything needs to be made into an mmo because mmos are somehow the ultimate genre. People need to stop making mmo and make single player games and leave MMOs to the people who truely want to make their dream game. MO looks more like a nightmare.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by Redemp

However ...  this reviewer loses all credibility when he decided to release a review of a game within one minute of starting it up. I'm not sure why this was even posted ... lets not give attention to reviewers or the companies they are associated with who are unworthy of being reviewers.

^ This

The  reviewer is just looking for shock factor and trying to troll any fanbois. Some of the best games I have played have "ticked me off in the first 10 seconds".

I can plainly say that this reviewer is an uneducated, worthless, mouthbreather who is a waste of oxygen. 

OH... and I played MO for the trial, saw it was fairly light on content, slightly buggy, but had good ideas... so this is no fanboi lashout... I just hate useless people.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66

You guys are silly. It does not take long to find out if you like something or not. Next time you are in an elevator and someone farts, dont get off at the next floor. Ride the elevator all the way and give the fart a chance.. maybe it dosen't really stink. 10 seconds aint enough time to tell if a fart smells bad or not.

if a game is as bad as this, you do not have to give it a month, or a day, or five minutes. if it dosen't grab you, then it dosen't grab you.  It is what it is. These writers are making opinions anyway.. i don't see how they lack credability.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Lol. What a horrible review......

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Yeah that review is waaaaaay off. It took me 10 minutes of playing MO for me to realize I didn't like it. But I think the seeds of dislike were being sown in the first 10 seconds, just hadn't fully formed hehe.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by apollobsg75

You guys are silly. It does not take long to find out if you like something or not. Next time you are in an elevator and someone farts, dont get off at the next floor. Ride the elevator all the way and give the fart a chance.. maybe it dosen't really stink. 10 seconds aint enough time to tell if a fart smells bad or not.

if a game is as bad as this, you do not have to give it a month, or a day, or five minutes. if it dosen't grab you, then it dosen't grab you.  It is what it is. These writers are making opinions anyway.. i don't see how they lack credability.

True but theres a difference between having an opinion and writing a useless review.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Sounds to me like he messed with the character creation, logged in for 10minutes and then ragequit, doesnt take long to realise both the ancestory and clade have an impact on your character build,

MO is very differentt to most mmos, it isnt for everyone and i hope it never is because some people make some seriously retarded suggestions on the forums.

i think that you can actually enjoy mmo if intially disliking it, as i did when i first palyed the game in beta. The main reason for this is that the inital player experience sucks balls in MO. But its a very different experience once you know what your doing and you have a maxed character etc.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Maybe it's the MMO version of speed dating...

Anyhow.. at least the person clearly listed the reasons why they uninstalled the game so quickly.  We can disagree with them, but at least they clearly explained what they found objectionable.  It obviously has less merit than someone who played the game for a month, but it also is obviously a step up from a "score" which is just a number with no text or accompanying explanation of the "review".

At least we know this person played for a minute!  Unlike some sites...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• nortoninortoni Member Posts: 48

It is all my fault.  I have wanted this game to work so badly and I succeeded... 

Still, the game has merit.  That being said, I'm about ready to give up on it.  Don't let my opinion stop you though.  Its all about what you want in a game.

I wanted full loot; I got it.

I wanted the danger attendant with PvP full loot; I got it.  Note, I'm wholly incompetent at PvP so I die a lot.  Still it beats AI.

I wanted to mine and cut wood and...   well, I got that too.

There are a lot of things that work poorly or not at all.  Still If you want polish go play something more like WoW.  Its a pretty hard core niche game and it just isn't going to appeal to most.

I did not want hacking but the game, like many others, has it.  It has hacking at such a high level as to no longer be fun.  Your only defense is to hack back and I just don't want to bother.  The game population surges when there is a new release but rapidly falls off as the disappointed and the restless go elsewhere.  The developers?  They defend you against hackers with...get this...a strict policy; one that is so rarely enforced as to be negligible and of such a wrist-slap nature that any self respecting hacking PK player spends most of his/her tiime gigling when it comes up.

The devs are in a bind.  They're too small to enforce and too small to fix things rapidly.  If enough of the hacking PK players stay and continue to find willing victims then the game will continue to limp along.

If it dies I will mourne its passing.

Its about me

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Let me guess, was it that angry German kid who made the review?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by Torgrim

Let me guess, was it that angry German kid who made the review?

Did you mean this guy?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3tVXpLyMx8

Think he was Portuguese.. and the author of this article is listed as "Patti" so I don't think it's the same guy...

• RuellisRuellis Member Posts: 48

hmm I wonder which game the reviewer do enjoy?

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

I'd be the last person to touch this game, but this woman's review just reeks of the classic "it's too hard!" mentality.  "I can't figure out the character creation!  I can't figure out the controls!"  Really?

Edit: review, not interview.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by twodayslate

I'd be the last person to touch this game, but this woman's review just reeks of the classic "it's too hard!" mentality.  "I can't figure out the character creation!  I can't figure out the controls!"  Really?

I agree completely.  I have no idea why RPG411 would let this guy post on there site.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by username509

Originally posted by twodayslate

I agree completely.  I have no idea why RPG411 would let this guy post on there site.  

It's a she: google search turns up a twitter account owned by a Patti Lewis, full of links to RPG411 articles penned by an author of the same name.  I could make a comment about how that might affect reviews of such a title, but that would be considered politically incorrect, regardless of how accurate the observation may or may not be.